What's new

Last Piece to new home theater system (1 Viewer)

cadfael_tex

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony Wilkins
Hi all, first post here. Your expertise and experience would be greatly appreciated.

For our anniversary, my wife and I decided to upgrade our living room home theater.

Here's what we just bought:
Sony Bravia KDL 40v4100 LCD TV
Apple TV
Sony S350 Blue Ray player

What we had that we'd like to keep:
Klipsch Reference RSX 4 RCX4 5.1 speakers with 10 inch sub
WII game system with the component out cables
Samsung HD Cable box with HDMI out

What probably needs to be upgraded
Denon AVR-2802 AV receiver (still works fine but would like to have HDMI switching for the Apple TV, Blue Ray, and Cable)

Was thinking of a new receiver but since getting on here there seems to be other options.

What would you guys recommend to get everything linked together and going through the sound system?

TIA,
Tony

member666

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie
That's one heck of a nice wife that let you upgrade the home theater system. Normally, husbands are begging their wife to do such things. :laugh:

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It would help to know what the budget is for the new receiver.
Just know that you won't get something with enough inputs for all that, real cheap. But if you can spend $1000 you can do pretty well. Maybe even a little less, but not a lot less........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

cadfael_tex

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony Wilkins
That's what makes this all so dangerous. My wife likes the electronic as much or more than I do. She just got a new iPhone this weekend;)

I'm thinking a new HDMI switching receiver might be the simplest answer for us but I'm not sure that I know all the ins and outs. Less expensive would be good but if I wait just a little while I could spend up to about $1,000.

cadfael_tex

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony Wilkins
Another thing for consideration (possibly) is that I'm in a job where we move every 2-3 years so portability is important.

cadfael_tex

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony Wilkins
After doing some research I found a couple (though not exhaustive) list.

Denon 3808
Marantz SR5003

Different price points but the Denon offers more than I need (seemingly) and the Marantz offers pretty good balance for the speakers and input needs I have right now (from what I've figured out).

Plus, the Denon we've had has served us well (and still does with the exception of the lack of HDMI) I have a fondness for Marantz because that's what my step dad had

Still trying to figure this all out though

One thing the Marantz does is allows me to upgrade the speakers at a later time and move these to the bedroom.

Thanks for looking,
Tony

kfalls

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Falls
Don't be reeled in by budget receivers offering HDMI. Make certain the HDMI is 1.3 to allow for the upper level uncompressed audio formats and Deep Color video. If she likes the Denon you have, you may want to stick with them since their remotes are different. I have Yamaha, Denon and Sony receivers and the remotes have their own unique characters.

The Denon to me has better sound for music, the Yamaha is very dynamic for home theater and has no problem driving lower impedance loads (not a problem for your Klipsch'), the Sony has a lot of bells and whistles including 6 HDMI inputs and was a great deal since I work for Sony. Most newer receivers which offer HDMI are v1.3. I've had the Yamaha and Denon for several years (pre HDMI) and the Sony is 1 year old and has been a great receiver (STR-DA5300ES).

I currently have the Sony setup with bi-amped Legacy Focus mains, Legacy Silver Screen center, T&A P-30 rears and Klipsch RS-3 side surrounds.

My Denon is setup with Klipsch KG4 mains, KV3 center, and RS-3 surrounds. I can't really say one system is better than the other (although the Legacys are several times more expensive) just different.

I'm currently in process of setting up the Yamaha in my living room with a Zone 2 in the bathroom and 'B' stereo speakers for a future bedroom.

If you can't find a receiver in your price range with enough HDMI inputs, HDMI switch boxes can be had rather cheaply. Before I had the Sony I used a 4 in 1 out switch I purchased on ebay for $45. Worked great, but the blue power light was very bright.

Good luck.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought my new receiver after a couple months of agonizing over the decision. I previously had a Denon and then a B&K AVR507. I decided on the Onkyo 876. It really came down the the Denon 3808, or the Onkyo. The deciding factors for me were more bells and whistles for less money, newer and slightly better DAC's and better video upconversion and management. I did really like my old Denon, but had to give the Onkyo a try for the money. After a few weeks, I'm very happy with my decision.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Don't want to sound like a broken record but... your Denon 2802 is a good machine and you won't get much for it in resale. Being in the same similar boat as you (i.e. wants HDMI and new HD codecs but don't want to chuck my AVR (Rotel)), I decided to pre-order an Emotiva UMC-1 for $699 (Emotiva Audio UMC-1 Audio-VIdeo Processor). Might be worth checking out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks