What's new

Sony 4100 or 5100? (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I'm looking to make a big upgrade from my WE655 to a newer 4100 or the newest 5100. Just would like to get some input on both models (52" version) and which variant is the best (W, V, or Z). I'm looking to keep it under $2k.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
The 52V5100 includes the 120 Hz Motion Flow. Sony has added the feature to some of their cheaper sets this generation.

I have a 52V5100 installed now. Sony sent me one at a discount due to my "blue blob" issue on my previous LCD projection that showed up two weeks after their extended warranty expired.

I've been very happy with it, although since it took Sony so long to get their crap together, I ended up picking up a Panasonic 58" Plasma in the meantime, and I finally see in person why Plasma's can't be touched, especially in black levels.

With that said, the V5100 is very nice, and casts a nice shadow in our bedroom. I haven't added another HD DTV box yet, so I took my living room one upstairs this past weekend to check out some HD content, and it was one of the best LCD images I've ever seen - surprisingly strong in several areas.

It looks like it's hovering around $2000 delivered or so. I'm curious to see how much it will fall during the year, as I'm wondering if Sony has cut back on production somewhat in the face of the economy. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them around right now, and Sony has been shipping them since mid March, as mine arrived on the 18th, I believe. It only cost me $800 plus tax, so it was definately worth it considering my projection was going to cost upwards of $1200 to replace the defective optical block with another defective optical block.

Just make sure you're technically sound or at least have internet access if you get one of the latest Sonys. The 5100 manual had very little substance in it at all, and there are features on the set you're going to want to read about online.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
There's a lot of posts about it on AVS. It apparently is really bad during very dark scenes.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,

I read your reply about a week ago, but I wanted to test the set a little before I replied. Granted, I haven't worked it extensively, because it is a bedroom TV after all, and the living room is still my main base of operations.

I haven't ever noticed the auto-dim feature, to be honest. I looked for it, even ran some movies that I had read were problems, and didn't see anything.

The news isn't all good I'm afraid. This past week was the first time I viewed the set in absolute darkness. I did notice the "flashlight" effects coming from the top corners - the left a little more prominent that the right. Even the smallest amount of ambient light rendered them invisible, but there are definately there when the room is pitch black.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Thanks for that Dean. I actually decided to jump ship and go with the Samsung 52B750.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
My Brother is about to buy a Sony Bravia 46" KDL-46V4100 for 1599.00 CAN Is this a good TV? I/ve been out of the loop for a few years when buying equipment. By the way is "motion flow" a "gimmick", or the real deal?

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I just purchased the 4100 from Crutchfield and based on this thread watched many dark scene DVD movies such as, Pitch Black, Sunshine, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins and the Dark Knight. I see nothing out of the ordinary and the picture is fabulous. Much better than my 55" Philips HD LCOS that I replaced with the Sony 4100.

The blacks are very dark and I see nothing like an auto-dim feature. I just received an automated firmware update from Sony which is really a nice feature. I don't have to do anything. When Sony makes a firmware update available it is sent over the air which is received by my TV and automatically updates the operating system. That is what I call service.

Maybe auto-dim was a problem that was fixed by Sony's firmware update. All I know is I watched many dark movies and I see no evidence the feature is active on my 4100.

juda

Agent
Real Name
Judy
The 4100 is amazing, can't say too much about the 5100 but it looks really good too

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just beware that the 5100s have a firmware upgrade now which fixes the biggest complaint folks have had about the 4100 and 5100 series, known as 'autodimming'. The 4100s appear to not be fixable with firmware at this time. Some sets have this problem more than others, some people notice it more than others. On my sister's 52v4100 we never noticed it at all, but even if we do we can't fix it.

virp123

Auditioning
Real Name
vir
I would like to go with Sony Bravia KDL-52Z5100. Its available in 3 sizes : 40", 46" and 52".
Specification : Full HD 1080p resolution, Motionflow™ 240Hz refresh rate, BRAVIA Engine™ 3, 10-bit panel and processing, 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, BRAVIA internet video/widgets, 7 HD inputs, ENERGY STAR® 3.0 certified

Though your budget is $2k, this comes in price range of $2k - $3.5k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks