Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: James Bond Volume Three - Recommended

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted April 15 2009 - 07:26 PM

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,166 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 12:46 AM

Great review. I would agree that the content here is very good, and the films have never looked better. However, the packaging for these volumes is so very bad that I am tempted to tell people to stay away. I suppose you can always make your own packaging, but the minimalistic nature of what is here is pathetic.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 06:26 AM

I'm okay with the packaging. But I have heard from different people that the hubs have broken on some sets and they found scratched discs. I personally haven't seen that. For me, I'm still amazed that they packed this much material AND a 1080p transfer onto a single disc each time.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   celica

celica

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 06:41 AM

really detailed review.. thanks mate.. i don't have any trouble with the packaging either..
I Heart Life

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for these thorough reviews. I'd enjoyed most of the Moonraker extras, but had missed the textless opening titles. I picked up Moonraker & Goldfinger separately, and only noticed odd packaging on the latter; a "hollowed-out" plastic case. Is this the packaging people had issues with? (I immediately swapped it with an extra BD case.)
Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 09:10 AM

I believe they're talking about the 3-disc volume, rather than the individual discs. The issue there is that the three discs are loaded into a 3 cardboard page book, with the discs held in place by a rubber hub on the page. For some people, the hubs came unglued and the disc was scratched when they opened the package. It's also not much in the way of packaging, in that you have an outer case that just has the three movies summarized on the back, and then each movie's page in the book has a quick list of the features available. For myself, the hubs are working and I'm not as involved with the packaging. I'm not sure about the hollowed-out plastic case on the individual releases. I am aware of the usual plastic casing, and of a "steelbook" packaging available in some stores like Best Buy or Target. But again, I'm usually less concerned with the container than the contents. That said, I'll be the first to admit that I loved the Blade Runner briefcase idea...

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 10:40 AM

It's a packaging people have issues with; there's been complaints about the three-packs from the start, but only the most recent batch used the "hollowed-out" type. There's at least two threads discussing it in the last month or so (one on Silence of the Lambs, one specifically about "eco-friendly packaging").
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Tim-H.

Tim-H.

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 03:22 PM

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Hm, guess I'll continue to avoid the 3-packs. (But I promise to drink less bottled water...)
Watch THE SNUGGIE KILLER on YouTube!

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts

Posted August 22 2010 - 04:43 AM

I finally watched Moonraker last night. It does look really good! Though I did notice a glitch on my disc and I'm curious if anyone else has. Right after Bond is captured at Drax's launch facility and is dragged out of the water by Jaws, he is led into the launch control center. Right before Bond asks Drax why he stole a Moonraker, my disc freezes. It lasts for about 10 to 15 seconds. An eternity and it freezes on a shot of one of the video displays that shows the status of the launch. It is repeatable, so it must be a disc issue. Any insights is appreciated! It's over a year old now, so I can't exchange it. But I see the single disc is $19.99 at Amazon. I could resort to that.     A few thoughts on the plot. I haven't seen this in a while and I was kinda surprised how close it was to The Spy Who Loved Me. Even the action. Meglomaniac wants to kill everyone so he can create his own ideal world. One by nuclear bombs and the other by poisoning all the humans while they sit it out underwater or in orbit.   What is interesting is that the plot to Goldeneye bears a strong resemblance to Moonraker, the book!

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted August 22 2010 - 07:50 AM

I just re-watched that scene and had no glitches.  I'd recommend trying to clean the disc - it might just be dirt or something like that.   The plot to the film Moonraker is indeed based on the plot to Spy Who Loved Me, which in turn is based on the plot to the film You Only Live Twice.  And all three are directed by Lewis Gilbert.  There's even a shot in Spy Who Loved Me that is pretty much identical to its counterpart in You Only Live Twice.   But Moonraker does have Michael Lonsdale and his wonderful put-downs of Bond.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts

Posted August 22 2010 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for checking your copy of Moonraker Kevin.   I checked my disc for dirt and I found a scratch, 2 scratches, one along the outer edge and one about 2/3 from the center outward. About 1/4 long and is radially concentric with the disc. I could run my fingernail over it and feel it in parts. It came this way as it was the first time I played it and I did notice the scratch last night and I thought it might have been a smudge.   I used some disc cleaner stuff on it and it helped it a tiny bit, but it still froze at about the same area. Shoot!   While this is not my favorite film, I still hate to see a defect in it. Maybe I can write MGM about a replacement. Anyone know who I could write to? Given their current financial status, not sure if I am going to be able to get any help.   Thanks!   The blu ray sure is a beauty, the fine stone carvings on the walls of Drax's launch control center sure look good! And while I could see on the standard def DVD that the stuntman playing Bond falling out of the airplane was wearing goggles, it was even more obvious on the BD!   Kevin, I'll have to look for that shot you refer to in TSWLM being a counterpoint to YOLT. It's funny, I never think too hard on a Bond film, but they are all similar in someways! But then it's not Bond if it's not.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,166 posts

Posted August 22 2010 - 11:50 PM

For those of us waiting for the rest of the movies on Blu-Ray, the Digital Bits reports today that sources tell them that those films are on hold until the next Bond film hits theaters, which is of course dependent on MGM's financial struggles.

http://www.thedigita...com/#mytwocents

Seems like everything is riding on the Spyglass deal.

http://www.hollywood...a30e420029a82d3

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts

Posted August 23 2010 - 04:55 AM

Wow, I just called Fox, I was redirected from the MGM customer service number to call them. The guy I spoke to was very nice and said he'd help me out with the scratched disc and will replace the whole Volume 3 set! Normally, after so much time has passed, they would not do that. I have to send them my set first and after about 5 to 6 weeks, I should get a new set.   Now I'm scared, I hope the new set will be fine!

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 03:01 AM

Well, after 10 weeks, I finally received a replacement set to Volume 3. I really appreciate that Fox did this for me. However, the box is not the same as the one I originally got, it has the 3 separate blu-ray cases instead of the folder book with each disc on a page held in with the foam disc. I know a lot of people didn't like that, but I'm bummed because I have the other sets with that packaging. Now they don't match, plus this new box arrived with a smashed corner and dents and wear and tear on the shrink wrap. I hate to do this, but I'm thinking of looking to buy another set with that packaging. Or I just buy blu-ray cases and put my other Bond discs into those. But then I'd have to find matching artwork for the covers! Of course I am capable of creating my own artwork, but then creating them with all the correct assets and disc info will be a challenge. Of course I also have the fourth set from Best buy that included Licence to Kill, Quantum of Solace and The Man With The Golden Gun which is packaged in individual blu-ray cases. So the collection is already mismatched! I could complain to Fox, but I don't think I'll get what I want and they did go out of the way to help me out. Any insights? Maybe someone or place sells the packaging? Either all in the bd cases with art, or the booklet packaging. Thanks for reading and letting me vent.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,166 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 04:24 AM

There were Zinema style blu-ray artwork covers for the released Bond movies in this thread:

http://www.hometheat...-ray-collection

But they appear to be gone. They were top-notch, and much better than the generic and random boxes in the blu-ray sets.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts

Posted October 29 2010 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Sam. I think I'll ponder some options and I can work on my own design and create a box with art that I can use for the discs I have and for the remaining Bond films when they finally come out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users