-

Photo
- - - - -

I Dream of Jeannie: Inconsistencies Discovered, History Gone Wild

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#21 of 66 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,711 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted April 07 2009 - 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
From what I understand about the bellybutton or the 'navel' issue, all kinds of civil groups protested the series when it first came out, during the first season, because of her scantily scad wardrobe and since this was back during the 60's, the FCC had certain guidelines regarding what could and couldn't be shown on television and often fell into conflict with the censors.

One of these being a woman's navel, which was considered to be offensive. This was why Jeannie's navel is covered by her tunic.

It wasn't until the reunion movies were made that Jeannie was finally allowed to reveal her navel.
I didn't know that about the protesting. I just thought it was the network censors. And I also "llook out for her navel" (the phrase is a nice way to say pervert, hahaha!). It appears at times.

Funny, Mary Anne on Gilligan's Island showed hers a lot!! And a nice navel it is, a beautiful "inny". Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#22 of 66 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
ever Notice that Samantha had a look-alike evil sister as well, I smell a rat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMor
Dave, Dave, Dave... Serena wasn't Sam's sister, but her cousin. And she wasn't evil. Unlike Jeannie II, Serena loved her cousin.
Woo wee! You make a mistake like that on a forum like this you get your butt handed to ya!! Hahahahaa!!

Dave's not alone, I thought that was her sis too. And there are a lot of things they borrowed from Bewitched.

Quote:
The problem wasn't with Jeannie or the navel but rather that a single unwed woman was living with a single unwed man. ....

First, they solved the problem withe Jeannie living with Tony Nelson by explaining that they wouldn't be sleeping in the bedroom together, that when Jeannie and Major Nelson had to go to sleep that Jeannie would retire to her "bottle," satisfying not just the network censors but also those decency groups that existed back during the 60's.

Secondly, there was the added problem with a scantily clad woman appearing on a television show. It was during this period of time when feminism and women's liberation staretd to take on a whole new approach and most found the idea of scantily clad women on television to be offensive and exploitive of women everywhere. ...
Interesting comments. I'd be interested in knowing what year the first nude woman appeared on a British show. I mean, Monty Python was doing that in the late 60s early 70s. Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#23 of 66 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,237 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 08 2009 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
Funny, Mary Anne on Gilligan's Island showed hers a lot!! And a nice navel it is, a beautiful "inny". Posted Image

You're right. Other networks didn't have the hang-ups that NBC had re: Barbara's navel. ABC didn't hide the navels on Gidget and CBS didn't hide them on Gilligan's Island.

But NBC really had a problem with Barbara's though. Laugh-In was even going to "debut" her navel on an episode (because it was such a joke around the network and Hollywood) but at the last minute, NBC put the kibosh on it again. Even though Goldie Hawn and Judy Carne and others showed their navels each week wearing 2-piece bikinis with slogans painted all over their bodies.

#24 of 66 Tony S

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 03:49 AM

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a LOT of IDOJ episodes take place in the middle of July. Posted Image

#25 of 66 buttmunker

buttmunker

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 04:00 AM

There was an episode in Season One that always bothered me. I don't think the writers had any idea where they wanted this series to go........

Roger Healey stole the lamp with Jeannie inside it - locked inside it! Roger wanted to be her Master. He opened the bottle, and Jeannie had to serve him.

Long story short, the "rules" change, and Tony Nelson becomes her Master again, for evermore. Roger never, so far as I know, tried that stunt again.
"The power of love will keep you home at night" -Huey Lewis & The News

"I give in to sin because you have to make this life liveable" -Depeche Mode

#26 of 66 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,993 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a LOT of IDOJ episodes take place in the middle of July. Posted Image

Some writer on the staff seemed to want to make "In the middle of July?" a catchphrase for Dr. Bellows! Posted Image

#27 of 66 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMor
You're right. Other networks didn't have the hang-ups that NBC had re: Barbara's navel. ABC didn't hide the navels on Gidget and CBS didn't hide them on Gilligan's Island.

But NBC really had a problem with Barbara's though. Laugh-In was even going to "debut" her navel on an episode (because it was such a joke around the network and Hollywood) but at the last minute, NBC put the kibosh on it again. Even though Goldie Hawn and Judy Carne and others showed their navels each week wearing 2-piece bikinis with slogans painted all over their bodies.
Eden gave off such a strong "vibe" she was dangerous!

And lets not forgot NBC and Star Trek. I believe it was when I was watching a Trek documentary of some sort many years ago that I learned how the networks were about those things. Although they got away with it on occasion on Trek, Mirror Mirror and Cloud Minors are 2 of my favorite examples. I glad they didn't deprive my teen self of those examples. Hee hee! Particularly that slender lovely chick from Cloud Minors. woo hoo!

#28 of 66 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 06:17 AM

Let's talk about Doctor Bellows and his gift for Clairvoyancy. In Season 2, Episode 3, where Major Nelson is being hounded by the IRS agent, Doctor Bellows mentions events that happen in future episodes such as where it snows only on Major Nelson's house and where Major Nelson's car drove down the street by itself (Jeannie was driving it but she was invisible). These episodes happen further along in the season ... maybe Jeannie's powers were starting to impart on Doctor Bellows.

Talk about slipping one past the editors. unless the episodes on DVD were listed in broadcast order instead of by production order.

#29 of 66 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,993 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
I glad they didn't deprive my teen self of those examples. Hee hee! Particularly that slender lovely chick from Cloud Minors. woo hoo!

The lovely Diana Ewing as Droxine. Posted Image And they really went for broke in terms of navel exposure there!

Posted Image

#30 of 66 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,237 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 08 2009 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Let's talk about Doctor Bellows and his gift for Clairvoyancy.
Posted Image Posted Image

Quote:
In season 2, Episode 3, where Major Nelson is being hounded by the IRS agent, Doctor Bellows mentions events that happen in future episodes such as where it snows only on Major Nelson's house and where Major Nelson's car drove down the street by itself (Jeannie was driving it but she was invisible). These episodes happen further along in the season ... maybe Jeannie's powers were starting to impart on Doctor Bellows.

Talk about slipping one past the editors. unless the episodes on DVD were listed in broadcast order instead of by production order.

Mark, that is exactly what happened. The episodes are in broadcast order, but were filmed in a very different order.

But I love the idea of bellows being clairvoyant. Posted Image
My Blu-ray / DVD Collection

#31 of 66 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 08:03 AM

The inconsistencies and continuity problems take up a pretty big section in the article about the show at wikipedia.org.

Also: In most episodes, Eden wears her revealing "Jeannie" costume. Censors allowed her to be depicted living in a house with an unmarried man (it was made plain that she slept in her bottle), but would not permit Eden's navel to be seen. (In one scene midway through a season four episode entitled "The Case of My Vanishing Master, Part 2", Jeannie's waistband slips below her navel.) The makers of the series were also presented with the situation of filming around Eden's real-life pregnancy during the first season, without writing it into the storyline. She wore veils to hide her stomach, and as her pregnancy progressed, they began to use body doubles and filmed Eden only above the waist, though her belly is visible in some profile shots.

#32 of 66 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P
The lovely Diana Ewing as Droxine. Posted Image And they really went for broke in terms of navel exposure there!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 of 66 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 11:54 AM

I don't trust Wikipedia. It's not a valid source for information since anyone can edit that info and enter in whatever they want.

#34 of 66 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 04:34 PM

Quote:
I don't trust Wikipedia. It's not a valid source for information since anyone can edit that info and enter in whatever they want.

Unlike this forum.

#35 of 66 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 09:58 PM

Let's just say that I had attempted to enter in some correct information on an anime show and Wikipedia thought I was defacing the site ... like I said, totally unrealiable.

#36 of 66 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 09 2009 - 11:10 AM

Oh, now that I'm finally into the third season I have discovered a new one.

In Season 3, Episode 8, Who Are You Calling a Jeannie, Jeannie is knocked out by a metal door as Doctor Bellows comes barging through. Now, I'm not familiar with space time mechanics, but Jeannie seems to have clairvoyancy and blinks out of the room whenever someone is about to come through. Not only does her clairvoyancy seem not to be working but that she also develops amnesia.

She's not human and she's not powerless, so how can Jeannie have developed Amnesia?

Also, that earlier in this topic I mentioned how Doctor Bellows seems to develop the ability to see into the future. Not only can he remember events from the future as detailed in Season 2, Episode 3, but that he also seems to remember events that happen in the next season when, in Season 3, Episode 4 it is raining on Major Nelson, which Doctor Bellows remembers in Season 2, Episode 3.

#37 of 66 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted April 09 2009 - 10:38 PM

The one where she's in the safe has a LOT of those moments.

I was thinking all they had to do was drill a hole in that safe in the first place and she could turn to mist and shoot out of there like a sneeze. And I was thinking, Would an explosion hurt her? You'd think she's be oblivious to that.

#38 of 66 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 10 2009 - 12:33 AM

That's another problem. She's a Genie. A man-made safe wouldn't be able to hold her. Just like the vacuum cleaner .... but the writer's aptly decided to not let that happen ...

#39 of 66 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted April 10 2009 - 02:38 AM

I seem to remember one episode where we are inside the Bellow's living room, and it is the same set as the Stephens living room from Bewitched. I distinctly remember recognizing it. Did I dream that? Anyone else know what I am talking about?

#40 of 66 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted April 10 2009 - 04:20 AM

Quote:
That's another problem. She's a Genie. A man-made safe wouldn't be able to hold her. Just like the vacuum cleaner .... but the writer's aptly decided to not let that happen ...
Yeah, the vacuum! Great example. They just went with whatever they could. Gilligan's Island was the same. Nothing sensible about these shows. If they had locked Gilligan up until after the rescue they would have had 4 episodes and then it would be over.

I think they sometimes used the outside of Mj Nelson's place on Gomer Pyle. May be the picket fence that looks familiar.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow