Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Snow White to hit Blu-ray SEVEN WEEKS before the DVD


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

    Second Unit



  • 272 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 02 2005

Posted April 03 2009 - 01:36 AM

Wow. Disney is really serious about the advance release this time. This beats the two-day advance window they used with "Bolt" and "Bedtime Stories" by a mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter
"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," the first Walt Disney animated classic and the first DVD to sell a million copies in a single day, will make its Blu-ray Disc debut Oct. 6 in a special combo pack ($39.99) that includes a DVD. A two-disc standard DVD release ($29.99) will follow the combo pack by seven weeks, arriving in stores Nov. 24.

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is hoping the early Blu-ray Disc release will drive consumers to the new format. The classic retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale has never before been seen in high-definition.

The combo pack, according to division worldwide president Bob Chapek, will give consumers "another opportunity to maximize their viewing options. With today's technological breakthroughs found in Blu-ray, we are confident that this version of 'Snow White' will easily become the reference point for high-definition home entertainment libraries and family collections all over the world."

"Snow White" hasn't been available in any form since its first, and only, DVD release in 2001. The new release will include several all-new bonus features not included on the original 2001 edition.

Link: 'Snow White' headed to Blu-ray
 

#2 of 64 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

    Producer



  • 4,807 posts
  • Join Date: May 07 2001
  • Real Name:Jason
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 03 2009 - 02:20 AM

What are the chances this is a late April Fool's joke? I can see a couple days, maybe a week...but nearly 2 months?

If Disney is trying to force BD, I guess this is one way to do it. Make sure the standalone DVD version is nowhere to be seen and when it does come out, no one is going to care.

#3 of 64 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

    Second Unit



  • 272 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 02 2005

Posted April 03 2009 - 02:42 AM

I think you can also expect to see some huge discounts on stand-alone players about this time. The hardware manufacturers would be nuts to allow this extended exclusivity window slip past (where DVD owners eager to pick up the disc are "stuck" with a shiny new BD just waiting to be played) without taking advantage of it somehow.

Hopefully this signals that Hollywood intends to blow the doors off Blu-ray this holiday season. Very encouraging news.
 

#4 of 64 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

    Supporting Actor



  • 881 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 02 2006

Posted April 03 2009 - 03:36 AM

I love this move and I hope other studios will follow, especially for highly anticipated catalogs. Disney has been my favorite BD studio for some time now and this just reaffirms that opinion.

#5 of 64 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

    Screenwriter



  • 1,137 posts
  • Join Date: May 15 2008

Posted April 03 2009 - 04:03 AM

A very smart movie, I think. Most kids will see it, and want it immediately. So, parents buy the blu-ray. It's cheaper than buying the dvd first, and later the bd anyway.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#6 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

    Executive Producer



  • 14,892 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 1999
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 03 2009 - 04:49 AM

A very smart move.

#7 of 64 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

    Screenwriter



  • 1,830 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 16 1999

Posted April 03 2009 - 06:38 AM

What is being overlooked here is that there is no waiting for the SD. It's included in the BD release. If DVD owners want to the film badly enough without waiting for the SD-only release, they'll buy the more expensive BD version. This won't cause any real boost to hardware sales.

The caveat here is that SD buyers of this set will artificially inflate the BD sales numbers. That's the smart move by Disney. The kiddies will get to watch the SD version anyway.
I don't like SPAM!

#8 of 64 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

    Screenwriter



  • 1,599 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 24 2000

Posted April 03 2009 - 08:01 AM

Disney is doing a great job of advancing the format
a seven week exclusive window on the format is HUGE

#9 of 64 OFFLINE   Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad

    Supporting Actor



  • 837 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 27 1999
  • Real Name:Doug
  • LocationMid-West, USA

Posted April 03 2009 - 08:28 AM

Seven weeks, seven dwarfs...
The Star Wars Special Editions: Just 'cause you can, don't mean you should.

 


#10 of 64 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

    Supporting Actor



  • 511 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 05 1999
  • Real Name:Brian McHale

Posted April 03 2009 - 08:54 AM

I don’t know that it’s fair to conclude that Disney is trying to jump start Blu-ray sales by waiting seven weeks for the DVD version. If this had never been released on DVD, I might agree. However, a very nice DVD release of this does exist. Pretty much everyone who thought this was a must own already has it. And, even though it’s out of print, it’s not hard to find in case someone doesn't already own it.
Brian

#11 of 64 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

    Producer



  • 3,390 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 12 2005

Posted April 03 2009 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paynter
What is being overlooked here is that there is no waiting for the SD. It's included in the BD release. If DVD owners want to the film badly enough without waiting for the SD-only release, they'll buy the more expensive BD version. This won't cause any real boost to hardware sales.

The caveat here is that SD buyers of this set will artificially inflate the BD sales numbers. That's the smart move by Disney. The kiddies will get to watch the SD version anyway.

This is true; my hope is that dads will have that BR disc in their home and get curious about how much better it will look...if they'd only just...shell out $200 for a good BR player...
 

 


#12 of 64 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

    Producer



  • 6,001 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 2003

Posted April 03 2009 - 10:02 AM

Smart move. Now we're talking. Hopefully a hint of things to come permanently.

#13 of 64 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

    Lead Actor



  • 7,474 posts
  • Join Date: May 16 2001
  • Real Name:Patrick McCart
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 03 2009 - 11:40 AM

This is a terrific and intelligent move from Disney.

There's no reason to even issue another DVD of Snow White outside of just reissuing the 2001 edition.

#14 of 64 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

    Executive Producer



  • 10,620 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 16 1998
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 03 2009 - 01:18 PM

I cannot believe it's been almost 8 years since the last SD-DVD release of Snow White. It seems like I just bought it not that long ago.

#15 of 64 OFFLINE   Allen_Kir

Allen_Kir

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 67 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 02 2005

Posted April 03 2009 - 06:25 PM

I LOVE Disney So Much For Doing This!

Now other studios NEED to Follow AND they should push for 3months or even 6 Months!?!?! (Especially since Disney has the COMBO PACKS)

#16 of 64 OFFLINE   Shad R

Shad R

    Supporting Actor



  • 537 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 08 2001

Posted April 03 2009 - 07:55 PM

Yes, yes, yes, yes! If they did this with new releases, say UP only comes out at Christmas on Blu, and the DVD hits stores in late January, that would be awesome!

#17 of 64 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 24,863 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 11 2009 - 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman
Wow. Disney is really serious about the advance release this time. This beats the two-day advance window they used with "Bolt" and "Bedtime Stories" by a mile.



Link: 'Snow White' headed to Blu-ray
The only problem I have with Disney is the price hike of the MSRP of this release from $35.99 like Pinocchio to $39.99. In short, this title will probably cost us $27.99 which is $3 higher than Pinocchio. Maybe there will be a deal out there that knocks that down a bit.




Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#18 of 64 OFFLINE   frankie108

frankie108

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 82 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 31 2008

Posted April 11 2009 - 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad R
Yes, yes, yes, yes! If they did this with new releases, say UP only comes out at Christmas on Blu, and the DVD hits stores in late January, that would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_Kir
I LOVE Disney So Much For Doing This!

Now other studios NEED to Follow AND they should push for 3months or even 6 Months!?!?! (Especially since Disney has the COMBO PACKS)
What remains to be seen is the effect this schizo selling method has on the 90% of non BD buyers that go to stores like Walmart and expect to buy the less expensive SD DVD disc and are informed by retailers that the only option available for the next 2 months is to buy the more expensive BD disc. I leave it to the reader to decide the more likely outcome; the customer buying a HDTV and/or BD player OR the customer getting irate. I think the latter is more likely.

What about the retailers themselves? When Disney announced earlier release dates for BD discs of "Bolt" and "Bedtime Stories" retailers led by Walmart, not wanting to deal with irate customers, decided on their own to sell the SD DVD discs the same day as the BD version. They're not going to be happy put in this position of attempting to force BD adoption down the throats of the majority of their SD DVD customers. For these reasons, I believe this new sales approach is a very bad idea. The studios should continue to release both BD and SD DVD discs at the same time and let the customer decide which disc they want to buy.

#19 of 64 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul



  • 24,863 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 11 2009 - 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie108
What remains to be seen is the effect this schizo selling method has on the 90% of non BD buyers that go to stores like Walmart and expect to buy the less expensive SD DVD disc and are informed by retailers that the only option available for the next 2 months is to buy the more expensive BD disc. I leave it to the reader to decide the more likely outcome; the customer buying a HDTV and/or BD player OR the customer getting irate. I think the latter is more likely.

What about the retailers themselves? When Disney announced earlier release dates for BD discs of "Bolt" and "Bedtime Stories" retailers led by Walmart, not wanting to deal with irate customers, decided on their own to sell the SD DVD discs the same day as the BD version. They're not going to be happy put in this position of attempting to force BD adoption down the throats of the majority of their SD DVD customers. For these reasons, I believe this new sales approach is a very bad idea. The studios should continue to release both BD and SD DVD discs at the same time and let the customer decide which disc they want to buy.
What makes you think Disney hasn't talked with the major retailers before annoucing this release? Knowing the close relationship between the studios and retailers, I would be surprised if that didn't happen.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#20 of 64 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

    Executive Producer



  • 10,620 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 16 1998
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 12 2009 - 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
The only problem I have with Disney is the price hike of the MSRP of this release from $35.99 like Pinocchio to $39.99. In short, this title will probably cost us $27.99 which is $3 higher than Pinocchio. Maybe there will be a deal out there that knocks that down a bit.

That is an excellent point, Robert. That price point will certainly keep me from upgrading the SD-DVD in my collection.


Back to Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow