What's new

Star Trek: TOS - Season 1 on Blu = AWESOME (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Wow, one can really tell you loved it. Wish i didnt have to wait 2 weeks, or so, for my copy.

It seems the menu is faster than the pre-restoration DVD season sets? Am i right? Moving menus are cool, the first 1/2 dozen times. Then they are a pain in the arse to wait for a menu you can work with...i just want to watch an episode...not a menu!

I for one, am VERY happy they have ditched the fancy, and very worthless packaging for this Blu-ray set. The standard Blu-ray case is PERFECT!

Thanks for your review Bill!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't ditch the HD-DVD set yet, since there are features like the "Starfleet Access" PIP material for "Galileo Seven" that didn't go on the Blu-ray release.

I'll just be happier if the menus load faster and are more responsive than the HD-DVD. I had a lot of issues with the remote and the response time with that set.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Ok, I am not big on DVD technology, but am a big Star Trek Fan.

I am confused because there are so many different versions of TOS !

There is regular DVD, DVD HD, and then there is Blu-ray !
Can someone please tell me the difference in these three and I know Iwill not go with blu-ray because I have no blu-ray player.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not well versed in Star Trek (though I was curious as to what the verdict was on this release so I checked out the thread) but I believe that there's...

Original versions are available in:
- DVD season sets
- a decade or so old individual discs that had two episodes per DVD

Remastered episodes (with the new CG effects) are available in:
- DVD season sets

Then the Blu-ray release has BOTH the original and remastered episodes.

HD DVD has the first remastered season (no original versions) but since that format is dead, there won't be a second or third season release.

Once again, I'm going off of memory and I don't own any of them so I could be wrong.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Travis R is right with his analysis on the releases.

Try to go with the Bluray. The HD-DVD set is nice but its very glitchy and hard to get a copy which plays all episodes without lockups or picture break-ups. You can get a decent Bluray drive for the your home computer which will enable you to watch them and all the other great Blurays including the 6 TOS movies!!! Try and avoid buying any DVD's now as they are a dying format and Bluray is a long way ahead the difference is huge and TOS in hi-def looks amazing the picture looks better than ever there is so much detail to see which was missing in previous releases its almost like a new series.

This LG drive is the one to buy its amazing:LG Blu-Ray | GGCH20L : LG UK

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
On DVD you had the original version:

2 episode per disc releases (with remixed 5.1 sound)

Season sets (original version with remixed 5.1 sound)

for remastered you have:

HD-DVD/DVD combo season one

regular DVD releases for season 2 and 3 when HD-DVD fizzled.

The blu ray releases will have the original broadcast audio available on the shows for the first time since laserdisc and VHS.

All DVD releases had reworked soundtracks that sometimes altered/added music cues and sound effects.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Yeah, these guys are right. There are LOTS of different versions. But the Blu-ray I think can safely be called the "ultimate" edition, even with the few things that aren't included from previous sets, for the fact that it contains the highest quality versions of both the original broadcast episodes and the new "remastered" versions. Menus also do load faster and they're much simpler and easier to use - very intuitive.

dlbsyst

Agent
Real Name
Will Brand
Hi Bill,

It would appear that there is a 'fly in the ointment' so to speak. I, as well as others are reporting playback problems pertaining to the seamless branching. Anytime there is a change in the angle, some are reporting a slight jump in the picture/audio and even worse some are losing the audio altogether, having to rewind slighly to get it back. I first noticed a problem at 10:21 episode 'The Man Trap" disc 1. The picture and sound jumps slighly. I haven't noticed this any where else but I admit I haven't watched the complete set yet. My Blu-ray player is a SAMSUNG BD-P1500 connected via HDMI to a YAMAHA RX-V565 (which I love, bye the way) :D I was wondering if you could check into this and possibly contact the studio about this issue.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

The only thing I have noticed is some subtle jerkiness in the video mostly seen in Enterprise flybys occasionally (I suppose that could qualify as a slight jump) but it is nothing extreme and there is no audio disruption.

The only audio problem I had so far is breakup in the audio for one of the Starfleet access segments. I was doing something and didn't play it over again to see if it was more than a one time glitch.

There is a small mistake with City On The Edge Of Forever. The segment where Spock is describing Edith Keeler's effect on history was touched up for the remastered version. And it is branched (2 angles) on the blu ray, but it appears that the segment on both angles is the remastered version.

The fixes are subtle on that segment (and the earlier segment showing the tricorder scene in properly branched with both versions) so it's not too much of a biggie.

But it was a surprise because the first thing I checked out for City is one of the most subtle touch ups that I was half sure would go unnoticed. That would be the beam out and credits at the last act. The mist coming out of the Guardian freezes and un freezes as the group beams out and the credits are superimposed.

The remastered versions maintains the moving mist throughout everything. I half expected it would be overlooked but it wasn't and it was all properly branched.

I expected that the complex nature of this release would make for some bugs. I am glad that they are few (at least as far as I can see) so far.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone checking out the BD Live extras?

Down the shore and forgot to bring my set with me.
curious if anyone is watching the convention footage, and if it will somehow be accessable later through the blu ray

Bill Hunt

Insider
My understanding is that a few models of player - Pioneer in particular - are having trouble with the seamless branching. With luck, a firmware update will correct this. That seems to be the only major issue people are reporting to me.

dlbsyst

Agent
Real Name
Will Brand

Thanks for chiming in Bill. I just got off the phone with SAMSUNG level 2 tech support about this issue. They are not sure that the problem can be fixed with a firmware update or not. I was told to give them a few days and call back. For those with SAMSUNG's I will report what I find out.

dlbsyst

Agent
Real Name
Will Brand
Bill,

Since your player doesn't have playback problems. Could you tell me which one you have?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My Sony 300 and Sony 350 have no issue playing these discs. No problem changing angle on the fly either.

dlbsyst

Agent
Real Name
Will Brand
I have a PANASONIC DMP-BD35 Blu-Ray Player on the way. Hopefully this player handles the seamless branching properly.

dlbsyst

Agent
Real Name
Will Brand

Very nice. I just got my Panasonic DMP-BD35 and can report that all is well. I am playing "the Man trap" episode and not only does the image look better than ever, I am experiencing no play back problems at all. My Samsung is out of here. I will be selling it tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks