What's new

2001 A Space Odyssey and the 2:12:33 mark (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Forgive my eye for detail, but I thought this was interesting and realize no one really cares. But nonetheless, here it goes:

As I was watching the DVD today I noticed that at the 2:12:33 mark (a close up of Dave's helmet) you can see a reflection of what appears to be a crew's image standing then moving out of sight very briefly. What's the point? I don't know. I just noticed it.

Reference: 2001: A Space Odyssey CDA Limited Edition Box Set.

(oops, this prolly needs to be in software)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just happen to be watching this disc right now after having seen it played on it's limited theatrical run here in San Francisco.

I looked to the time index and I can't see the crew memnber. Unless you mean the reflection on the right side of his helmet, from our POV. But that looked like a reflection of the room's furniture if you ask me.

It was very cool to see it on the big screen after seeing it on video all these years. There is a lot of detail one misses on a small screen.

Nelson

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Yes it was on the far right and I apologize for not putting that on there.

In that reflection, if you look closely and several times, it appears to be someone moving out of the shot.

RobR

Second Unit
Brad,

I checked out the scene you mentioned. Yes, I do see what appears to be a relection of a person. It can't be a piece of furniture since you could actually see the image move on the helmet. Very interesting.

Most likely, it was an error. The same thing happened in Eyes Wide Shut.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The reason I thought it was a reflection of the furniture is that Bowman's head was moving a bit, so the reflection looked like it was affected by his head motion and not a person moving that was reflected. But I can't say for sure. I did look at it several times. I need to see it again. Kubrick was so meticulous, I find it hard to believe he'd make that mistake, but it's happened before.

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks