-

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix raising price for Blu-ray access

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 of 91 Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 887 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 06:28 AM

Just Got latest price increase for renting Blue Ray tiles,First they
charged a extra dollar which didn't seem too bad ,but getting new
Blue Rays would always take a long time.Now they made that a extra 3 dollars
a month
this is insane!!

#2 of 91 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 06:30 AM

Just got an email from Netflix, which says they are raising the prices for Blu-ray access again.

They started a $1/month charge for Blu-ray access last year, now they are raising the price for Blu-ray access to $4/month for me (I have a 3 out at a time plan). Price increase supposedly varies based on your plan.

#3 of 91 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,741 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 30 2009 - 06:33 AM

Closing because another thread was already started on this topic:
http://www.hometheat....-ray-fans.html

#4 of 91 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 06:37 AM

Just changed my plan from 3 to 2 a month. Total price for monthly will stay the same for me, but I just get fewer movies. Not happy.

#5 of 91 Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 06:40 AM

I like the way engagetHD put it:
Quote:
In a move that will undoubtedly cause an incredibly raucous stir, only to fade away as movie renters realize that Netflix is still the best deal going, America's most adored by-mail rental service is hiking the price of Blu-ray rentals once again.

#6 of 91 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,142 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 30 2009 - 06:44 AM

It's business. I understand it, and I don't mind the price hike personally. Frankly, it always seemed that the $1 increase was too low for what they were providing.

I also understand those who would be turned off to the increase and will no longer rent Blu-rays.

It is what it is. I also like how engagetHD said it, because Netflix is still an incredible deal.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 91 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 06:59 AM

I guess my deeper frustration is with the price of Blu-ray software in general. One year ago, when I made the plunge and bought my PS3, I didn't envision paying $25-30 for new titles a year later. I certainly didn't pay that much for new HD-DVD titles before the format war ended. And please don't take that as trying to reopen the format war...

#8 of 91 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,576 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted March 30 2009 - 07:12 AM

My local video store and my version of netflix (zip.ca up here in Canada) have not raised the price of a Blu-ray rental over SD DVD one penny (and the same was true of HD DVD as well when it was still around for rental). So I'm happy on that front compared to what's going on with Netflix. I would NOT be very happy if zip.ca started that policy (the carrying cost for BD cannot be significantly greater than for SD DVD, considering there are many BD titles that sell for less than a number of SD titles).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#9 of 91 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 07:41 AM

I just dropped my Blu-ray access.

Totally not worth it for me.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#10 of 91 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,105 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 07:50 AM

hmm, this gives me an OUTSTANDING reason to cut back from 3 out to 2 out, I'd been thinking of doing that anyway, now I almost certainly will. 1$ was reasonable, 4 is not. that's quite the price hike all at once. They should remember the story of how to boil a newt. :-p

#11 of 91 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,726 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 30 2009 - 07:56 AM

The Netflix deals still look pretty good, but I've never had a Netflix membership because I like to pick up new releases on Tuesday when they come out. I pay a little more to rent BDs locally, but I can get them on the way home from work Tuesday mornings and don't get put on a weeks (or in some cases) months-long waiting list.

Quote:
I guess my deeper frustration is with the price of Blu-ray software in general. One year ago, when I made the plunge and bought my PS3, I didn't envision paying $25-30 for new titles a year later. I certainly didn't pay that much for new HD-DVD titles before the format war ended.

You didn't buy too many titles on LD did you, Chris? Posted Image

I do agree the prices are still too high (mainly because I got spoiled on low cost SD-DVD) so I limit my purchases to used titles or Amazon deals. Basically, if a title costs over $15, I don't buy it. The Star Trek BD set will be the only exception to my rule this spring.

I believe companies need to lower the MSRP of BD hardware and software if they wish to seriously compete with entrenched SD-DVD in a badly sagging economy, but that's just my take on things. I'm no economist, just a realist.

#12 of 91 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,142 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 30 2009 - 08:01 AM

The problem is that while the dollar continues to get inflated, that $25 is the equivalent of $15 from 10 years ago.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 91 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton McClure
You didn't buy too many titles on LD did you, Chris? Posted Image

No sir I didn't own an LD player. Posted Image

#14 of 91 ForrestW

ForrestW

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 08:22 AM

I wouldn't mind paying the extra $4 per month PROVIDED Netflix starts getting me new release Blu-ray's more timely. If they continue to take 2-3 months after release date to get me the titles that I want, I may have to stop using Netflix and start buying more movies.

There have been numerous times I have had a Blu-ray title at the top of my queue and haven't received it until it had been out for at least 4 months.

So they better step up the number of copies that they have available because I'm not willing to absorb such a step surcharge if they continue to take months to send me the titles that I want.

#15 of 91 Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 08:35 AM

I think a big problem for BD is that DVD is actually "good enough" for a lot of people, so that might keep demand for BD lower than would justify cost-of-provision. That's a terrible position for an offering to be in. You never want to price based on cost, but rather value, but when value is lower than cost, you have no choice but to charge higher than value.

#16 of 91 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,467 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 08:39 AM

Just noticed this email as well -- I'm a four-a-month subscriber, and it's an increase of $5 a month to keep the Blu-ray. I'm going to keep BD rentals at least initially, and I'll see in a month or two if I'm using it enough to justify it. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal for me.

I still think Netflix is a great value.

#17 of 91 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 08:53 AM

Well Netflix just saved me money. I am so ticked by this increase I not only dropped my Blu-ray access but also lowered my plan a couple notches. Thanks Netflix! I hope you enjoy less of my money! Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#18 of 91 Dan Lassiter

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 10:13 AM

I got my e-mail today as well and I'm not really happy about it. Many of the new releases in my Q are taking 2-4 months to get shipped out to me. If I have anything in my Q that is not blu-ray such as TV series or whatever, those are always nearly the first to ship no matter how far down on my Q they are. And I can't believe how many of the blu-rays that I get from Netflix play with pixle glitches in them, even though the surface looks clean. They need to really improve in order to justify this increase or I'm dropping them and not looking back.
Dan

"I'm a very good man, I'm just a very bad wizard."

#19 of 91 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 10:34 AM

Netflix has no competition to keep the prices low so they got ya by the B****!

#20 of 91 brandonchenry

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 11:58 AM

Interesting. although I have come close more than once, I still have not signed up for NetFlix. I never liked the idea of waiting for my movies. I am an instant gratification kind of guy. If they don't have the movie I want at one rental place, I will go to another.
The blockbuster closest to my house has vanished. My girlfriend picks up SD DVD's at the redbox down the street (even though she knows I am an HD snob!). Therefore NetFlix was finally starting to sound appealing to me. I would only want BluRay from them though. After hearing the wait times some of you experience, I am scared away. If I am paying more, I want more.
BD's are the the thing of the future. I think all discs should be Bluray, and have a SD track on them for those non-converted. That way there would be no time delay based on definition.
How about we start a movie sharing program on HTF?

Forum Nav Content I Follow