Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

GOLDFINGER looks G-r-e-a-t on Blu-ray!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,417 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 03:35 PM

Haven't seen any "official" reviews of this yet, so I just wanted to throw in a short personal opinion. GOLDFINGER has never made me happy on either laser disc or DVD. The colors just didn't work - undersaturated, with odd flesh tones that were subject to shifting. Like DR. NO and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, this Blu-ray is a keeper. Damn, I can't imagine it looked this good when I saw it in 1964. The color is simply revelatory, and of course the gold is especially precious (sorry, couldn't resist). Sharp as a tack. Mono sound wonderfully restored. Well worth the $25.00 I spent at Target to get it (although they'll probably run a $19.99 sale on it soon, as they did with the first batch of Bond Blu-rays) - one of my favorite Bond films. Hesitate for not one instant!!!

#2 of 16 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,597 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 04:42 PM

No, $14.99 Posted Image

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 09:24 AM

Fry's has them for $16.95
Al Kuenster

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 27 2009 - 09:45 AM

Fry's B&M only correct -- not available online?

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 11:03 AM

The main thing is that Goldfinger looks great - I agree totally! Posted Image

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,824 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 27 2009 - 01:41 PM

I watched Goldfinger this evening... and agree that it looks terrific. This is one of my favorite Bond films, so I am quite pleased this one turned out well.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,194 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 27 2009 - 04:43 PM

I also watched it early this evening. I was most impressed with the transfer, and I'm hoping this is the LAST time I will buy this, my favorite Bond film.

#8 of 16 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,597 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 02:45 AM

Very much looking forward to getting this.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,659 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 06:15 AM

I watched this last night too. What a wonderful looking disc! Many things I never noticed before or things that were there in the last SD-DVD, but not as clear. For example, at the golfcourse shop, I never noticed in the background, behind Connery's head as he's first introduced to Goldfinger, there is a wall poster for Slazenger and it clearly says 1964. That was really cool, and early product placement! I never paid attention to it before. The texture was so clear in Goldfinger's yellow sweater he wore at the golf course as well. The fine weave of Connery's suits and his toupee all were so clear! I also could not help but focus on the textures in the stone walls and wood details at Auric's Stud farm. And the colors, forgot to mention that. They look wonderful as well. Not over saturated, but appear dialed right in. The gold on Shirley Eaton and the other materials are rendered so well! Brightness and shadow look great, not overly dark or bright. The fine lines on the faces of Honor Blackman and Shirley Eatan also stood out a lot more then before. I am amazed at how sharp and clear an older can be when taken good care of for DVD blu ray transfers. With this disc out, the first 3 Bond films can be enjoyed at their best! The Loewry group outdid themselves. I can't wait to see what they do for the Star Trek films. (Though I hear they didn't have the same kinds of resources for those as they did for the Bonds.)

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 28 2009 - 06:23 AM

Watched my copy at a friend's house last night on his 50" plasma...what a great transfer! The Connery portion of the Bond catalog has never looked or sounded better, frankly. I can't wait to see what Lowry does with the blu-rays for "You Only Live Twice" and "Diamonds Are Forever"! "Never Say Never Again" also hasn't looked this good to me since I saw it theatrically back in 1983!Posted Image

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,659 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 07:05 AM

Agreed Luke! I look forward to seeing Never Say Never Again too. I'm curious about YOLT and DAF as well. I'm also really looking forward to Goldeneye.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 28 2009 - 07:49 AM

The Brosnan Bond movie I'm looking forward to in the series is "Tomorrow Never Dies" with Michelle Yeoh! Talk about EYE CANDY!Posted Image

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,238 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 03:49 PM

Great news about the Goldfinger transfer. I'm really looking forward to picking that one up soon!

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted March 29 2009 - 05:58 PM

Lowry does it again!! Seriously, this company understands digital film restoration. What improvements you saw with the remastered DVD's, it multiplied with this BD release. Stellar in every sense of the word! There is so much fine detail that is seen with this title, from Bond's terry cloth bathing outfit, to the detailing on Goldfinger's vest to P. Galore's cordouroy jeans, it's all there in this film. While it can't look perfect (some segments were of lesser quality) it does look amazing for a film well over 45! Simply put, there's no way you can be disappointed in the video quality of this film. Audio-wise, I actually was suprised. The beauty of John Barry's great score is unleashed with this mix. I can't say anything bad about how the score is presented. This remix does bring out the action in the mix, though it can't be thought of on a contemporary scale. The dialogue is top quality throughout. If you like what they did with DR NO, THUNDERBALL and FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, then you'll love what they've done with GOLDFINGER. It will be interesting to see how they do with the other 2 Connery era films. Personally, I can't wait to see what they do with ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE as it's one of their most beautifully shot films.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,615 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted March 29 2009 - 06:28 PM

Absolutely gorgeous. I've watched it twice already! Posted Image

Only four more Bond Blu-rays for me: the 2 Connerys, OHMSS and GoldenEye. The SD UE's will do for me on the remaining films.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   William Ward

William Ward

Supporting Actor

• 705 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 09:44 AM

I saw the Target 14.99 ad and now I have to pick this one up tomorrow with the Matrix 10th and The Princess Bride. Argh, when I got into BLU I was only planning on upgradeing certain titles and the Bonds other than CR weren't in the picture. Ah well, the best laid plans of men and all..... Judging by how well they have done on the restorations, looks like Dr No, From Russia with Love, Thunderball, and Goldeneye will be seeing their way into my collection.
William

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users