Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

2001 A Space Odyssey and the 2:12:33 mark

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 10:13 AM

Forgive my eye for detail, but I thought this was interesting and realize no one really cares. But nonetheless, here it goes:

As I was watching the DVD today I noticed that at the 2:12:33 mark (a close up of Dave's helmet) you can see a reflection of what appears to be a crew's image standing then moving out of sight very briefly. What's the point? I don't know. I just noticed it.

Reference: 2001: A Space Odyssey CDA Limited Edition Box Set.

(oops, this prolly needs to be in software)

#2 of 6 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,552 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 12:31 PM

I just happen to be watching this disc right now after having seen it played on it's limited theatrical run here in San Francisco.

I looked to the time index and I can't see the crew memnber. Unless you mean the reflection on the right side of his helmet, from our POV. But that looked like a reflection of the room's furniture if you ask me.

It was very cool to see it on the big screen after seeing it on video all these years. There is a lot of detail one misses on a small screen.

Nelson

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 12:42 PM

Yes it was on the far right and I apologize for not putting that on there.

In that reflection, if you look closely and several times, it appears to be someone moving out of the shot.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   RobR

RobR

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted December 05 2001 - 07:47 PM

Brad,

I checked out the scene you mentioned. Yes, I do see what appears to be a relection of a person. It can't be a piece of furniture since you could actually see the image move on the helmet. Very interesting.

Most likely, it was an error. The same thing happened in Eyes Wide Shut.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted December 06 2001 - 07:56 AM

Maybe it's just Kubrick's "director's cameo"? After all, he put his daughter in a cameo.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#6 of 6 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,552 posts

Posted December 06 2001 - 08:22 AM

The reason I thought it was a reflection of the furniture is that Bowman's head was moving a bit, so the reflection looked like it was affected by his head motion and not a person moving that was reflected. But I can't say for sure. I did look at it several times. I need to see it again. Kubrick was so meticulous, I find it hard to believe he'd make that mistake, but it's happened before.

Nelson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users