Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2009 MLB Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#41 of 1172 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted April 12 2009 - 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls
Tony,
Check your favorite news site.

I must be slow. I checked and thought "what is he talking about?" My ah-ha moment came a moment later. Those Seals are a formidable club.

#42 of 1172 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 12 2009 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls
And in today's score, it's Seals 3, Pirates 0.
F**IN' ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!

#43 of 1172 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,602 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted April 12 2009 - 11:51 AM

The organization backing the Seals has been fielding World Series champs for centuries now.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#44 of 1172 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,673 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 12 2009 - 12:16 PM

Those Seals are one tough unit.

In a different incarnation, but on-topic, Joe Dimaggio played for the San Francisco Seals before heading to the Yankees.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#45 of 1172 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,602 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted April 12 2009 - 12:44 PM

Seals field was torn down when I was a toddler.The only "Joltin' Joe" left in SF is found at local coffee houses.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#46 of 1172 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,965 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 12 2009 - 03:44 PM

first 2 game win streak for the Phils.
I would have liked for the Nats to win a game before they play the Phils tho'.

facebook.com/whotony

#47 of 1172 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,965 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 13 2009 - 07:35 AM

Posted Image

facebook.com/whotony

#48 of 1172 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,673 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 13 2009 - 07:55 AM

Sad news, Tony. The end of an era.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#49 of 1172 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 13 2009 - 08:47 AM

Indeed. A rough week for baseball.

On The Sports Reporters yesterday, Mitch Albom suggested that a first offense for DUI should result in automatic jail time. Can't say as I disagree.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#50 of 1172 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,963 posts

Posted April 13 2009 - 03:07 PM

Unbelievable. Mark Fidrych has passed away, apparently from an accident involving him working on his truck. Posted Image I hope there are those on this Board who remember him from the mid-1970s. His antics and his eccentricities/idiosyncracies were legendary.

Former Detroit Tigers All-Star pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych dead at 54 - ESPN
ockeghem2.jpg

#51 of 1172 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,673 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 13 2009 - 03:39 PM

Count me as among those who remember his antics well.

So short a career...but such an impact on our generation of baseball fans. What a personality.

Posted Image

#52 of 1172 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,990 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 13 2009 - 04:31 PM

How the hell did the Royals manage to hold onto a talent like Grienke? I've watched this kid pitch several times, and when he is one, he's like watching a young Greg Maddux. It's not fireball and tons of strikeouts, but his pitch sequence is mesmerizing... to go from a fastball to this goofy 54MPH pitch that you wonder how it gets across the plate. It's rare you see a player swing and it seems like forever before the ball crosses the plate.

Fun time at the k today.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#53 of 1172 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 13 2009 - 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
Unbelievable. Mark Fidrych has passed away, apparently from an accident involving him working on his truck. Posted Image I hope there are those on this Board who remember him from the mid-1970s. His antics and his eccentricities/idiosyncracies were legendary.

Former Detroit Tigers All-Star pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych dead at 54 - ESPN

This is very sad news. I have very fond memories of Mark Fidrych, having grown up in SE Michigan during his time here. I'll never forget our family's trip to Florida in the 1977. We stayed with the Tigers at the Holiday Inn in Lakeland, and Mark's motel room was just below ours. I have a picture somewhere of him waving to us as he entered his room. We were driving back to Michigan when we heard on the radio that he had injured his knee shagging balls in the outfield. It was the beginning of the injuries that ended his too brief career.

I still have an autographed baseball from that spring training visit that has many Tigers on it, including Mark Fidrych.

He died way too young. RIP, Bird.

#54 of 1172 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,963 posts

Posted April 14 2009 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
This is very sad news. I have very fond memories of Mark Fidrych, having grown up in SE Michigan during his time here. I'll never forget our family's trip to Florida in the 1977. We stayed with the Tigers at the Holiday Inn in Lakeland, and Mark's motel room was just below ours. I have a picture somewhere of him waving to us as he entered his room. We were driving back to Michigan when we heard on the radio that he had injured his knee shagging balls in the outfield. It was the beginning of the injuries that ended his too brief career.

I still have an autographed baseball from that spring training visit that has many Tigers on it, including Mark Fidrych.

He died way too young. RIP, Bird.
Mike F. and Scott,

Hey, thanks for the pics / memories. I am a BoSox fan since way back when, and Fidrych was a very engaging personality to this 'non-Tiger' fan. He was a lot of fun to watch on the mound. In retrospect, I now wish I had paid more attention than I did when he was pitching.
ockeghem2.jpg

#55 of 1172 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,673 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 14 2009 - 04:10 AM

Here's a pitching memory from last night.

Nick Swisher pitches the bottom of the 8th in last night's Rays/Yankees blowout. Swisher had been in the game at first base before he moved to the mound.

Video is okay, audio sucks but is understandable. Announcers are Michael Kay, David Cone & John Flaherty.

I always enjoy when odd things like this happen.

#56 of 1172 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,365 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 14 2009 - 05:25 AM

They mentioned on ESPN this morning that Swisher was the best pitcher the Stanks had last night. Posted Image (Maybe the Red Sox should've been trying to sign him instead of Texiera!)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#57 of 1172 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,673 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 14 2009 - 05:28 AM

In first place on April 14:

KC, Toronto, Seattle in AL

Florida, San Diego & St. Louis in NL

Anyone wanna change their predictions?!? Posted Image

#58 of 1172 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,138 posts

Posted April 14 2009 - 06:21 AM

And the AL East is truly backwards at this point. Posted Image

But it's only April, and the Orioles always get off to a good start, before coming back to earth (more like buried into the earth).

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - June

Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#59 of 1172 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,673 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 14 2009 - 06:29 AM

Okay...now I'm ticked off.

MLB has just suspended Josh Beckett six games for throwing high & tight to Bobby Abreu in the Sox/Angels series this weekend.

He wasn't even thrown out of the game!

Three different Angels were (including Mike Scoscia).

Put aside the fact that I'm due @ Fenway Saturday (Beckett's next scheduled start)...but that's crazy! He'll probaly appeal (and pitch Saturday)...but if you saw the play the umpire granted Abreu time just as Beckett was beginning his wind-up. I'm not even sure why the Angels were so apoplectic about the incident.

#60 of 1172 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,917 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 14 2009 - 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Okay...now I'm ticked off.

MLB has just suspended Josh Beckett six games for throwing high & tight to Bobby Abreu in the Sox/Angels series this weekend.

He wasn't even thrown out of the game!

Three different Angels were (including Mike Scoscia).

Put aside the fact that I'm due @ Fenway Saturday (Beckett's next scheduled start)...but that's crazy! He'll probaly appeal (and pitch Saturday)...but if you saw the play the umpire granted Abreu time just as Beckett was beginning his wind-up. I'm not even sure why the Angels were so apoplectic about the incident.
Sorry about your tickets, but I'm happy a Red Sox has finally received some punishment.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

Back to After Hours Lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow