Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Touchstone titles wish list.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted April 04 2009 - 06:24 PM

Blu-Ray titles from Touchstone I want:
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion.-Yikes. Non anamorphic bare bones s-dvd from 1999. Time for an upgrade.

The Color of Money. One of Newman's better roles. Great movie. I'd love to see a Blu release.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 01:11 AM

I was going to chime in with "The Rocketeer," but then I realized it was a Walt Disney Pictures release, not Touchstone. COMPLETELY different entities, those two. Posted Image

Seriously though, why single out Touchstone?

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 01:50 AM

I'm not sure if all are Touchstone or Hollywood but here goes:

DICK TRACY
ARMAGEDDON
MR HOLLAND'S OPUS
WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT
TOMBSTONE

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 03:02 AM

Tombstone
Open Range
Ed Wood
Rushmore
Rocketeer
Death before Streaming!

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman

Seriously though, why single out Touchstone?

I was checking out my older S-dvd's and two titles I want most on Blu-Ray are from Touchstone. I'd also like to add Ed Wood.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Skoobooz

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 03:42 AM

May have been Hollywood Pictures, but still Disney: Quiz Show.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 06:04 AM

Who Framed Roger Rabbit came to my mind immediately. The SE's image quality was a bit jarring, you could see that there was animation coming/happening in a shot due to a loss of quality. That shouldn't happen if VistaVision was used for those scenes. I hope that can be improved upon.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 06:32 AM

I would love to see Tombstone - however, I would have to think it needs a brand new master as the SE DVD is a mess to put it nicely.

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 05 2009 - 06:43 AM

And I would agree. I put my Vista Series DVD in the other night to check out the dts track on my new receiver. Oy. Vey. I didn't realise the EE and digital grain was that bad! It looks as bad as the first flipper release of Blade Runner.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   norrisMc

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 10:25 AM

"TOMBSTONE"

"UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN"
Norris

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 05 2009 - 03:33 PM

I watched Ruthless People last night and was appalled at how cheaply the disc was authored. The transfer is nothing to write home about (the film was probably a low-budget production to begin with). There are no extras, and the pictures on the menu screens were literally taken from the old VHS transfer of the movie. This movie needs and deserves a BD.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
I watched Ruthless People last night and was appalled at how cheaply the disc was authored. The transfer is nothing to write home about (the film was probably a low-budget production to begin with). There are no extras, and the pictures on the menu screens were literally taken from the old VHS transfer of the movie. This movie needs and deserves a BD.
And that was the other point of this thread. Most Touchstone s-dvd's are far from acceptable for any home theater enthusiast.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 06 2009 - 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
And that was the other point of this thread. Most Touchstone s-dvd's are far from acceptable for any home theater enthusiast.

Most of these were from the period (around 2002-2005, when Michael Eisner resigned in disgrace) where Disney just picked catalog titles out of a hat, forwent extras, and flipped a coin as to whether to remaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobooz
May have been Hollywood Pictures, but still Disney: Quiz Show.

This has aired on HDNet Movies yet is non-anamorphic on DVD. Go figure. Consider that this is the same imprint that used The Sphinx as its logo yet it was called "Hollywood" Pictures. The Columbia lady is modeled after the statue on top of the Capitol building in Washington, DC, Paramount uses a mountain for its logo, and Universal uses an outer-space global motif. Logic is not one of their stronger suits.

I'm surprised Who Framed Roger Rabbit didn't receive any notice considering its 20th anniversary was last year, and "Enchanted" was released around that time.

I second Ed Wood, Mr. Holland's Opus (also Hollywood Pictures IIRC), and add Noises Off...

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 04:40 AM

Now, are the problems limited to only Touchstone releases, or do they comprehend everything Disney released with that gaudy purple "Widescreen" banner at the top of the cover art?

See for example (the first is Hollywood Pictures, the second Miramax, the third Touchstone):

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Does Touchstone even control their own catalog releases? If (as I suspect) Disney handles all catalog releases, and if the problems are endemic to virtually all catalog titles released by the Disney family of companies during a certain period (1998-2005?), why don't we broaden our scope a bit?

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 04:51 AM

i'm going to chime in here since i realize how much our opinions are regarded in influencing future releases
...love to see ARMAGEDON and ROCKETEER...of course there ARE others....but those are on top for now. Many of those already listed would most certainly be on my list as well. Really would like the see Bette's "stuff" done with a bit more care.

#16 of 34 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted April 06 2009 - 06:06 AM

I want Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, Outrageous Fortune, Dick Tracy, Ed Wood, and did everyone forget about... ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING!

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,390 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
Blu-Ray titles from Touchstone I want:
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion.-Yikes. Non anamorphic bare bones s-dvd from 1999. Time for an upgrade.

The Color of Money. One of Newman's better roles. Great movie. I'd love to see a Blu release.

Romy & Michele is a pretty crummy dvd, even for the early days. I would like to see a BR edition with the deleted scenes of Will Ferrell's character. Some behind-the-scenes footage would be nice, a little commentary by David Mirkin and Lisa Kudrow perhaps? I can dream. This was not the most significant film of all time, but it's pretty much the one "chick flick" comedy that guys actually enjoy.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman

Does Touchstone even control their own catalog releases? If (as I suspect) Disney handles all catalog releases, and if the problems are endemic to virtually all catalog titles released by the Disney family of companies during a certain period (1998-2005?), why don't we broaden our scope a bit?
Alright. Disney titles I have to have on Blu-Ray:
-Tron
-Never Cry Wolf
-The straight Story
-Every Studio Ghibli film

And from Miramax:

-Jackie Brown

housekeeping 2.jpg

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 07:14 PM

Touchstone:
THE WATERBOY
ARMAGEDDON
Walt Disney:
THE ROCKETEER
Dimension:
SCREAM
HALLOWEEN: H20
MIMIC
THE PROPHECY
THE FACULTY
PHANTOMS
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted April 13 2009 - 06:37 AM

Touchstone doesn't function independent. It's all Buena Vista Home Entertainment. Hollywood pictures is kaput... Posted Image
Roman Sohor, CTS

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow