What's new

Time Tunnel S1 &2 - Good buy? (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Seeking advice on this one.

BB is running a special until April 14 where you can get Seasons 1 & 2 of Time Tunnel for 20 bucks a pop. Now, I've only seen the show once many moons ago (I think the two guys go back to the fall of Troy or something) and remember liking it. Fiance and I are a fan of the time travel genre with shows like Quantum Leap, Journeyman and the soon-to-be-late Life on Mars and I'm trying to get some opinions on if this show is a worthwhile investment.

Open to comments, fire away.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
It was only on for one season. What you are seeing is volume 1 and 2 of season 1, which is 15 episodes a volume or 30 episodes in all for the entire season.

I picked it up a while back after renting the first episode to check it out. It is a fun "Irwin" style show. I have yet to watch them all but from what I recall in reviews I read before purchasing is the the first half is better.

Amazon also has it for $20 a volume.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Absolutely, do it! You can't go wrong!

It's a fun, imaginative sixties-era show, with some surprisingly good moments -- especially in the WWII Episodes, "The Day the Sky Fell In" and "Kill Two By Two"!

John Williams scored the therme and the pilot episode. Great sets and SFX for its time! Often ingenious matching of stock footage from old FOX feature films to give the episodes a "cinematic" feel. The great stable of "sixties-era professional guest stars" -- including Sci-Fi Feature stalwarts Michael Rennie ("The Day the Earth Stood Still") and Warren Stevens ("Forbidden Planet")!

As with every sixties-era show viewed from a 21st Century perspective, there is the occasional bump -- but, in its context, it still works quite well!

...And a good price to boot? Go for it!

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Does anybody else think the unaired 2002 pilot was good? I can't imagine why they didn't air it. It seems better then most of the junk on the air now and it looks like they spent a bundle on it.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
First off, to the original poster, yeah, I say go for it too. I'm a huge fan of the show, though I recognize its limitations and flaws.
There are a few moments of bringing up time paradoxes and things like that, but for the larger part its an adventure series placing the two heroes into historical events.
As mentioned, the guest cast is top notch for the era. Watch for turns by soon-to-be-big-stars Carroll O'Connor (in a brilliant dual role), Robert Duvall, and Ellen Burstyn (billed as McCrae).
As reminded by "chas speed", not only do you get the full season of shows on the two sets, but included in the second set is a full and excellent TV movie called THE TIME TRAVELERS, a later pilot of Irwin Allen's, with input from none other than Rod Serling. Add to that the full and complete 2002 pilot to a propsed reboot of THE TIME TUNNEL, that's also included.
chas speed said:
Does anybody else think the unaired 2002 pilot was good? I can't imagine why they didn't air it. It seems better then most of the junk on the air now and it looks like they spent a bundle on it.
I liked that pilot too. The word I heard is that the powers that be felt the show resembled STARGATE too much, so they passed on it.
Harry

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Sounds like I have another classic TV Series to check out!
htf_imgcache_39853.gif

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The Time Tunnel itself is worth the price. Such a colorful imaginative set piece. The updated pilot turned it into a corroded dull-looking pipe, which is partly why I didn't care for it. I think Fox did a superb job with the set. They included a lot of behind the scenes footage (including a screen test for the tunnel itself!), a few interviews, the TV film and the new pilot. I first thought the Irwin Allen film (one of the extras) was going to be a dull, routine tv film, but Rod Serling's writing elevated it to a nice surprise. If you are interested in time travel films and series as you said in your original post, this is a must. As a fan of the series, I was not disappointed in Fox's releases.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this show before. Is it any good? I'm thinking of picking it up as my local Best Buy has the sets for sale.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
For a long discussion on the series, starting way back in 2004, long before DVDs were even rumored, check out this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...where-you.html
And if you want to view any of the series before buying, US members with broadband connections can see every episode at Hulu - The Time Tunnel
View the first episode, "Rendezvous With Yesterday" to get the premise of the series.
Harry

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was a huge Time Tunnel fan when it originally aired, but I have to be honest and say that I think the show has more appeal as an item of nostalgia for original fans than it would for viewers who haven't seen it before.

I think if you were new to the show today, all the cheesiness of the production would be magnified to the nth degree. And if you've been used to shows like Stargate or the new Battlestar Galactica, it's just not going to hold up, visual-wise. Also, keep in mind that James Darren was a teen pop star when cast for this to help bring in some girl fans to the sci-fi boy base. He's no actor, and it shows. Robert Colbert is much better, and it's a hoot to see some of the guest stars of the day, but just don't tune in cold thinking you're going to see something that stands the test of time.

Most of Irwin Allen's shows (Land of the Giants, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space) were written for an audience of boys around 10-12 years old who partially ruled their family's television sets during the era. So if you were 10 back in the sixties - perfect. And if you're a nostalgic baby boomer and want to take your own time tunnel back to being 10 again, that works, too.

But just be prepared if you weren't there the first time: the ride could get very cheesy. It makes Star Trek look like Chekhov (the author, not the ... oh, you get the pun).

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Hollywoodaholic said:
, it's just not going to hold up, visual-wise.
You are, of course, correct… but be let’s be completely fair about it.
I love all sixties sci-fi series (Full disclosure: I was 9-13 for most of it.), and I also love LOST and HEROES.
The fact is that you cannot compare the two types of show – so don’t try! Just sit back and enjoy both types – and consider what Time Tunnel must have looked like to an audience whose “baseline” was Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver!
It looked amazing back then, as the contemporary series do now in comparison.
To Matt, Pete, and Mark… check it out, and I think you’ll enjoy it.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for the advice and the link to the older thread.

I've decided that I'll be picking up TT Vol. 1 and 2 on Wednesday as a group Easter present for the fiance and myself. Also getting her an 80s show she liked as a present for her own (Punky Brewster, if you must know) so we get both the classic and the current.

Actually, I think except for Twilight Zone, Tunnel will be the first show for the 60s that I own, come to think of it.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Go for it, Matt!!!!
And as for buying more 1960s TV series, may Time Tunner NOT be your final purcahse!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I added this fine series within weeks of each other back in 2007--the first-half also coming in a Best Buy $19.99 box-set special at the time. Once I checked it out...I NEVER LOOKED BACK!!!!!!!
The colors pop right out at you and the audio, mere era-specific TV monorual, is servicable.
IMHO, just mentally losing and immersing yourself in the sci-fi vagaries of the time--pun intended ;) --makes the journey that much more richer!!!!!

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I think if you were new to the show today, all the cheesiness of the production would be magnified to the nth degree. And if you've been used to shows like Stargate or the new Battlestar Galactica, it's just not going to hold up, visual-wise. Also, keep in mind that James Darren was a teen pop star when cast for this to help bring in some girl fans to the sci-fi boy base. He's no actor, and it shows. Robert Colbert is much better, and it's a hoot to see some of the guest stars of the day, but just don't tune in cold thinking you're going to see something that stands the test of time.
I would think that for modern audiences, the bigger issue would be not so much the sets and special effects but the characters themselves. The two time travellers in particular are always seen reacting directly with some thinly drawn characters from historical periods and the predicaments they find themselves in at the moment. Some guest stars though were able to add an additional dimension to their characters and Harry mentioned the excellent performance given by Caroll O' Connor. But as with most Irwin Allen series, here in TT interactions between the main characters on a deeper level and their feelings of hopelessness, separation from friends and family, etc. is rarely touched upon. A notable exception is the fan favorite "The Day the Sky Fell In", which in a loose way is to TT what "City on the Edge of Forever" is to ST. Overall, the show is what it is and I enjoy it from the prespective of the "running and jumping" series that it was established as.

I'm about through with going the series a second time, myself. Next up--"Raiders from Outer Space".

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
in retrospect,
I'm so glad that there was only one Science Fiction
(never mind Adventure or Fantasy), show in the 1960's:
'Star Trek'.
because, you know, like what if they had been allowed to create
more than one T.V. show back in those times,(instead of one
show that all others are meant to be compared with or that
this show or that one should have been 'THAT' show....'Star Trek'!)
'Time Tunnel'(or any other fantastic programming),
can't be enjoyable, or be allowed to stand on it's
own merits without COMPARISON, of course)!;)
reminds me of that "Twilight Zone' episode with the snout-
nosed doctors & nurses and the message about...."CONFORMITY".
'Star Trek' was NEVER cheesy, had bad special effects or a single
poorly written episode, ever!
poor 'Time Tunnel'.........................(at least I love you)!
:star:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
DVD S. said:
'Star Trek' was NEVER cheesy, had bad special effects or a singlepoorly written episode, ever!
This tongue in cheek observation speaks to a fundamental truth that's been obscured for too many years IMO, namely that if one ever objectively looked at Trek episode by episode one would find just as high a ratio of clunkers to gems as for any other show of the day. "Patterns Of Force" with it's Nazi-planet episode is a concept straight out of the S3 LIS handbook as far as I'm concerned but because they expect us to take it seriously it makes the episode all the more insulting to the intelligence than even "Spock's Brain" is.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Jack P said:
This tongue in cheek observation speaks to a fundamental truth that's been obscured for too many years IMO, namely that if one ever objectively looked at Trek episode by episode one would find just as high a ratio of clunkers to gems as for any other show of the day.
People seem to forget that while Star Trek was airing it was not hugely popular,
as one might think, nor was it that much in the public consciousness at the time,
any more than The Time Tunnel was. It was never in the top 25 shows in the
Neilsen ratings. It seems to have gained its reputation over time, from its base
of fans and then the movie revival ten years later.

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
yes, MartinP. ,I know that fact very well(about
"Star Trek"'s original un-receptive fan-base),
but they did get a third season produced(due to
rabid letter writing).
it wasn't until about 1976 when this and other
Science Fiction movies and TV shows started getting
verrrry popular(to the point of Comic Conventions,
and the extremes of "Logan's Run" fanatics, running around
in L.R. red & pastel colored garb).
this is also when Starlog magazine began it's run
and if I'm not mistaken the first(or was it the second)
issue, had "Star Trek" on the cover.
but, I do believe that all 1960's Science Fiction & Fantasy
shows started to receive much more popularity and desire
for re-surfacing(after the "topical-relevance All In The Family"
era had been in play for some time)and due in no small part
to Gary Gerani's book "Fantastic Television".

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
...instead, we are treated to someone making comments
befitting of a 10 year old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks