What's new

Do you wear denim? George Will thinks you are a immature slob (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Actually that is a pretty funny article.
Aside from work and weddings, all I have ever worn is jeans, by the way.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's an oddly asinine article that ignores the obvious: denim pants are comfortable. More comfortable, in general, than typical khakis or dress pants. Denin is affordable, often less than dress pants. And denim goes with almost everything, so the unfashionable male doesn't have to worry (and get wrong) whether to to wear light brown, dark brown, or black pants; denim serves all purpose.

That said, I cringe at times at the slobification of the workplace.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Does this guy think that most Americans are yuppie golfers that never get their knees dirty?? :laugh: We sit in our mansions while our maids, butlers, and gardeners handle our chores??

The last time I checked, I could get my jeans dirty/muddy (from the harsh New England winter mess) and a quick wash in the washing machine would solve the case. Ever try to get encrusted road salt/grit out of a pair of Dockers, George? :P

Although, I guess one wouldn't know anything about road salt when you get picked up, curbside by your stretch limo. LMAO!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is that guy only put on jeans to sell a false image of himself.

There is a great story of an interview he gave on his ranch. His handlers showed up first and to their horror found him decked out in full English riding gear. If I remember correctly they had to provide him with the western attire.

That makes sense considering the he came from a time in Hollywood when actors were always nicely attired when in public.

As for Will’s article, I would agree that jeans are often worn in situations in which they are inappropriate attire but there is no accounting for taste.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I know the dress code out here on the West Coast is much more casual than on the East Coast. A Polo shirt and Khaki's is the norm out here. And I've seen guys walking down the halls at Palm in Sunnyvale wearing a tank top, shorts and thongs. Doesn't bother me a bit if they do their job well (I know, Palm isn't doing too well right now but who is?).

As for denim, I wear it all the time. As long as it's neat and clean and not too in-appropriate, who cares what it is? I know George Will is a well respected journalist, but in this case, f*%#'em.

Sorry, I'm having a lousy day
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

troy evans

Screenwriter
What's so wrong with denim jeans? That's what I wear and my friends and so on. This guys a trip. However, I will say that sweat pants are sloppy looking on most people and I can't imagine why people wear them casually in public. People who wear sweat pants in public have given up on life.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And then there's always this guy. :laugh:

I'll bet every president since FDR has worn jeans.

EDIT Well maybe not Harry Truman...he was a haberdasher previously. But how about FDR's smarter cousin?

"Perdicaris alive, or Raisuli dead!" :emoji_thumbsup:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

I have degrees in physics, math, and a doctorate in law. Summers in college I got a job cleaning the printing press at the San Jose Merc after the night's run was over, and came home looking like a coal miner. When working as a defense contractor I had to install and debug prototype systems on ships and submarines worldwide, and it was a tough and dirty job on occasion. I restored old British sportscars as a hobby, and still do all my own work on my cars. When money was tight I re-roofed my own home. In retirement I keep a rake in my pickup since I volunteered to run the irrigation system for our HOA, and have to pull debris out of the irrigation canal so the water runs right. I also hike distances in the Sawtooth Wilderness area with a pack on my back, a pistol in my holster, and jeans on my legs.

Somehow Will comes across as some Nancy-boy who coasted through J-school and never did an honest day's work in his life. I'm far better educated than him and never shirked honest work. IMHO that's what made America a great country: her educated classes would do what it took to get the job done.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I had a similar conversation with an old friend of my father-in-law about 15 years ago. He railed against everyone wearing jeans on a holiday (Thanksgiving) while he was decked out in dark brown Sansabelt slacks, a baby blue golf shirt, black socks, and white shoes. Thanks but I'll stick with the denim.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe Will is experiencing AndyRooneyization -- the unfortunate transition of journalist into ranting about stupid, obvious things in their twilight years.

When George Will observes that there are not, in fact, any pebbles in "Fruity Pebbles", we'll know he's fully there.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
How un-American!! :eek: Blue jeans are right up there with baseball and apple pie. Reminds me of the time I had to sit outside during a school dance because I wore blue jeans. The principal thought they contributed to bad behavior. Jeans were all I owned.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I don't see anything wrong with jeans except:

If it's a jean-jacket, GROOOOOOSSSSS!
If it's too dark.
If it's too light.
If it's acid washed

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I work in a warehouse and do a lot of loading, lifting, pulling, pushing and cleaning..... jeans are pretty much the required uniform! I love my denim! Infact if I could I would wear it every day.... oh wait I do!

I personally do not want to have to be dressed to the nines every day like women use to back in the day. If I had to put on a dress and heals every day and make sure my hair was curled just so and that my makeup was on right, I would be miserable. I enjoy getting dressed up for special occasions, but an every day thing is just too much for me.

Besides, I can look just as nice in my denim as I would in dress. Hell, Brooke Shields made denim sexy with her white buttoned down shirt and her Calvins!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks