What's new

J. G. Ballard has died. (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
From news.scotsman.com

By CLAIRE GARDNER
"THE acclaimed author JG Ballard, whose novels include Crash and Empire of the Sun, has died after a long illness. He was 78.
His agent, Margaret Hanbury, said Ballard, who had been suffering from prostate cancer, died at his home in Shepperton in west London, yesterday.

Despite being referred to as a science fiction writer, Ballard said his books were "picturing the
psychology of the future".

His most acclaimed novel was Empire of the Sun, based on his childhood in a Japanese prison camp in China.

In a prolific career, James Graham Ballard attracted critical acclaim and controversy in equal measure."

He wrote Empire Of The Sun and Crash (the good one).

His novel "Crash" (1973) was rejected by a publishing house reader who wrote, "This author is beyond psychiatric help. Do Not Publish!"

Was revealed that he declined a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) honor for "services to literature" in 2003. He told The Sunday Times, "Thousands of medals are given out in the name of a non-existent empire. It makes us look a laughing stock and encourages deference to the crown. I think it is exploited by politicians and always has been." [December 2003]

Personal Quotes
"The future is going to be boring. The suburbanisation of the planet will continue, and the suburbanisation of the soul will follow soon after."

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks to whoever fixed my topic header.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I first got into J. G. Ballard in the late 90s (just before Cronenberg's Crash adaptation was released in Canada)--loved his urban nightmare/dystopian trilogy (Crash, Concrete Island and High Rise) and even his early, literary science fiction (very good for people--like me--who aren't interested in reading science fiction).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks