Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony releasing Night of the Creeps in October!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted April 03 2009 - 01:09 AM

Michael Felsher, of Red Shirt Pictures has confirmed Sony will be releasing NOTC as a Director's Cut special edition in October. Just a little something to put a smile on our faces in this time of sorrow. Actually, this put a huge smile on MY face when I read it. Yay!

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted April 03 2009 - 05:53 AM

Hopefully the theatrical cut will be included on the release.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 03 2009 - 08:15 AM

Wow. This has been wanted since the beginning of DVD.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 01:50 AM

I'm sure it's a given Tom Atkins will feature on a running commentary. Especially so since Creeps is his personal favourite genre picture.

Nice to hear it will be a director's cut with the superior graveyard ending. I doubt they'll drop the theatrical climax from the disc, it's bound to be included in some form or another.

And I hope some of the (studio or MPAA) curtailed exploding head gore gags will be extended, if the footage has survived...
It's a 'need to know' situation, Paramount need to know we want F13th 2-8's restored and uncensored. No amount of talking head extras will do.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted April 05 2009 - 02:17 AM

This is one of the last Laser Disc's i have, that need a DVD to replace it. I also hope we get both cuts of the movie.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Caleb
Nice to hear it will be a director's cut with the superior graveyard ending. I doubt they'll drop the theatrical climax from the disc, it's bound to be included in some form or another.

It's not even an altered climax -- it's basically the last shot of the movie that's different.

The lame "dog zombie" which the studio insisted Dekker shoot as a cheap scare is going to be in the supplemental section apparently. And we'll get the much more satisfying ending (without the heroine getting infected and the spaceship overhead) from the TV version instead.

As much as I usually campaign for theatrical edits to be included on Director's Cut DVDs, this isn't some later "rethinking" of the movie -- it's how Dekker always had the movie ending, and personally I have no problem with that. Like a lot of fans he hated the dog zombie last shot too, which I always felt was one of the only elements in the movie that didn't work (it was a really cheap way of ending the film IMO). Now with it replaced with the original conclusion, I think the movie has a chance to really be re-evaluated as one of the most entertaining sci-fi/comic horror films of the decade.

Now, there were some other alternate takes in the TV cut, so if they're being restored also, then I suppose the theatrical cut should be included separately. If it's just the ending, personally I can't see how most fans would prefer the zombie dog over Dekker's intended finish.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,021 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 08:32 AM

MGMHD has been playing this movie this month. I have heard many things about the movie, but never seen it. I have it on my dvr.
not sure if its the directors cut or theatre version.. most likey the theatre version.

Jacob

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,534 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat
MGMHD has been playing this movie this month.

Jacob
When did MGMHD show it this month? I haven't seen it.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,021 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 11:46 AM

oh crap.. I was thinking of another movie. my mistake.. sorry about the confusion.

Jacob

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 03:49 PM

MGMHD was showing NIGHT OF THE COMET - lol - very different film.

HDNET MOVIES has shown this movie, but only the theatrical version. Sci-Fi has shown the alternate TV edit with different takes and some additional scenes as well as the alternate ending. I hope this new disc will replace the anamorphic widescreen version I made from the HDNET broadcast and the additional scenes I included as a supplement - lol

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted April 19 2009 - 02:41 PM

Very, very happy about this! Tom Atkins at his best, and one of the most enjoyable 80s horror flicks. I'm betting both endings will be there, but the cemetery ending is better by far. Thrill me!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,842 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 19 2009 - 03:05 PM

So now we have Midnite Movies from SonyPosted Image
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

Forum Nav Content I Follow