Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hotel-Season 1 will finally be released on DVD(21st July)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 12:05 AM

The James Brolin, Connie Selleca and Anne Baxter 80´s soap "Hotel"-Season1 will finally be released on 21st July.

#2 of 99 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 12:18 AM

Was licensed music ever a big thing on this show?
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#3 of 99 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 01:16 AM

Don't think the music or songs will be any problem here, it's all composed for the show AFAIK. Really looking forward to this, but I don't really see the "Love Boat" comparison, apart from many famous guests. Unlike LB it was not about showing the plights of many guest stories in an episode, but concentrated more on one (or two). It's not light comedy, but drama often with crime taking place among the guests, theft, lovers' spat, even the odd murder IIRC. It's been quite awhile since I saw it last, actually.

#4 of 99 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 02:28 AM

Man, I remember watching this as a kid and it had always rattled around in my head as something I thought would be good for a DVD, but was something I assumed was so far down on the list of priorities that it stood no chance.

I'd certainly consider getting a season, just to see if it holds up. Remember very well an episode where the spoiled kids of a hotel guest keep prank calling security crying wolf. Funny until they actually DO witness a murder... and they think it's their babysitter responsible!

Yeah, cheap 80s fun, but I liked it.
So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#5 of 99 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 02:42 AM

Wow, I had long since given up on this ever being released. I believe I even removed it from my tvshowsondvd want list. I think with this coming out there is a good chance every Aaron Spelling show will see a release. You can't go wrong with Connie Selleca here and a full-season set from CBS/Paramount = A must purchase for me in July.

#6 of 99 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Leroux
Wow, I had long since given up on this ever being released. I believe I even removed it from my tvshowsondvd want list. I think with this coming out there is a good chance every Aaron Spelling show will see a release. You can't go wrong with Connie Selleca here and a full-season set from CBS/Paramount = A must purchase for me in July.

Same here. I haven't seen that much of the series, and this first release will be a definite purchase for me.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season, modified from what it was in 1985, in that "other financial services" was said instead of just "financial services")

#7 of 99 OFFLINE   Mr. Pacino

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 07:04 AM

Tvshow....- has the cover of "Hotel-Season 1" and a summary of the first season online.
There will be 22 episodes and the rare-seen original pilot.

#8 of 99 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted April 25 2009 - 09:11 AM

I loved this show, and am pleased that the pilot with Bette Davis will be included.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#9 of 99 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 09:22 AM

Has the 1967 film Hotel ever been released on DVD?

Below is a link to the TVShowsOnDVD news article with the front cover artwork for the Hotel: The First Season (Region 1) boxset:

Hotel: The First Season (Region 1) boxset - front cover artwork

It dosen't state on the front cover that it is the complete first season, so I'm betting that if the music is intact there will be CBS/Paramount logos at the end of the end credits.

Will CBS/Paramount be digitally remastering all of the first season episodes and the pilot TV movie, like they have done with the Mission: Impossible (1966-73), Hawaii Five-O, Mannix and Dynasty (Region 1) boxsets?

#10 of 99 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Will CBS/Paramount be digitally remastering all of the first season episodes and the pilot TV movie, like they have done with the Mission: Impossible (1966-73), Hawaii Five-O, Mannix and Dynasty (Region 1) boxsets?

It's not listed as being transfered to HD. Does anyone know if Hotel was shot on film and posted in video like Matlock?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#11 of 99 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
It's not listed as being transfered to HD. Does anyone know if Hotel was shot on film and posted in video like Matlock?

That's a good question. I thought that the practice you describe (shooting on film, editing on video) didn't start till around '86 with series like "Dallas" and "Knots Landing," as well as "Matlock." The only real way to tell, I think, is to wait for the first release to arrive (I've already pre-ordered it, by the way).
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season, modified from what it was in 1985, in that "other financial services" was said instead of just "financial services")

#12 of 99 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters9
That's a good question. I thought that the practice you describe (shooting on film, editing on video) didn't start till around '86 with series like "Dallas" and "Knots Landing," as well as "Matlock." The only real way to tell, I think, is to wait for the first release to arrive (I've already pre-ordered it, by the way).

Don't know when the practice started, but if you look at some of CBS/P's releases from the same time period, most of them are not remastered. TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE, FAMILY TIES, and FRIDAY THE 13th are 3 examples. I'm betting HOTEL will look similar to these.

Gary "this show did have a Christmas episode, so I'm going to have to at least think about it" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#13 of 99 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Don't know when the practice started, but if you look at some of CBS/P's releases from the same time period, most of them are not remastered. TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE, FAMILY TIES, and FRIDAY THE 13th are 3 examples. I'm betting HOTEL will look similar to these.

Tales from the Darkside & Friday the 13th were posted in video which is why they can't truly be remastered like Hawaii Five-O or Mission Impossible. Family Ties was shot on video and cut on video. You can only tweak video. You can't remaster it.

Did notice on imdb that Hotel is listed as being shot 35mm. Perhaps since it's a Spelling production in 1982, he kept it film through out the process. The best way to check is the credits. Do the titles on Hotel look like the were done by am optical house or cranked out by a video titlemaker?
come see the reviews at

#14 of 99 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Tales from the Darkside & Friday the 13th were posted in video which is why they can't truly be remastered like Hawaii Five-O or Mission Impossible. Family Ties was shot on video and cut on video. You can only tweak video. You can't remaster it.

Did notice on imdb that Hotel is listed as being shot 35mm. Perhaps since it's a Spelling production in 1982, he kept it film through out the process. The best way to check is the credits. Do the titles on Hotel look like the were done by am optical house or cranked out by a video titlemaker?

That's another good question. I saw part of the titles from an '83 episode w/the late Jon-Erik Hexum (I think it was '83), and it's kind of hard to tell exactly which way it was done-- looks somewhat like a combination of both. The elevator graphic that was used to indicate the guest stars looks like an optical, whereas the guest star name graphics look like they were made by a video titlemaker. All this, however, is just a guess of mine.

Here's the clip in question from YouTube:
YouTube - Jon-Erik Hexum: Scenes from Hotel (1983) 1

#15 of 99 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 11:41 AM

those do look like they were done at an optical house.
come see the reviews at

#16 of 99 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted June 05 2009 - 01:37 PM

Quote:
those do look like they were done at an optical house.

I think you're right. I trust your judgment. They do look like they were made at an optical house, I agree.

#17 of 99 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 10:43 PM

When is TVShowsonDVD.com coming out with back-side art for this upcoming "Hotel" release? I'd like to see what it'll look like on the back.

#18 of 99 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 01:42 AM

This new look on HTF, not sure if i like it much. Well only a couple more weeks till Hotel comes out! Looking Forward to it!

#19 of 99 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 03:16 AM

Curious to know if it has subtitles, knowing Parmount, it's a gamble whether or not they do. DVD subtitles = a human right. Especially from the big studios.

#20 of 99 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 03:20 AM

No subtitles - only Closed Captioned. The transfers look good. Not sure if they went back and did a highdef pass of the 35mm, but it looks about the same quality of the Love Boat DVDs.
come see the reviews at

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow