-

Photo

National Board of Review Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 10:28 AM

The Awards season officially opens with the results of the voting by the National Board of Review:

BEST FILM
1. Moulin Rouge
2. In the Bedroom
3. Ocean's 11
4. Memento
5. Monster's Ball
6. Black Hawk Down
7. The Man Who Wasn't There
8. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
9. The Pledge
10. Mulholland Drive

BEST FOREIGN FILM
1. Amores Perros
2. Behind the Sun
3. Dark Blue World
4. No Man's Land
5. Amelie

BEST ACTOR: BILLY BOB THORNTON for Monster's Ball, The Man Who Wasn't There & Bandits

BEST ACTRESS: HALLE BERRY for Monster's Ball

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JIM BROADBENT for Iris & Moulin Rouge

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: CATE BLANCHETT for The Man Who Cried, Shipping News & Lord of the Rings

BEST DIRECTOR: TODD FIELD for In The Bedroom

BEST DOCUMENTARY: THE ENDURANCE

BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMER: NAOMI WATTS for Mulholland Drive

BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMER: HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN for Life as a House

CAREER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: JON VOIGHT

BILLY WILDER AWARD, EXCELLENCE IN DIRECTION: STEVEN SPIELBERG

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT IN FILMMAKING: PETER JACKSON for Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

DIRECTORIAL DEBUT: JOHN CAMERON MITCHELL for Hedwig & The Angry Inch

ACTING ENSEMBLE AWARD: LAST ORDERS

WILLIAM K. EVERSON AWARD FOR FILM HISTORY: MARTIN SCORSESE for Il Mio
Viaggo in Italia

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: SHREK

BEST FILM MADE FOR CABLE TV: WIT

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: LORD OF THE RINGS

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 10:58 AM

What, no Pearl Harbor? What about all the raves here recently? Posted Image

On a serious note, this is a very comprehensive list, most especially, in the individual recognitions. Overall, a pretty good list, which, for the most part, I agree on.

Quote:
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: SHREK

Posted Image

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Montoya

Robert Montoya

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 11:02 AM

Interesting selections - wonder how they will match up with the Oscars:

Last year

Best Picture

NBR
QUILLS
AA
Gladiator
Actor
NBR
Javier Bardem
AA
Russell Crowe
Actress
NBR
Julia Roberts
AA
Julia Roberts
Supporting Actor
NBR
Juaquin Phonix
AA
Benico Del Toro
Supporting Actress
NBR
Lupe Ontiveros
AA
Marcia Gay Harden
NBR
Soderberg
AA
Soderberg

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 11:06 AM

For a frame of reference, here's their 2000 Top 10 list:

Best Film
Quills (Fox Searchlight)
Directed by Philip Kaufman

Runners-Up:
#2 - Traffic (USA Films)
Directed by Steven Soderbergh

#3 - Croupier (Shooting Gallery)
Directed by Mike Hodges

#4 - You Can Count On Me (Paramount Classics)
Directed by Kenneth Lonergan

#5 - Billy Elliot (Universal Focus)
Directed by Stephen Daldry

#6 - Before Night Falls (Fine Line)
Directed by Julian Schnabel

#7 - Gladiator (DreamWorks)
Directed by Ridley Scott

#8 - Wonder Boys (Paramount)
Directed by Curtis Hanson

#9 - Sunshine (Paramount Classics)
Directed by István Szabó

#10 - Dancer In The Dark (Fine Line)
Directed by Lars von Trier

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 11:10 AM

It's nice to see that Peter Jackson and one of his films are both getting credit.

Just watch Bad Taste and you'll see where's he has come from.

And on that note, what beautiful dramatic change for him. He also went from doing his own effects (great for B horror) to having lush effects.

I am very happy for him.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 04:00 PM

I have yet to see most of those. Guess I'll be a rentin' fool when they come to dvd...

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 04:50 PM

Here's the complete list:

Best Film
Moulin Rouge (Fox)
Directed by Baz Luhrmann

Runners-Up:
#2 - In The Bedroom (Miramax)
Directed by Todd Field
#3 - Ocean's Eleven (Warner Bros.)
Directed by Steven Soderbergh

#4 - Memento (Newmarket)
Directed by Christopher Nolan

#5 - Monster's Ball (Lions Gate)
Directed by Marc Forster

#6 - Black Hawk Down (Columbia)
Directed by Ridley Scott

#7 - The Man Who Wasn't There (USA Films)
Directed by Joel Coen

#8 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence (DreamWorks)
Directed by Steven Spielberg

#9 - The Pledge (Warner Bros.)
Directed by Sean Penn

#10 - Mulholland Drive (Universal Focus)
Directed by David Lynch

----------------------
Director
Todd Field, In The Bedroom (Miramax)

----------------------
Actor
Billy Bob Thornton, Bandits (MGM), The Man Who Wasn't There (USA Films) and Monster's Ball (Lions Gate)

-----------------------
Actress
Halle Berry, Monster's Ball (Lions Gate)

-----------------------
Supporting Actor
Jim Broadbent, Iris (Miramax) and Moulin Rouge (Fox)

------------------------
Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (New Line), The Man Who Cried (Universal Focus) and The Shipping News (Miramax)

------------------------
Foreign Film
Amores Perros (Lions Gate)
Directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu

Runners-Up:
Behind The Sun (Miramax)
Directed by Walter Salles
Dark Blue World (Sony Pictures Classics)
Directed by Jan Sverák

No Man's Land (MGM)
Directed by Danis Tanovic

Amélie (Miramax)
Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet

----------------------------
Documentary
The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition (Cowboy Pictures)
Directed by George Butler

-----------------------------
Animated Feature
Shrek (DreamWorks)
Directed by Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson

Screenplay
Rob Festinger & Todd Field, In The Bedroom (Miramax)

------------------------------
Special Achievement Award In Filmmaking
Peter Jackson, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (New Line)

-------------------------------
Ensemble Performance
The cast of Last Orders

Breakthrough Performance
Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive (Universal Focus)
Hayden Christensen, Life As A House (New Line)

------------------------------
Billy Wilder Award for Excellence In Direction
Steven Spielberg

Directorial Debut
John Cameron Mitchell, Hedwig And The Angry Inch (Fine Line)

--------------------------------
Special Mention for Excellence In Filmmaking
The Anniversary Party (Fine Line)
Directed by Jennifer Jason Leigh and Alan Cumming
The Deep End (Fox Searchlight)
Directed by Scott McGehee and David Siegel

Diamond Men (DMC Films)
Directed by Daniel M. Cohen

Ghost World (MGM)
Directed by Terry Zwigoff

Happy Accidents (IFC Films)
Directed by Brad Anderson

Iris (Miramax)
Directed by Richard Eyre

Lantana (Lions Gate)
Directed by Ray Lawrence

L.I.E. (Lot 47)
Directed by Michael Cuesta

Piñero (Miramax)
Directed by Leon Ichaso

Sexy Beast (Fox Searchlight)
Directed by Jonathan Glazer

Freedom of Expression
Baran (Miramax)
Directed by Majid Majidi
Jung (War) In The Land Of The Muhjaheddin (Karousel Films)
Directed by Fabrizio Lazzaretti, Alberto Vendemmiati and Giuseppe Petitto

Kandahar (Avatar)
Directed by Mohsen Makhmalbaf

Production Design / Art Direction
The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (New Line)

William K. Everson Award for Film History
Martin Scorsese, Il Mio Viaggio In Italia

Career Achievement
Jon Voight

~Edwin

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 05:03 PM

One question...

AMORES PERROS for best foreign film???

Yes, by AA standards for Best Film it is 2001, but it was an AA nominee for Best Foreign film for it's global release year (and submission year) of 2000.

I understand that they don't have to follow the same rules, but I'm a bit surprised that for foreign films that they don't go with global public release as well.

Other than that they seem to be in the ballpark.

It's hard to place FOTR at this point since it doesn't make their top 10 but does get recognition.

Also I have heard good, but not great, things about Ocean's 11. So it's position surprises me at this point. I guess I will find out on FRI.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted December 06 2001 - 12:52 AM

What surprises me most on this list is the number of early and mid-year films that made their top 10, and the lack of the big films scheduled for release in later December:
Michael Mann's "Ali"
Ron Howards' "A Beautiful Mind"
Frank Darabont's "The Majestic"
Lasse Hallstrom's "The Shipping News"
Robert Altman's "Gosford Park"
As well as "Lord of the Rings" which is getting killer reviews.

It will be interesting to see what the L.A Critics and N.Y Critics pick next week.

By the way, if NBR best director and screenplay winner Todd Field's name seems familiar, he portrayed Nick, the piano player in "Eyes Wide Shut"

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave L

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted December 06 2001 - 05:09 AM

Although half the list has yet to open around here, in general, it points to a mediocre year. The early reviews on "Ocean's 11" haven't made it seem anything special, so its inclusion is a surprise. I think it got a one paragraph review in Time.

While I agree with "Memento," "Mulholland Drive," and "Amores Perros," can't say the same about the others on the list that I've seen ("AI" -- had its moments, but uneven and too many endings, "Moulin Rouge" -- someone said MR was a film for queens of all ages).

The acting awards are all surprises. The recent articles in USAToday & MSNBC about Oscar contenders mentioned few of these performances. Really looking forward to the critics awards now. Could be a year of dark horses.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor

• 515 posts

Posted December 06 2001 - 05:11 AM

In referenct to the foreign film timing, the NBR and most other groups only look at films released in the U.S. during their time frame.

The Oscars is unique in their Foreign Film category. The films are submitted by another country and many times have not played in any general release theater in the U.S.

I think the Academy has changed the rules so I don't think this can still happen, but in the early 70s Day For Night won the best foreign film and the next year was nominated in many regular categories.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 05:31 AM

While it's certainly conventional wisdom that these awards are entirely bogus - including the Oscars - I think it's important to keep in mind how little a film's actual merits figure into the voting. And as we're at the beginning of the silly season, I don't think one could say this often enough.

With that in mind, here's a brief "inside look" at the NBR awards from former NBR members:

Quote:
'It's Meaningless'

One of the main members of the National Board of Review — or rather the "National Board of People Who Aren't Reviewers But Pay a Membership Fee to See Films and Give Them Awards" — is a man I told you about last week, Robert Policastro. Policastro, according to my sources, is one of three people on the board of directors for the NBR who influence the voting. He, Lois Ballon and Carol Rapaport were the NBR leaders who made sure Moulin Rouge got the vote for Best Picture this year.

Unlike other awards groups, the NBR is not comprised of movie reviewers. I am told that Policastro's resume consists of one long run of employment in the restaurant field. To be specific, for many years he was the banquet manager at Tavern on the Green in Manhattan.

Since 1994, the NBR has been having its annual gala awards dinner at Tavern, charging $400 per head to people who want to meet and gawk at stars. According to the current banquet manager, Policastro was working at Tavern when he got involved with the group as a member. Previous to Tavern handling the NBR dinner, the event was smaller in scope — a cocktail party held for a couple of years at the New York Public Library, and then at the Equitable Life Building. According to former NBR member Kevin Lewis, the catering there was provided by a company called In Good Taste. The company is owned by Ballon and Rapaport.

"Anyone who thinks that The Women is a dated play should look at the meetings of the National Board of Review," Lewis told me on Friday. "There it would be a documentary film."

Lewis wrote articles for the now defunct NBR magazine Films in Review from 1980 to 1994. He has his own long resume of credits, although none in food service. He served as curator of exhibitions at the New York Public Library at Lincoln Center in the 1980s, was Special Projects Coordinator at the American Theatre Wing and at the Shubert Archive in 1991.

Lewis claims that he left in 1994 when the current group took power. "I am disgusted with the NBR," he told me. "That year, 1994, Lois told me she actually wanted to give Warren Beatty an award for the movie Love Affair for 'bringing romance back to the movies.' She was convinced he'd come. The awards were all about who they thought would come to the dinner." * * * * *

"Basically the group is run by people with a lot of money and no taste," said Lewis. "When the name of the award was changed from the Griffith [named for legendary director D.W. Griffith], I suggested calling it the Lumiere," he said referring to French brothers Auguste and Louis Lumiere who are credited with inventing cinema in the 1890s. "But Lois had never heard of the Lumiere brothers. I had to give her a Katz's Film encyclopedia." * * * * *

[Another former NBR member] Nicki Goldstein says the voting members of the group represent maybe 20 percent of the eventual decision about who wins what category. She agrees that Ballon et al pick winners based on who they think will come to the annual dinner. "It's ridiculous and meaningless," said Goldstein, who has long been a television producer and is a past president of the New York Television Academy.

"I thought my votes counted," she said. "But the [process] is very political. They liked to spread around the winners and 'honor' everyone. Every studio is covered. That way they build attendance at the dinner."

Goldstein said that Ballon, Rapaport and Policastro run "a mean spirited group. Lois, Carol and Bob have a franchise that fulfills their needs. I'm glad I'm not associated with them anymore."

Policastro was unavailable for comment. Ballon and Rapaport declined to comment.

http://www.foxnews.c...3,40485,00.html

"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 07:28 AM

Ha, ha, ha. Looks nothing more but gripes from disgruntled former members. Got to hear all sides of the argument (situation) before I can give any weight to this piece at all.

~Edwin

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 04:45 PM

I don't agree with Al regarding the Oscars, even though I thought they were way off with Gladiator last year that was a rare occasion. Usually I find them to be in the ballpark and a lot closer than most awards in ANY field. I mean, even at HTF no one agrees totally with Top 10s. That was one of my points last year in getting us to compile them.

Our "totalled" list didn't match any person's list, but it was in the area. Since film is a group audience art, I think such group thoughts are appropriate.

Hold on Al, it's not all bad...Posted Image

On the other hand, I've got a feeling based on other reports and the one above that there is some truth regarding the manner in which the NBR works. After all, Ocean's 11?? I think it's safe to say that no way in hell. Posted Image

Golden Globes are another of the more "dubious" awards.

But I will listen with interest to the NY and LA critics, plus the AFI. And of course the Oscars (well, with special consideration regarding any Miramax or Dreamworks efforts).

You know, where was the Miramax nomination magic back in 94 for Pulp? Posted Image They hadn't figured it out yet I suppose.

For the record, Moulin Rouge is running at the top of my list too, right there with Memento. I respect the hell out of both as films, not just "gimmicks". It saddens me to know that others do see them as gimmicks actually. But oh well.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted December 11 2001 - 04:27 AM

I have also heard some bad things about the National Board of Review.

~T

Forum Nav Content I Follow