-

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading My Surrounds: Opinions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin A

Kevin A

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 06:23 AM

Since my new HT set-up "debuted" in February, I've really enjoyed the overall performance of the system. I've noted, however, some weak points in system that need addressing, in particular the performance of the sub and the sound quality from the surrounds.

I've ordered a new sub (SVSound - Cylinder Subwoofers) to replace the existing one (a new BIC H100), and am now concentrating on upgrading the surrounds.

In the current configuration, I've two old RadioShack Minmus 7s as L&R surrounds....

Posted Image

...and brand new Cambridge Soundwork Newton Series II S205 Surroundsfor the 2 rears....

Posted Image

The RS really sound tinny, weak and underwhelming. The CS Newtons I am pleased with— good sound dispersion and the ability to go bi-pole or di-pole. So I've a couple of options...

a. ditch the whole surround set-up and get 4 matching surrounds
b. ditch the RS speakers,; get Newton IIs side surrounds to match the rears

I've a budget of around $400 for this.

Does it matter if my fronts & centers (JBLs S-Series) are of different manufacture than my surrounds?

It's a pretty good size room (17 x 18 with 9' peaked ceiling) so I want to make sure the surrounds are 'hefty' enough to make an impression. Any advice, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted Image

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted April 02 2009 - 06:41 AM

If the CS Newtons are better, move them to the sides and ditch the RS speakers. You probably won't miss the rear speakers.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   brandonchenry

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 08:24 AM

should order a couple of SVS sb-01's
you can get a 5% discount now that you will be a repeat customer

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin A

Kevin A

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonchenry
should order a couple of SVS sb-01's
you can get a 5% discount now that you will be a repeat customer
I've been exploring the SVS's as a possible solution to not just the surrounds, but perhaps replacing the whole set-up with the SCS & SBS speakers.
5% off the whole schbang = $845 (+s&h) for 7 speakers (2 SCS plus Center & 4 SBS surrounds = approx. $120/per speaker....Hmmmmmm

SBS-01:
Posted Image

SCS-01:
Posted Image

David— I've considered dropping the rears & sticking with the 5.1 surround set-up. I think I'll have to do some a/b testing & see if I really notice a difference. That'll help me decide if it's worth the extra investment. thx!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 06:22 AM

Sounds like you will soon have a premium sub, so it's time to upgrade the rest of the system. I would consider four SVS 01 and a SCS 01 for your center which would give you a well balanced 5.1 system. If you like the sound then you can add two more SVS 01's at a later date.