What's new

3-D Blu-ray Made Simple: Which would you prefer? (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
Option 1: Dolby method
* Compatible with most current Blu-ray players (does not require new player purchase in most cases)
* May require new HDTV purchase, but is compatible with many current 3D DLP HDTVs (requires new TV purchase if you do not have one of these)
* Should be compatible with most current HDMI equipment (i.e. A/V receivers, scalers, etc)
* Full color 3-D
* Effective resolution of 960x1080

Option 2: Panasonic method
* Requires new Blu-ray player purchase
* Requires new HDTV purchase
* Players will likely need dual HDMI outputs as the 3-D video portion will likely be incompatible with current HDMI equipment
* Full color 3-D
* Effective resolution of 1920x1080

What do you think? They both have some clear advantages but only one will be the Blu-ray standard.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Uh, a little more description might be useful.

I'm not sure, off the top of my head, why you couldn't just take advantage of Blu-ray's ability to have two full-HD video streams on Profile 1.1 discs and then have the player do whatever math is necessary to combine them for anaglyph, or output them in a software-selected manner to whatever 3-D device(s) hooked up to the player.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Assuming the method described in Jason Seaver's post couldn't be done, I would opt for the Panasonic method since I would have to buy a new set anyway. The cost of a new Blu-ray player would be minor in relation to the cost of a new set, so I would just replace all of the video gear. In my book, the 1920X1080 resolution of the Panasonic system trumps the 960X1080 resolution of Dolby's system.

Good thing I'm not in the market for a new set for at least another 2-3 years. My old CRT rear projection set is still giving good service; although those new Samsung LED LCD sets are starting to make me a bit antsy for an upgrade. Luckily, the 4500 dollar price tag for the 55" 7000 series is tempering any desire for a new set.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I really can't see either method becoming mainstream enough to warrant that much new gear to be purchased.

I think 3D is a fad (again). Except for some very specific applications (such as medical imaging...maybe), I think 3D will fade just as it did in the 50's. But that's just my opinion.

So, if the Panasonic is of better quality (at least it seems to be resolution-wise), I would pick that. But I don't think there will be much buy-in for either method.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would like to see projectors come onto the market that are HD ready for either system. The current state of the art in movie theatres (Real D) uses an LCD panel mounted in front of the projector to polarize the signal when it is alternating between left and right eyes. It shouldn't be difficult to add an HDMI or control out for such a unit to a projector to control the outboard panel. I'm not sure how LCD shutter glasses setups work with the new 3D ready LCDs and RP DLP displays, but I'm assuming there is some sort of control signal that goes to an outboard processor and drives the LCD shutters. When such setups become economically feasible is when we'll have mainstream acceptance of 3D in the HT realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks