What's new

Are declining dvd sales extra trouble for tv dvd's? (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It isn't adding up to a good picture for the long-term health of TV on DVD. As a result, every new item that does get out is taking on greater significance for me.

I will admit that frustrated as I am over the fact that so many favorite shows of mine are either stuck in limbo-land ("Dragnet") or may never get released, I am more and more learning to try the fine art of being happy with what there *is* available and what has gotten out over the last six years when the pace of TV on DVD picked up more. There has to come a point when the "collector" impulse for wanting more titles should try to give way a bit more to the desire to go through a collection and just enjoy what there is to see, and certainly after six years there's a lot more one can watch at one's own leisure than many of us might have thought possible not too many years ago.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Interesting that Sony was the one interviewed in that article. Sony has pretty much dropped out of the TV on DVD market. At least for what I buy. I haven't bought a Sony TV set since season 7 of Bewitched came out.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Barney Miller" S3 was one bright light in what is otherwise a vast sea of darkness from Sony.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well, We just had three unreleased tv shows announced for DVD's today: "Hotel," "The Nation," and "the Lucy Show," so that might give us a bit of hope for awhile.

James

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I belong to the "Resign myself to enjoying what I already own" camp. In my opinion, any show that's worth collecting has already been released anyway. Sony seems to be public enemy no. 1 with lots of unfinished series: Benson and One Day At A Time come to mind. Instead of sitting around waiting for them to finish your favorite show, why not revisit something you may not have had time to thorougly enjoy previously. I'm looking forward to re-experience The X-Files, MacGyver, Sliders and The Twilight Zone. When I'm done with those I have the later Seasons of The Jeffersons waiting in the wings.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And I would also add this. Try a bit harder to not let the fact that a show you love is incomplete keep you from enjoying what *is* on DVD. It's tough to come to the end of a season and know there should be more to enjoy, but there's no shame in having fun watching the episodes that are out and can be enjoyed again.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that is good news. The thing is many of these are upstarts(First seasons sell the best). Where are the continuation of shows like:
-Fantasy Island

-CHIPS

-The Love Boat

-The Fall Guy

-Happy Days.

-Silver Spoons

-The Facts of Life

I have to give CBS/Paramount credit. They seem to be the only studio going full steam in the tv on dvd market. But the lack of news on their existing shows(like the Love Boat, and Happy Days) has got me worried that they too will start to decline the rate of their releases.

As far as WB, Fox, and Sony are concerned....well let's just say their shows are unstable at best.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Paramount has irritated me more than anyone, because they split some of their Spelling shows into half-seasons. Paramount: I JUST WANT Melrose Place and Dynasty to reach their conclusions by the end of the world, okay???

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A series that is released in split seasons is better than no release at all.
At least that's how I feel about it.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe some of the studios are waiting to see where the Blu-ray market goes in the next year or two. I will not upgrade. I am not impressed and I don't believe the studios will pour money into releasing older shows on Blu-ray. I mean, All in the Family was filmed cheaply and will never look better than it does now. I just picked up Barney Miller, Hawaii Five-o, Mannix and will be buying Mission Impossible next week. I think the market looks pretty stable. Now is a good time to catch up on some dvds or to fill up your season set collections. Do you think Complete sets will start becoming the norm in this new market? I mean, I will no longer pick up a season one set if I feel that no more are on the way-One Day AT A Time is one I passed on and Silver Spoons. I do hope Barney Miller sold enough to warrant more releases. It truly is so funny. Now, I would be willing to upgrade if Paramount releases I Love Lucy on Blu-Ray, or Hawaii Five-o. I don't think this market is over by a long shot. We are just going through a slump right now.

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator
I think we might end up seeing more DVDs on Demand like Charles in Charge Season 4 for less popular shows. I'd rather have a regular release, but it beats no release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks