• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 of 39 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 26 2013 - 04:56 PM

This has remained my favorite movie version of a Broadway musical. The Blu-ray does nothing to diminish that feeling. I always liked the look of the filters in the theatre. Until the Blu-ray, previous video versions were never well suited to the filters. As to the stars, Mitzi Gaynor is just perfect. I like Rossano Brazzi but wonder if someone else would have been better. Not sure who from that period. The other stars (Juanita Hall, John Kerr, France Nuyen, and Ray Walston) are all very well cast. This is a magical and beautiful film.

#22 of 39 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 02:55 AM

In the Blu-ray, I came to rather like the color filters, when I absolutely hated them in the VHS and DVD releases. I guess that speaks to the quality of the format. As for the previous comments about inserting the roadshow footage, it should be an option to watch it with or without the (lower quality, faded) extra scenes inserted -- even though the sudden change in quality can be jarring. It should never be done again the way it was done on The Sand Pebbles, where the entire roadshow version is seen in "Super Magenta." My eyes hurt after about an hour, so I've never looked at it again, even though it would have been interesting to see how the film plays with the extra scenes. Finally, a question for Fox: What about Oklahoma!, The King and I, Carousel and State Fair?

#23 of 39 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 27 2013 - 04:29 AM

I saw the rediscovered original roadshow 70mm print of South Pacific at the Egyptian in LA a few years ago, mostly magenta. It was shown back-to-back after the standard version in a beautifully restored 70mm print. [One interesting feature was that the restored was shown with interlock DTS sound while the longer version was shown 6-track magnetic. An interesting comparision. I found the DTS somewhat clearer but the magnetic warmer, just a personal statement.] Both of the versions of South Pacific are roadshow versions. The cutting was done while the movie was still in roadshow release. It is also true that there is not a lot of substance missing in the cut version, in particular no complete numbers. A few of the cuts improve continuity, but for the most part it is material that could be removed without damaging the film (IMHO). Nevertheless, it would be nice if the longer version could be more properly restored and released in Blu-ray. Here is an article about the Photokem restorations done in 2005-2006. http://www.in70mm.co...cific/index.htm It appears to be the case that more color can now be recovered from that print than we are seeing in the home video version by scanning the print directly. David Strohmaier might provide more details about this possibility. I agree that it is made by splicing together the standard version with the missing pieces from the original roadshow version.

#24 of 39 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted January 29 2013 - 01:14 PM

I have to agree with Rsmithjnr ... this is a magical movie. I grew up with the old incomparable recordings by Ezio Pinza, Mary Martin and Juanita Hall etc, and although none of those voices survive on film (though I'm sure they could have used Juanita Hall's voice if they wished), the casting, particularly of Mitzi Gaynor, France Nuyen and John Kerr, is exemplary. Yes, it's clunky at times but there are many times when you just have to surrender to its power. I play it whenever my wife is away .. she can't stand it, nor can she abide another favourite, 'Carousel' -- but fortunately she does love 'Oklahoma!' and I'm constantly amazed that that movie has not made it to Blu ray.... these studio executives really do need to be carefully taught. Anthony, in Woodend, Victoria, Australia

#25 of 39 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted January 30 2013 - 10:56 AM

Thank goodness for the wonderful Blu-Ray version of "SOUTH PACIFIC". Fox did an outstanding job when you consider the likely condition of the majority of 35mm prints still remaining in existence. This is the current condition of an Australian 50s original 35mm CinemaScope 4 track Magnetic Stereo print. You will notice that this magnetic scope print also has a narrow optical mono track. The addition of the optical track was not common on 4 track magnetic prints and when available it was often used as a backup in case of a fault in the Cinema's mag sound system. Because of the narrower than normal optical soundtrack, the optical sound quality did suffer. Notice the damaged sprocket holes. Fox mag prints used smaller sprockets, so it looks like this print has been run through a projector using the larger standard size sprockets. Hence the damage. (click on image for larger view) Again, thank goodness for the brilliant blu-ray disc from Fox. Now bring on Blu-Ray versions of the other Rodgers & Hammerstein Musicals including a fully restored 70mm "Oklahoma!"

#26 of 39 OFFLINE   jeffsultanof

jeffsultanof

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 08:07 AM

I remember seeing a beautiful 70MM print run during the seventies in New York, and I distinctly remember some images from that film. The Blu-ray more than did justice to the movie, and the scenes with color filters look a lot better from the 70MM source vs. the 35MM source used for television. I would also like to know about the other R&H musicals. Wasn't Oklahoma restored? Are the 55MM elements of King and I and Carousel usable? The DVDs of these looked decent, although I remember reading that the 55MM negative of King and I was damaged when the film was reissued in 70MM in the early sixties. Is my memory correct here?

#27 of 39 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 385 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted January 31 2013 - 09:24 AM

I have to agree with Rsmithjnr ... this is a magical movie. I grew up with the old incomparable recordings by Ezio Pinza, Mary Martin and Juanita Hall etc, and although none of those voices survive on film (though I'm sure they could have used Juanita Hall's voice if they wished), the casting, particularly of Mitzi Gaynor, France Nuyen and John Kerr, is exemplary. Yes, it's clunky at times but there are many times when you just have to surrender to its power. I play it whenever my wife is away .. she can't stand it, nor can she abide another favourite, 'Carousel' -- but fortunately she does love 'Oklahoma!' and I'm constantly amazed that that movie has not made it to Blu ray.... these studio executives really do need to be carefully taught. Anthony, in Woodend, Victoria, Australia

I think all rights for the films still belong to the R&H Co.
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#28 of 39 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 385 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted January 31 2013 - 09:27 AM

Mitzi Gaynor will bring her one women show to Delaware next week. I plan on taking my Blu-Ray for her to sign!
  • bjwmovies likes this
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#29 of 39 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 385 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted January 31 2013 - 09:33 AM

I remember seeing a beautiful 70MM print run during the seventies in New York, and I distinctly remember some images from that film. The Blu-ray more than did justice to the movie, and the scenes with color filters look a lot better from the 70MM source vs. the 35MM source used for television. I would also like to know about the other R&H musicals. Wasn't Oklahoma restored? Are the 55MM elements of King and I and Carousel usable? The DVDs of these looked decent, although I remember reading that the 55MM negative of King and I was damaged when the film was reissued in 70MM in the early sixties. Is my memory correct here?

I ran a print of Carousel in the 1960's for a monthly senoir citizen free show and the whole print was PINK.

#30 of 39 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:31 AM

I ran a print of Carousel in the 1960's for a monthly senoir citizen free show and the whole print was PINK.

We ran a print of Carousel (4-track magnetic) in about 1962 and it was CYAN. One of the few faded prints that I have seen that were cyan, almost always they are pink. Other than that, the print was totally flawless, not a scratch on it. Just like it was carefully stored away in a vault to decay gracefully. Does anyone know what the reason for this is?

#31 of 39 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:57 AM

Doug's actual photos and Everett's recollections are vivid testament to the ability to coax decent transfers from such compromised sources ... here's hoping that the Todd-AO version of ''Oklahoma!' gets the same wonderful treatment that was given to 'South Pacific'! Anthony

#32 of 39 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted February 24 2013 - 09:53 AM

Just watched the South Pacific blu ray and although the picture was great the lip sync drifted all over the place. I tried a manual sync adjustment on my receiver and it still seemed some parts were in sync and then it would drift again. After a search I read others have had this problem. Has anyone in this esteemed forum had this issue? Just curious if it's a defective disc.

#33 of 39 OFFLINE   bjwmovies

bjwmovies

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 04:57 AM

had not noticed any lip sync issues period, only how well the cast is lip synced to other's voices or in Mitzi's case her own voice...one of my favorite musical films of all time, the blu ray is my own dream come true and to this day praise FOX for releasing this blu ray in 2009, making this a very early blu-ray release of a true classic, thank you FOX for putting this one on the top of your list 2009 and not making us wait! (any word on other R&H titles such as Oklahoma or King And I?)

#34 of 39 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted March 27 2013 - 07:51 AM

I watched this for the first time a month or two ago. The movie's good, but I didn't find it particularly great or involving. Some catchy songs. But the transfer is a stunner. Absolutely gorgeous. I agree about the filters. I guess they were trying to achieve a heightened emotonal state, but the piss yellow is just ugly.

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#35 of 39 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 385 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted April 04 2013 - 10:20 AM

Doug's actual photos and Everett's recollections are vivid testament to the ability to coax decent transfers from such compromised sources ... here's hoping that the Todd-AO version of ''Oklahoma!' gets the same wonderful treatment that was given to 'South Pacific'! Anthony

Oklahoma! is on vUDU in HDX & looks great!!!

• AnthonyClarke likes this

#36 of 39 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 10:00 PM

If it's on vUDU (whatever that is -- it's unknown here in Australia!) then maybe Blu ray will not be far behind!

Thanks for the pointer.

#37 of 39 OFFLINE   RetroGuy

RetroGuy

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 11:17 AM

Just watched the South Pacific blu ray and although the picture was great the lip sync drifted all over the place. I tried a manual sync adjustment on my receiver and it still seemed some parts were in sync and then it would drift again. After a search I read others have had this problem. Has anyone in this esteemed forum had this issue? Just curious if it's a defective disc.

I have terrible sync issues during the "Wonderful Guy" number.  It starts out okay then starts going out of sync until the sound is about one word behind what she is mouthing.

#38 of 39 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 01:53 PM

I watched South Pacific this morning and had no sync issues. I paid attention especially during Wonderful Guy and it was fine. I was also impressed by the excellent lip syncing by the actors during Nothing Like A Dame. All those guys did a great job, it matched perfectly. I am using a PS3, DTS-HD Master Audio through a Sony receiver, and an Optoma projector.

#39 of 39 OFFLINE   bjwmovies

bjwmovies

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 05:04 AM

agreed bryan, i am not sure why some are seeing synch issues with SP?  plus i finally saw the beautiful (also originally TODD-AO) Hello Dolly released by FOX on blu ray last month!  i am sure people may see what may appear to be synch issues there with Streisand, but i have always seen her to move her mouth around during a lyric, phrase, note...further evidence can be seen in any of her live performances. the disc is glorious, another AWESOME job by FOX

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users