What's new

Lutron Maestro wiring help (1 Viewer)

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
When I flipped the breaker switch to ON, I heard a "POP", and the the breaker was tripped.

I'm pretty sure I followed the Lutron-provided instructions correctly. I've studied them over and over, and can't see any problem.

The lights are recessed xenon, and I've been assured that they'll work with the Maestro switches. They're 50W each, for a total of 100W... which is more than the stated minimum 60W of the Maestro system.

Each component (switch boxes and light fixtures) is grounded, and I'm sure all the connections are tightly affixed.

Perhaps the breaker switch itself is bad? (It was left by the previous owner of my house, and untested. Looks fine though.)

Would any of you possibly be able to see a problem in my wiring?

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
How To Install a 3-way Switch Option #5 :: Home Improvement Web

Well I wonder the diagram in this link is true. According to this, in a 3-way switch setup, the white (neutral) wire doesn't even go through the switches. It bypasses all switches and connects with the light fixtures only.

Only the black (hot), green (ground) and red (switch) wires route through the switches, with the black and green continuing through to the lights.

I sure hope I didn't blow up my Lutron devices or lights.....

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Basic 3-Way Switch Diagram

Well, on further investigation, it looks like I completely screwed up the wiring. The diagram on the above link confirms it again... the white (neutral) wire has to bypass all the switches and go to the lights directly.

Now I REALLY hope I didn't blow up the switches and/or lights.....

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
After finding the aforementioned links about 3-way switches last night, I went over the Lutron instructions again, and I most definitely misinterpreted them. The neutral white wire is suppose to run directly to the lights, and not through the switches, as I did. I'm hoping this is the problem.

I am going to re-wire everything after work tonight, and see if I can get them working. If the switches and lights survived the bad wiring, I think it should work now that I understand how it should be wired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks