Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Petticoat Junction Season 2: July 7th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 08:52 AM

For those waiting, Petticoat Junctioon gets released on July 7th:

Petticoat Junction DVD news: Announcement for Petticoat Junction - The Official 2nd Season | TVShowsOnDVD.com

#2 of 42 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted April 06 2009 - 10:32 AM

Cool.

We're getting closer to my personal favorite line-up of Linda Kaye Henning, Meredeth MacRae, and Lori Saunders.

But honestly, I'm just glad that we're getting the second season within half a year of the first.

#3 of 42 exliontamer

exliontamer

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 12:24 PM

Great news. The lineup from seasons 1 and 2 is my favorite, plus I find the humor a little more barbed than in later seasons.
"Stay glued to your TV set."

#4 of 42 Jude86

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 02:21 PM

As always, excellent news!! These will be more "brand new" episodes to me. Of course, I'm still behind on my season 1 set....free time is such a premium. Such is life LOL

#5 of 42 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,508 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 06 2009 - 03:09 PM

Woo Hoo!!!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 42 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 01:59 AM

I just received the season 1 set and watched the first three episodes. I'll have to say, I began to think my memory was a bit clouded on this one since I easily recognized everyone right off but Billy Joe and Bobby Joe looked different. After looking it up, sure enough they were replaced for the later color episodes which is what I saw growing up.

Now I have to decide how much I want season 2 or whether to just wait and hope for a season 3.

#7 of 42 cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,722 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 03:46 AM

I will definitely be getting this set when it comes out. Loved Petticoat Junction.

#8 of 42 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 05:18 AM

Great news. I was starting to worry that this was abandoned.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#9 of 42 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,274 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
Great news. I was starting to worry that this was abandoned.

Well it may be eventually S1 and 2 are the only ones that have been remastered according to the bible. So it might be a long wait, if ever , to see anymore. I'm waiting for a sale to pick up S1, honestly I'd rather have more Green Acres, but PJ was ok.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#10 of 42 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
I'm waiting for a sale to pick up S1, honestly I'd rather have more Green Acres, but PJ was ok.

I just recently picked up season 1 from Amazon for $20.99. Most everyone else has it for $28 - $33. Amazon has had quite a few CBS/Paramount season sets on sale recently. I'm not sure when it will end but you might want to consider getting it now.

#11 of 42 LeoA

LeoA

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted April 07 2009 - 07:19 AM

Great news

I was just watching some episodes from the season 1 set last night.

#12 of 42 heathjack

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 03:07 PM

is this set in color? i want the color epsidoes

#13 of 42 Jude86

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 03:38 PM

Seasons 1 and 2 are black and white. the color episodes start with season 3 and the first cast changes with Gunilla Hutton as Bobbie Jo and Lori Saunders as Billie Jo. Those who don't want the first 2 seasons are really missing out on great, well written shows! Yea, I only grew up with the color ones too, but I am enjoying watching these first years because it is like getting brand new shows and seeing the roots of the characters develop! So treat yourself guys and buy these sets! Posted Image

#14 of 42 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,372 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 08 2009 - 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude86
Seasons 1 and 2 are black and white. the color episodes start with season 3 and the first cast changes with Gunilla Hutton as Bobbie Jo and Lori Saunders as Billie Jo. Those who don't want the first 2 seasons are really missing out on great, well written shows! Yea, I only grew up with the color ones too, but I am enjoying watching these first years because it is like getting brand new shows and seeing the roots of the characters develop! So treat yourself guys and buy these sets! Posted Image

Except for a handful that came out on VHS from Columbia House, I hadn't seen these episodes since they aired on Tuesday nights on CBS over 45 years ago, so they are almost like new to me too.

And this is one show that found its niche right away. There are no growing pains with this show. It was solid from the start. The only thing that's different is that the two older girls, played by different actresses than in the color years, are written a bit differently. Billie Jo is strictly a boy-tease and Bobbie Jo is a studious bookworm. Billie Jo generally stayed the same through the one Gunilla Hutton year and then adapted to Meredith MacRae's warmer, more mature, less sexually overt personality in Season 4. Lori Saunders had a flair for zany comedy that the more musically-oriented Pat Woodell lacked and the writers took note by turning her Bobbie Jo from a bookworm to a more Gracie Allen-like daffy dame.

But all the old-timers without exception had their characters nailed from day one and Bea Benederet was so wonderful as Kate and got sick so early into the color years that these black and white episodes are to be treasured.

#15 of 42 Jude86

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 08:09 AM

TVShowsonDVD just e-mailed me the cover art and it looks great! PJ's cover art IMO looks better than the Hillbillies.

#16 of 42 mannix

mannix

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 12:21 PM

I heard and I plan on adding it on

#17 of 42 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted April 10 2009 - 02:34 AM

I have enjoyed the Season 1 box, even after having the MPI set. I had seen most of the episodes, but it is nice to have the whole first season together in one place. I will be purchasing Season 2, and I think that even if the other seasons have not yet been remastered, there is a good set we will eventually see the rest. After season two, we get into the color episodes. The powers that be seem to historically be more inclined to release color product over B&W.
I'll look forward to getting this second season set.

#18 of 42 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,524 posts

Posted April 10 2009 - 03:12 AM

I'm definitely in for this one (and probably any more season sets that are released as well).

Gary "it will be interesting to see if these keep coming, because right now it looks like PJ's sister show, the Hillbillies, is stalled" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#19 of 42 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,508 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 10 2009 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
Gary "it will be interesting to see if these keep coming, because right now it looks like PJ's sister show, the Hillbillies, is stalled" O.
Didn't BH Season 3 just come out in February? Seems rather premature to declare it stalled just yet.

I'm going to try and keep a positive mind about the future of PJ. Sales of season one must have been good enough (even with the partial first season set released several years ago) that they felt it was warranted to go ahead with Season 2 (just because it was already remastered doesn't mean they'd throw more money into manufacturing and distribution if they expected to lose money with low sales). Plus as others have mentioned, the S3 set would be in color and may sell even better than the B/W sets.

Now, if we could just get more Green Acres in the pipeline, the Hooterville Cannonball would be chugging on all cylinders. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#20 of 42 Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted April 12 2009 - 04:33 AM

Keep 'em coming. And I agree about Green Acres.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow