Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Withdrawal Symptoms: Have You Suffered?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 10:31 AM

Have you ever sat down and watched a TV Show on DVD, finished watching the series, and became entirely addicted to the show? I'm experiencing these symptoms with I Dream of Jeannie and now that I'm watching Bewitched strait through, I'm still suffering from withdrawal from the TV series. It's irritating because now I'm going to have to continue watching a disk at a time until I'm through with my withdrawal.

I love the series and I'm glad I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms but this is downright disconcerting.

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 10:39 AM

While not quite the same thing, many many years ago ( say in the mid '70s ) I always had this hope that there was at least one episode of Star Trek: TOS that I had not viewed. I still recall going to a Waldenbooks and perusing a Trek book that listed all of the episodes. Much to my chagrin I had seen every episode.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 27 ONLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted April 17 2009 - 10:55 AM

I was so sad to see the Star Trek: Voyager series DVDs come to an end that I went out and bought Star Trek: Enterprise.

...should I be admitting that in public?

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 11:40 AM

:lol: Not really. I own the entire DS9 and Voyager series. I got addicted recently to I Dream of Jeannie after watching all five seasons straight through and now I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel
While not quite the same thing, many many years ago ( say in the mid '70s ) I always had this hope that there was at least one episode of Star Trek: TOS that I had not viewed. I still recall going to a Waldenbooks and perusing a Trek book that listed all of the episodes. Much to my chagrin I had seen every episode.

- Walter.
Walter,

Even after I knew I had seen the original seventy-nine episodes, I held out hope that another would surface one day -- perhaps even some bits from the cutting room floor. How I'd have loved to have seen some footage (e.g.) from Joanna or Paleface. I still hope that this may happen some day. Posted Image

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 19 2009 - 01:17 PM

Not for shows that have all available episodes available on DVD. Some of the shows I had withdrawal on when they were originally cancelled and have suffered secondary pangs once I completed watching the series on DVD (Time Tunnel, The Invaders, Jack of all Trades, Adventures of Brisco County Jr., The Tick, and Earth 2 are some examples of this). Other than that it's only experienced with series that have not completed full release to DVD or have stalled (quite a few of these) and series that are currently still on the air but do not have all seasons on DVD as yet (only a couple).

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 03:28 AM

I went through a certain withdrawal when I got to the end of Buffy season seven. I couldn't believe there was no more. But I can say that about a lot of shows. There are, in fact, very few shows that I liked that I was "done" with at the time of their cancellation. I wish that about 80% of my favorite shows had gone on for another season or two.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

- Walter.

LOL
I know what you mean. After Star Trek TNG went off the air I realized that there was ONE episode that I'd missed. Since this was pre-DVD I had to wait for it to air again. I didn't wind up catching that missed episode until about 5 years later. It was absolutely wonderful catching a "new" episode with my old friends on the Enterprise D. It really made me miss the show when the episode ended and I realized that there would not be one next week. To this day that episode is one of favorites and I don't know if it would have been if I'd caught it when it originally aired - but it's the one that brought back my favorite show years after it was canceled.

To be honest I highly recommend doing this on purpose. The next time you LOVE a show try purposely skipping one episode - then watch it 5 or 10 years later. It will be like a Special was filmed just for you to enjoy.
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
I went through a certain withdrawal when I got to the end of Buffy season seven. I couldn't believe there was no more.

But there was more. Even if you didn't watch Angel (or just didn't consider it "more") there are still the "Season Eight" comic books. Since they are written by Josh Whedon along with the rest of the writing team from Buffy they really feel like a continuation - without the budget constraints or any bickering from the talent.

Personally I'm waiting for a collection in Trade Paperback format since they come out so slowly.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 04:25 AM

Ironside, that why Ive pre ordered s4 from the r4 producer Madman.com.Posted Image
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
Have you ever sat down and watched a TV Show on DVD, finished watching the series, and became entirely addicted to the show? I'm experiencing these symptoms with I Dream of Jeannie and now that I'm watching Bewitched strait through, I'm still suffering from withdrawal from the TV series. It's irritating because now I'm going to have to continue watching a disk at a time until I'm through with my withdrawal.

I love the series and I'm glad I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms but this is downright disconcerting.

Yeah Rawhide and it doesn't seem I'll get my "fix" anytime soon.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Joe*A

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 05:01 AM

I know what you guys are going thru. I, for one, am starting to feel the blues because I just finished the entire MASH series from season 1 to 11. I started back in July 2008 watching every episode and now that it's done, I really feel kind of down (probably what we all felt like back in 1983, when the final episode aired). Posted Image

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 09:33 AM

Everytime I walk through the DVD section of a store, I see the Cheers DVD's and think "Ooo! I wonder if the next season is out!", but then forget that I already own every season. Posted Image

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 10:12 AM

I was starting to have withdrawal pains even before I finished watching Freaks & Geeks a few years ago. I was watching the set in 2 or 3 episodes at a time until I got near the end and would only watch one at a time. I was trying to keep it going as long as I could.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 10:40 AM

Not really. I tend to get a withdrawal when I haven't seen the show in a long time.
Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Qrusher14242

Qrusher14242

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 05:11 PM

Yes, its sad when i get to the end of a show and realize there will never be another episode of it. I tend to get stuck on shows and buy all the DVDs that are out there. I have to see every episode Posted Image

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Dean C

Dean C

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 05:37 PM

Gilligan's Island Since now I own everything the 2 Rescue movies and Return, with the Harlem Globetrotters etc........ It just brings me back to that old 70's series.

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted April 20 2009 - 10:58 PM

Firefly. I never heard of the show when it was on for it's one, partial season. When I watched it after first seeing the movie I couldn't believe it had only lasted one season and there'd be no more DVD sets to purchase.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson
Firefly. I never heard of the show when it was on for it's one, partial season. When I watched it after first seeing the movie I couldn't believe it had only lasted one season and there'd be no more DVD sets to purchase.

Agreed - I love Firefly. Then again, at least it's easy (and cheap) to collect.... one and done. Those 7 year series can be a bit expensive.

It's starting to look like his Dollhouse series may be just as economical - maybe even cheaper since it probably won't have a movie to go along with it. Posted Image

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted April 21 2009 - 01:47 AM

I just thought of another show that I loved and felt withdrawal when it was over.

Highlander: The Series

File this one under the "Be Careful What You Wish For" heading. It was followed up by the terrible "Raven" series, a so-so movie "Highlander: End Game", and the final nail in the coffin "Highlander: The Source". "The Source" is possibly one of the worst movies of all time - and no, I'm not exagerating. It is absolutely painful to watch - the most ignominous ending of a once successful franchise of all time.

So, when your favorite show is lucky enough to have a good 5, 7 or 10 year run and has a good solid ending, be happy and let it go. It is never a good idea to try and raise the dead.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow