What's new

Anybody see Sleep Dreamer at Sundance? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just watched the trailer for this film. It looks like an interesting foreign language, near-future, SF film. It is supposed to be getting an April release; however, being sub-titled, I doubt that it will make it into any theatre where I live.

Apparently, it played at the Sundance Festival. Was anybody able to see it? I'd like to read any impressions of the film that people may have.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is about a Mexican who lives in a small community that has been devastated by a Corporate owned water dam. The Mexican fellow basically dreams of leaving the area and wants to move North in order to better his life. The American government has succeeded in creating an impenetrable wall on the US-Mexican border. However, the US still needs workers to perform menial work that US Citizens do not want to do. A system is devised where "workers" are implanted with nodes that allow them to interface with a central computer. The central computer allows workers to operate remote-controlled robots which do the actual work. The system allows work to be done without actual workers being allowed into the country.

Due to circumstance, the protagonist leaves his hometown and heads North. He ends up being fitted with nodes so he can work in a sweat shop run by "Sleep Dealers". He also ends up meeting and getting involved with a woman who makes her living by selling her memories to on-line clients.

Basically, the film sounds like it is about how technology is used to exploit workers without actually providing any benefit to the ones using the technology.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes. Originally, this thread was just titled "Sleep Dealer". I thought the title was too vague regarding my reason for starting it. I requested a modification, but obviously there was a bit of a mix up with the title.

I double checked my original e-mail request. For some reason, I wrote "Sleep Dreamer" instead of "Sleep Dealer".

I must have been half asleep when I asked for the change. v:confused:v

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks