What's new

Hotel-Season 1 will finally be released on DVD(21st July) (1 Viewer)

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
The James Brolin, Connie Selleca and Anne Baxter 80´s soap "Hotel"-Season1 will finally be released on 21st July.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Don't think the music or songs will be any problem here, it's all composed for the show AFAIK. Really looking forward to this, but I don't really see the "Love Boat" comparison, apart from many famous guests. Unlike LB it was not about showing the plights of many guest stories in an episode, but concentrated more on one (or two). It's not light comedy, but drama often with crime taking place among the guests, theft, lovers' spat, even the odd murder IIRC. It's been quite awhile since I saw it last, actually.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Man, I remember watching this as a kid and it had always rattled around in my head as something I thought would be good for a DVD, but was something I assumed was so far down on the list of priorities that it stood no chance.

I'd certainly consider getting a season, just to see if it holds up. Remember very well an episode where the spoiled kids of a hotel guest keep prank calling security crying wolf. Funny until they actually DO witness a murder... and they think it's their babysitter responsible!

Yeah, cheap 80s fun, but I liked it.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Wow, I had long since given up on this ever being released. I believe I even removed it from my tvshowsondvd want list. I think with this coming out there is a good chance every Aaron Spelling show will see a release. You can't go wrong with Connie Selleca here and a full-season set from CBS/Paramount = A must purchase for me in July.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Same here. I haven't seen that much of the series, and this first release will be a definite purchase for me.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Tvshow....- has the cover of "Hotel-Season 1" and a summary of the first season online.
There will be 22 episodes and the rare-seen original pilot.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Has the 1967 film Hotel ever been released on DVD?

Below is a link to the TVShowsOnDVD news article with the front cover artwork for the Hotel: The First Season (Region 1) boxset:

Hotel: The First Season (Region 1) boxset - front cover artwork

It dosen't state on the front cover that it is the complete first season, so I'm betting that if the music is intact there will be CBS/Paramount logos at the end of the end credits.

Will CBS/Paramount be digitally remastering all of the first season episodes and the pilot TV movie, like they have done with the Mission: Impossible (1966-73), Hawaii Five-O, Mannix and Dynasty (Region 1) boxsets?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

It's not listed as being transfered to HD. Does anyone know if Hotel was shot on film and posted in video like Matlock?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

That's a good question. I thought that the practice you describe (shooting on film, editing on video) didn't start till around '86 with series like "Dallas" and "Knots Landing," as well as "Matlock." The only real way to tell, I think, is to wait for the first release to arrive (I've already pre-ordered it, by the way).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Don't know when the practice started, but if you look at some of CBS/P's releases from the same time period, most of them are not remastered. TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE, FAMILY TIES, and FRIDAY THE 13th are 3 examples. I'm betting HOTEL will look similar to these.

Gary "this show did have a Christmas episode, so I'm going to have to at least think about it" O.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Tales from the Darkside & Friday the 13th were posted in video which is why they can't truly be remastered like Hawaii Five-O or Mission Impossible. Family Ties was shot on video and cut on video. You can only tweak video. You can't remaster it.

Did notice on imdb that Hotel is listed as being shot 35mm. Perhaps since it's a Spelling production in 1982, he kept it film through out the process. The best way to check is the credits. Do the titles on Hotel look like the were done by am optical house or cranked out by a video titlemaker?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

That's another good question. I saw part of the titles from an '83 episode w/the late Jon-Erik Hexum (I think it was '83), and it's kind of hard to tell exactly which way it was done-- looks somewhat like a combination of both. The elevator graphic that was used to indicate the guest stars looks like an optical, whereas the guest star name graphics look like they were made by a video titlemaker. All this, however, is just a guess of mine.

Here's the clip in question from YouTube:
YouTube - Jon-Erik Hexum: Scenes from Hotel (1983) 1

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I think you're right. I trust your judgment. They do look like they were made at an optical house, I agree.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When is TVShowsonDVD.com coming out with back-side art for this upcoming "Hotel" release? I'd like to see what it'll look like on the back.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
This new look on HTF, not sure if i like it much. Well only a couple more weeks till Hotel comes out! Looking Forward to it!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Curious to know if it has subtitles, knowing Parmount, it's a gamble whether or not they do. DVD subtitles = a human right. Especially from the big studios.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
No subtitles - only Closed Captioned. The transfers look good. Not sure if they went back and did a highdef pass of the 35mm, but it looks about the same quality of the Love Boat DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks