What's new

Need recommendation on a powerful, long-range router (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I currently own an Apple router, and it's the first Apple product
that I am not overly happy with. The range it provides it mediocre
and I find that I get constant signal dips/drops.

To be honest, I have owned Linksys and Belkin routers that have
provided better coverage.

I am looking for a POWERFUL router that will provide LONG RANGE
coverage for a "N" and "G" network.

There has got to be an "ultimate" router out there.

There is a product out there called Bountiful Wifi, but upon reading
reviews, it seems that this not worth its exorbitant price.

I don't want to set up repeaters in the house because that gets
rather complicated. Would rather have one router that perhaps I
can upgrade with better antennas to provide reliable, powerful
coverage in my home.

Look forward to your recommendations.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The signal strength and wattage and stuff like that really doesn't alter that dramatically. That said, there are some that are longer ranged than others (can't really name any specific ones) - but, your best bet is really to change out the antenna on the wireless router itself. It's not very pricey and that will make a huge difference.

A higher gain "rubber duckie" style (basically what is on most wireless routers now, a rubber antenna sticking up) will do a lot right there to boost signal omnidirectionally. Basically it's a taller version that goes from 2 dbi to 7 dbi which is a decent gain in signal strength.

The last resort is going directional, if you don't need the signal to be as strong in every direction. Then you can get major gains going off into one specific direction, with a different type of antenna of course. 15 dbi is one number I've seen.

Differences with different antennas is really quite interesting. One side effect of a 7 dbi antenna is that you get further range to the sides of the antenna (if it stands vertically) but the range up and down decreases. A normal "stick type" antenna radiates in a donut type shape - with a 7dbi antenna you "flatten the donut" so it goes further to the sides but not as high or low. So in a multi level home a 7 dbi might not be the optimal choice after all.

Another way to go might just be to get a wifi repeater. Basically get one of those, put it about halfway from your router to the far edge of the property and you'll effectively have doubled your wireless range.

So several options to consider before playing "wireless router roulette". ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks