Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rescue Me season 5 starts 4/7/09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 12:34 AM

Rescue Me returns for a 5th season tonight on FX 10 p.m. EDT.

While season 4 was kinda bad, this is a full season (22 episodes), so hopefully they used the break to come up with a few storylines that needed all 22 episodes to tell the tale.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted April 07 2009 - 05:08 AM

All i have to say is that it's about friggin time. Reviews in my local paper were very positive. Can't wait for it to start tonight.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 04:51 AM

Wow!

Is anyone watching this?

I missed it during it's hiatus. I was glad to have it back. So far it's been kind ehh to good.

The best moments are when they are all talking around the table at the Firehouse and Michael J Fox.

It feels like it's time to wrap this show up, maybe one more season.

It's still early in the season so we'll see.
S&S flims seen: 33

Most Recent:
Solaris/****
Blade Runner/***The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly/****

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 10:35 AM

I've been watching, but usually on the weekends, so I don't post much on it, though it's been funny and watchable for the first few episodes so far.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted May 05 2009 - 05:08 AM

This season has already been a huge improvement over the last one.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 04:44 AM

I'm loving this season so far.
Roman Sohor, CTS

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted May 07 2009 - 05:06 PM

It has been better I just wish they had'nt gone the Cancer Route with Garrity, Now I might have to pull this one of my DVR and On to my handheld just like Breaking Bad, Although I can certainly understand Within the context of the Story why they would go there.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 23 2009 - 09:32 AM

I may be alone, but after about S2, I really pretty much dislike Janet.  I find nothing at all redeeming about her character.  While I have problems with most characters, the fact that Tommy just can't write her off and say "fight me" for the kids.. wow.  That chick is insane.  Let's put it this way, in my world view, maybe I'm alone, but I can at least understand Shiela.  I can't understand anything about the writing of Janet that is supposed to endear anyone to her.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted August 23 2009 - 04:49 PM

Who do you like? Maggie (Tatum O'Neil)? Uncle Teddy? (Lenny Clarke)? The show is filled wtih characters I wouldn't choose to hang out with (including Tommy), but that doesn't make them any less interesting IMO. Janet? She's what I'd affectionately call a train wreck, but on the other hand, most of her damage is directed at herself -- like most of the characters. I think she was the cheerleader type in high school, ended up marrying a fireman who cheated on her constantly, and had a son killed by a car pretty much right in front of the house. Sure she's damaged goods, but then again, she's been damaged.

Studios, caption your internet streams.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted August 23 2009 - 06:51 PM

Oh, I think a lot of them are damaged.  But I can feel pretty sympathetic toward most of them.  But the damage on Janet's part is just.. crazy.  Out of all of the characters, her actions are the ones that fall so far into the "sleezy" camp (abducting kids/run away again/pull kids away/abandon-neglect baby/hookup/blame husband for child's death/accussations/blackmail/threaten abduction again) that I just have no sympathy at all for her character.  

Yes, Teddy and even Tommy are douche bags on some level, but at least Tommy gets a storyline that redeems him some as well with his actions w/r/t firefighting. 

Janet's character has not had a single storyline that gives her character any redemption outside of thinking she's a total scumbag.  While Sheila's character is crazy, she at least has the redemption storyline of her going whackball crazy from her husband's death and trying to provide.. so you can at least forgive her.  Without some sort of redeeming storyline, they've pretty much made Janet into that complete fishwife that you can't imagine anyone relating too.  And, no offense to the actress, but she isn't nearly hot enough to put up with all the grief she dishes out as a character ;)

trakt.tv

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Al_S

Al_S

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 08:51 AM

Did they get new writers because this show went down the tubes? 

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 05 2009 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_S 

Did they get new writers because this show went down the tubes? 
I'm not sure what you're asking here.

"Did they get new writers?  Because this show went down the tubes."

Or

"Did they get new writers [as a result of the fact that this show went down the tubes at some point]?"

In other words, do you think the show sucks now and you're asking if new writers are to blame, or do you think the show has gotten better and you want to know if new writers are the reason? 

Regards,

Joe

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts

Posted September 05 2009 - 02:28 AM

I don't know why they got into the idea of closing every season wondering if Tommy is dead/going to die.  To be honest, it gets to the point where its not just cliche, it's pretty boring.

trakt.tv

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 05 2009 - 03:33 AM

As the series has gone on, it seems more and more like a vanity project for Denis Leary.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 03:11 PM

I might agree as he always seems to be banging these model types constantly... I'm about ten shows behind not sure when I might finish I have kinda lost interest in the show, I can pinpoint when it happened.. I think it was when they killed Jerry the Chief off last season, not sure the show recovered from that.

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,183 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 03:44 AM

The show will end after 7 seasons.

Rescue Me to End in 2011 - TV Guide

I thought this past season was an improvement over the last one, but towards the end, it felt like it has run out of ideas. The other guys from the firehouse were seen less as the season progressed, and in the season finale, weren't seen at all until the last 15 minutes.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 08:50 PM

Well since we are coming into the final two seasons, how does everyone want to see it end?  I kind of hope we see Tommy finally meet his match and goes out....but there is a part of me that wants him to live.  I am torn.

My DVD Collection

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted March 08 2010 - 09:51 AM

I think I get what you mean. You're looking at it as pure entertainment and you're just speculating about the best dramatic payoff to the story. That said, I want Tommy to live. He has many issues, and those issuees didn't start on 9/11, but I wouldn't wish death on just about anyone. Certainly not a man who ran into that hunk of burning steel and toxic ash risking his life to save people he didn't even know.

Studios, caption your internet streams.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted March 08 2010 - 08:15 PM

Some how I see it fitting that he does pass.  I don't say this to mean.  But I am torn between how I want the show to end.  I can see them doing the cliche ending of them running off to there next call, or having something dreadful happen and Tommy coming back and haunting one of the crews!  I know if not pulled off right, pretty damn cheesy.  Just curious how others would like to see it end.

My DVD Collection