What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Yes Man (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Yes Man

Release Date: April 7, 2009
Studio: Warner Home Video
Packaging/Materials: Single-disc Blu-Ray case with cardstock slipcover
Year: 2008
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 1h44m
MSRP: $35.99

MAIN FEATURESPECIAL FEATURES
Video1080p high definition 2.40:11080p high definition
AudioDolby TrueHD: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: English 5.1, French 5.1 (dubbed in Quebec), Spanish 5.1, Portuguese 5.1Dolby Digital 5.1 and Stereo
SubtitlesEnglish, French, Spanish and Portuguese (movie and select bonus material)

The Feature: 4/5
Recently divorced, Carl Allen (Jim Carrey) channels his growing bitterness and resentment into one word - "no." He says it to everyone, from the guy handing out concert flyers on the corner to his best friend Peter (Bradley Cooper), who's desperately trying to cheer him up. When an acquaintance shows up one day raving about self-help guru Terrence Bundley (Terence Stamp), whose program is all about saying "yes" to everything, it plants a seed in Carl's brain when he finally realizes something needs to change. Though initially resistant, Carl succumbs to Terrence's persuasive powers and begins agreeing to anything that comes his way. Though it makes for some less-than-ideal situations at first, his yeses eventually lead him to the quirky and pretty Allison (Zooey Deschanel), a jogging-photography teacher and lead singer in a band that has more costume changes than songs in its setlist. In other words, a free spirit finally meets her equal, though where her's comes naturally, Carl's comes by way of a program that sometimes makes him do things he doesn't want to. Though the radical remedy has changed his life, "no" will have to eventually make a return. When it does, hopefully it won't involve anything or anyone he actually cares for.

At first sounding like a retread of "Liar Liar", where Carrey's unethical lawyer is compelled to tell the truth after a simple wish from his often-disappointed son, "Yes Man" is more grounded in reality. There's a satisfactory reason for Carl's misanthropy (where "Liar Liar" merely traded on a stereotype of attorneys) and the remedy of saying "yes" to everything, while exaagerated, is really just another way of practicing "carpe diem," something all of us try to do in life at some point. The film's relatable quality no doubt comes from the source material - Danny Wallace's non-fiction book, "Yes Man", which recounts the author's year-long experience of saying "no" to nothing. Though the fictionalized adaptation probably bears little resemblance to the book, whatever major insights Wallace had about life seems to have carried over, in spirit if not in body. What it makes for are some surprisingly inspirational and endearing moments amidst the consistently humorous situations and sight gags. And though the movie's message is certainly nothing new, it's one we can all stand to be reminded of from time to time.

Video Quality: 4/5
The film is accurately framed at 2.40:1 and presented in 1080p with the VC-1 codec. Black levels and contrast are generally very good with only a few instances where things look a little flat or blown out. Colors also show good depth and richness, though flesh tones can be a little inconsistent, even within the same scene. The picture is consistently sharp, however, and fine object detail is very good as evidenced by cloth textures, strands of hair and the tight, checked patterns of brick buildings. Grain structure is also nicely preserved with no obvious signs of noise reduction.

Audio Quality: 3.5/5
The Dolby TrueHD audio track is often very front-heavy, surrounds perking up with soundtrack support and echo effects more for dramatic, rather than atmospheric, effect. While it makes sense on a certain level, it also seems a little uninspired. LFE can be suprisingly robust though - in particular during the self-help seminar - and overall the track shows good dynamic range, with consistently clear and intelligible dialogue.

Special Features: 3.5/5
Though there's nothing in the special features that one would consider "in-depth," tending to focus on Carrey's on-set antics, fans of Deschanel should be quite pleased with the inclusion of Munchausen By Proxy's complete performances.

"Downtime on the Set of 'Yes Man' with Jim Carrey" (3m59s): Carrey's antics and tomfoolery in coping with downtime-induced boredom.

"Jim Carrey: Extreme Yes Man" (11m52s): A look behind the scenes of the various stunts, including the dog attack, body blading, riding the Ducati motorcyle and bungee jumping.

On Set with Danny Wallace (8m32s): Author of "Yes Man" Danny Wallace takes viewers on a tour of the film set, which includes some impromptu interviews with the cast and behind-the-scenes of his brief appearance in the film.

"Future Sounds: Munchausen by Proxy" (5m28s): Faux music channel special on the quirky band.

"Say Yes to Red Bull!" (2m06s): A brief look at Red Bull's affect on Carrey.

Yes Man: Party Central (2m16s): Rhys Darby, in his Ron Weasely costume, gives viewers a tour of his character's apartment.

Munchausen by Proxy Performances (14m33s): The complete performances of the quirky band's songs, including "Uh-Huh", "Yes Man", "Star-Spangled Banner", "Sweet Ballad" and "Keytar".

Additional Scenes (7m31s): Seven deleted scenes, a few of which show Carl's new business after leaving the bank.

Gag Reel (5m35s)

BD-Live: At the time of review, the only features were a streaming trailer and commercial for the Yes Loans! company.

Digital Copy: Download a digital copy for playback on computer or portable video device. Compatible with Mac and Windows.

Recap

The Feature: 4/5
Video Quality: 4/5
Audio Quality: 3.5/5
Special Features: 3.5/5
Overall Score (not an average): 3.5/5

A surprisingly endearing and inspirational comedy gets a good technical presentation and a decent set of extras.

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Thanks for the review.

What's the dialogue like in this movie? Is it fairly witty or is it simply a copy of how today's society communicates?

An example of today's society:

Person A: "Did you see the Cavs/Mavs game today?"
Person B: "Actually it was the Cavs/Spurs"
Person A: "Whatever"

I can't stand the expression/phrase 'whatever' and it is appearing in pretty much every show and movie based on current day which is annoying since it is a sign of incredible human laziness and in movies/shows makes the dialogue of that specific conversation pointless. If I wanted to simply listen to people talk like that I would go to the mall, not watch a movie where I expect a bit more creativity and intelligence.

Does this movie have any "whatevers" that you may remember? If it doesn't really bother someone then they probably won't even notice but to the minority like me you are aware of it every time it is used and it brings on extreme disgust.

If it is 'whatever' free then I will blind buy but if it has even one use of it I'll maybe rent or just skip it outright. That is how much the "whatever" use pisses me off and it is making me more and more look to giving up on today's movies and simply watching older movies or present day movies that are set in previous time frames when this crap wasn't used, Doubt being an example of that. Quantum of Solace is the only movie set in present day that is "whatever" free that I have watched in I'd say at least 2 weeks. Sad...

I thought Body of Lies would be clear of it but nope, in there twice although I think it was done to make fun of those who use it to reply to others. Righteous Kill has it 4 times within 40 minutes and made me think that movie was written by some teenage girl in L.A. Man, that movie's dialogue was junk.

Sorry for my ranting on this and I am sure to many they'll think it is silly...but it really is that annoying to me and trust me, there are others who feel the same way as I do.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I can actually remember one use of a variation of "whatever" in a song lyric sung by the band Munchausen by Proxy, but it is funny in context because all their lyrics are funny. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in the standard form, so I suggest a rental if it's an issue.

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
Jim Carrey is in his elements on this film. Yet I still like him best in his movie Ace Ventura The pet detective

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks