What's new

WHV Announcement: Friday The 13th Extended Killer Cut (DVD/Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
logos_friday13th.jpg

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Good God that Blu-ray has some ugly artwork. Very intrinsic of the film itself, cheap and stupid.

That said, I'll be picking this up. The Friday completionist that I am can't NOT buy this thing. :frowning:

Shad R

Supporting Actor
More Willa Ford hopefully. ;)
I might pick this one up. I agree though, that artwork is really bad. Why didn't they just use the mask from the poster, at least that looked cool.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I agree, plus the SD artwork looks better to me, actually. Plus the 'Killer Cut' banner looks awful.
I haven't seen the film, but I'm tempted to buy it if I found it at a bargain somewhere.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
^ I would strongly advocate a rental unless you're a die hard.

I'm curious to watch it again to see if my thoughts change (in the least), but I really disliked most of what the filmmakers came up with for Jason's big comeback.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This was certainly a lot better than parts 7-10. Better than part 3 as well.

I won't be paying $27+ for it but I'll probably get it when they start showing up in used sections at various rental places.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I never understood the drubbing that Part 3 gets from a lot of people. I personally regard Part 3 as one of my favorites. I thought Jason was pretty good in that one. It had one of the coolest kills (the harpoon through the eye) I liked the look of the mask in that one the best I think. I like that it was shot in widescreen.

As for this release, I had serious criticisms of the film, but, yeah the completist in me is tempting me to buy it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I like Part 3 but in my mind, it's the weakest of the first four movies. It suffers because they had to have the obligatory "Ohhhh, this is in 3-D!!" shots, the special effects look fake, alot of the performances are terrible (even giving them some leeway with young actors and that no one is watching F13 for the acting), huge parts of the score are recycled from the first two movies and they reuse the shock ending from the first one. On the plus side, there's some cool kills, Jason gets his mask, he runs, he's threatening, his face looks cool, Shelly is fun and there's the great disco theme.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I liked the remake and think other that it's better than any of the sequels after Part VI.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I try not to count the 3-D gags against the film too much, because it was a 3-D film they kind of had to to some of those gags. As far as the score, I kind of like it. I know a lot of it is recycled (although some of it was original and I liked some of what was there), but so what. One of the big complaints about the remake was how little of the original score was used. Aside from the 3-D cheesiness, there's nothing about Part 3 in my mind that is any worse than any of the other ones.

But yeah, there are alot of strengths as well. Jason is pretty badass in that one (I like his vocalizations as he get attacked). Chris was actually pretty good a fighting back on a couple of occasions. And Shelly was one of the most memorable characters in the whole series.

MattFini

Supporting Actor

Frankly, I found it to be the worst in the entire series. It was lacking all the tension, suspense and atmosphere that made the earliest entries so good, and couldn't even muster the cornball innovation of the later ones.

I might be willing to say it's better than FvJ, but that's absolutely it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I've never found any of them scary. The first one has a low-budget effectiveness to it while the "sack" mask from part 2 is eerie. I think the technical quality keeps all of them away from being something like HALLOWEEN.

The New Line films certainly had a different feel to them and you're right that the atmosphere of the remake isn't the same as the original but I've always seen this as a good thing. I'm glad we have two different atmospheres so I can pick which one I want to watch.

I'm not for or against the remakes of "classic" movies as long as they are different. The countless sequels are usually unoriginal enough so I'm glad when a remake steps out and makes its own identity. I thought the remake to F13 pays great homage to the original series but it also stepped out and did its own thing. As much as I love the early films (1,2,4-6) I must say that I think the Jason here probably would have kicked the ass of any earlier version. This is the one Jason I wouldn't want to mess with and the added outrageous nudity and kills just makes the film worth viewing for me.

Re: 3

Didn't like any of the characters, thought Jason was rather weak and I'll never understand the ending, as Travis said, which pretty much copies that of the original movie. I'm sure the decapitation ending would have been great but at the same time I think anything would have been better than what we got. However, I'm somewhat glad it was rather weak because it seemed to put more fuel into the fire for part 4. I guess you could also say I'm glad 5 was hated when it was released because it gave us something new in part 6. I enjoy 5 as a campy entertainment but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I didn't really have any issues with Jason himself in the new movie.

For me, however, the "white trash" Crystal Lake setting was really disappointing. I understand that this is a remake and so it's not technically the 'same' Crystal Lake (even though I don't really buy that reason). But the fact that this was SO close in look and feel to the Dunes' previous TCM remake really illustrates a disappointing lack of vision on the part of the filmmakers.

And the characters in this were the worst out of just about any Friday movie. Good God, Jason couldn't kill them quick enough.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I liked both the teaser poster and the 1 sheet a lot better than the movie itself. That 'Killer Cut' graphic is pretty ugly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That's for sure. Note to the writer of this film: You don't have to make the characters complete assholes, or morons in order to be killed by Jason. Give them a little depth and likeability, and it's becomes a much scarier, intense movie. This is why the original film, and it's sequel are still tops for me.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Any problems reported with this release? I go to play it and the initial FBI warning screen colors pulsate, then the New Line HD logo s OK, then the R rating screen pulsates and the movie starts. I get no choice of which cut and I cannot find the option in any of the menus..... This is rather annoing. Anyone else having an issue with it?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I think that is what it is supposed to do. It defaults to the longer cut (both are rated R) and begins playing with no menu screen.

If you go into the extras page, the top option is to play the theatrical cut.

It took me a while to figure it out as well.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Has anyone seen a review detailing how the Killer Cut (106 mins) differs from the theatrical (97 mins)?

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

THanks, the layout is a bit confusing in that way. Still not sure about the pulsing of colors on the FBI warning and rating screens, everything else plays fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks