Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

monoprice or blue jean

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   eurovw89

eurovw89

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 12:02 PM

I am looking for HDMI cables, and have ready many reviews stating that "name brands" are not the way to go for runs under 10ft. I was wondering out of 'monoprice' and 'blue jean' which had a "better" construction....I know they are inexpensive.....but if something happens dont want to wait to buy another one. Also, how is the web-site -accessories4less- I see they have cables for cheaps up to 70% off.....are the cable refurbished like some of the eletronics? Thanks, Jeff

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 02:22 PM

First of all digital signals are "1"s and "0"s. They either get where they are going or not, so you either get a picture or you don't. The signal does not get weaker as it goes so don't get hung up on buying name brand top $$ cables. I have bought 35' HDMI, component, & subwoofer cables from Blue Jean cables and have totally forgotten about them after installation. No problems with them at all. I have no experience with the other sites you mentioned.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,653 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 02:32 PM

Since finding out about Monoprice many years ago, I have used them quite a bit over the years and recommend them to others. Their cables tend to be well made. I have used several of their HDMI cables in various installations over the years and they are quite robust. So much so that you may need to provide some strain relief for the weight of the cable. We had this problem going into a poorly made wall jack from another company.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 12:36 AM

I have only made 1 purchase from monoprice, so I am an expert Posted Image
I bought 4 6' HDMI cables from them a while ago, the cost including shipping was less than half the price of 1 cable in the store Posted Image
I only needed 2, but figured I might as well get 2 extras just in case (might as well get the most out of the shipping charges). At these prices, why not ?
The cables are in daily use connecting cable TV boxes to TVs, they all work.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,771 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 31 2009 - 01:44 AM

Another site that I've had good luck with on quality, inexpensive cables is Partsexpress.com. You can see a sampling of their HDMI cable prices here. I have not purchased HDMI cables there, but have bought speaker cable and analog interconnects.

Amazon also has very reasonable prices on HDMI cables. I bought one there with my Sony BluRay player.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   oldac3

oldac3

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted July 03 2009 - 04:42 AM

DavidJ-
Did you buy Monoprice's standard or premium stuff?  It looks to me like the price difference is mostly about cable ends. What do you think?

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   douglas-b

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted July 06 2009 - 12:15 AM

Bluejeans cable is really good stuff. I would go with them.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   merv

merv

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted August 09 2009 - 03:40 PM

I have used blue jeans as well, they are great cables at a great price.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted August 10 2009 - 12:22 AM

I've never used monoprice, but I have used Blue Jeans, their cables are first rate.  I'm sure they are higher quality than monoprice, but does the extra quality matter to you?  The monoprice cables are capable.  As far as Accessories4less - yes, they are terriffic.  I've gotten cables there for cheap. 
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,763 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 10 2009 - 10:04 AM

Quote:
Did you buy Monoprice's standard or premium stuff?  It looks to me like the price difference is mostly about cable ends. What do you think?

I always buy the Premium cables from Monoprice. They aren't that much more but the quality of the materials does seem quite a bit better. These optical cables are really cool, especially for $4 a piece. But I usually use coaxial whenever possible.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.