Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-Ray on Mac...?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 31 2009 - 09:45 AM

I own a HDV camcorder and I'd like to be able to burn the video I shoot to BD. I see that there are some BD-R drives for Mac available, and that Toast 10 supports BD. However, are these options worth it? Can they create BDs that will play on, say, a PS3 and be recognized as such (similar to a DVD-R formatted as a video DVD)?

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#2 of 3 Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted March 31 2009 - 11:51 AM

Yes you can do this on the MAC using Roxio Toast only. There is a separate $20 Blu-Ray plugin that has to be bought. But...you can not really view it back on your MAC to test it cause the OS and DVD player do not support Blu-Ray discs. So...if things don't burn properly, you will waste a few discs trying it out.

And I am not sure if the Blu-Ray drive can be internal or not. You might have to get an external drive in a firewire case. Not sure if the OS drivers will support writing to Blu-Ray on the internal bus. Might want to google that one.

You will also have limited options for authoring the disc since you will be limited to whatever options Toast gives you for menus, look and feel, etc...

Until Apple starts putting in HDCP compatible video cards...they will probably not support Blu-Ray on their computers natively.
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston

#3 of 3 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,502 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 31 2009 - 12:45 PM

The new nvidia based mini dv macs support hdcp

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users