Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Virginian

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 of 208 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,337 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted August 16 2014 - 11:54 AM

Okay, what the hell happened between Season 7 and Season 8 (the final season)? Season 7 looked fantastic, HD quality, bright, consistent color. Season 8 looks like shit. No color correction. Muddy night scenes. Some yellowish. Some pinkish. Contrast too high in the day scenes. What the hell happened? Did Timeless drop the ball or the budget on this one? The story "The Long Ride Home" and acting were fine, as usual, but the look was a complete and inconsistent mess. And the music. Cheesy 5th dimension electric piano muzak and even some electric guitar in some sequences. Like they were trying to hip it up, but it sounds completely inappropriate to the setting and action.

Wow, I'm just disappointed that after Season 7, this is a huge quality PQ dropoff. I usually trade the sets back in after watching (and because they are running on Inspiration Channel), but held on to 7 it looked so fantastic. And then this. I just couldn't believe how crummy the earlier scenes in episode one looked. Very distracting to otherwise good origin story for Tim Matheson (the man who never ages and has been around forever).

#202 of 208 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,327 posts

Posted August 16 2014 - 11:59 AM

I don't have any independent knowledge about it, but that would have been the one season that was fully produced and distributed after Timeless was bought by Shout Factory. (The seventh season was released after the takeover, but must have already been somewhere in the process before Shout came into the picture.) Maybe Shout was willing to release the eighth season to complete the run, but wanted to cut some corners to reduce their costs? Just my guess. I have the DVDs but have not watched the reruns on cable. Are the television prints better than the DVDs?

#203 of 208 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,337 posts

Posted August 16 2014 - 12:24 PM

The television prints I've seen on Inspiration Channel from Season 7 are generally consistent with the great quality of the PQ for that season. And, to be honest, I actually think my upscaled DVD looks brighter and better then the aired versions. But I haven't seen any of Season 8 on the channel yet, so will be curious what that looks like. Honestly, I couldn't believe they would release it like this after how great all the other seasons looked (but with some audio dropouts throughout). So your news on the owner changeover might explain it.

#204 of 208 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted August 16 2014 - 12:26 PM

I've been slowly working my way through S8 too. I have noticed that the image quality doesn't seem as good, esp. in nighttime scenes, but I haven't done any direct comparisons. 

I missed somehow that Timeless was bought out. Sorry to be so out of the loop, but has this changed their business model in a major way? Do they no longer care about or do old tv shows as much? Thanks in advance.

#205 of 208 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,582 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 03:29 AM

I've been slowly working my way through S8 too. I have noticed that the image quality doesn't seem as good, esp. in nighttime scenes, but I haven't done any direct comparisons. 

I missed somehow that Timeless was bought out. Sorry to be so out of the loop, but has this changed their business model in a major way? Do they no longer care about or do old tv shows as much? Thanks in advance.

Ben, there is another thread in this section called The End of B&W DVD.  There is a discussion on the Shout takeover of Timeless.  Look on the last couple of pages.

• benbess likes this
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#206 of 208 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,476 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 07:12 AM

Timeless just like Shout only released what Universal provided them. They have no budget for re-mastering the shows themselves. I'm only on Season 6 but it was my understanding from what had been posted in other threads previously was that Universal re-mastered Seasons 1-8 for Encore channel and other TV broadcasts but did not re-master Season 9 with the title change "Men From Shiloh" What Timeless got was this same package which is why Season 9 or Men from Shiloh does not look very good. So are we really talking about Season 8 looking bad or Season 9. The review on this website and on Amazon did not indicate Season 8 was of lesser quality only Season 9.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#207 of 208 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,337 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 09:22 AM

I'm talking about Season 8, called "The Final Season" of The Virginian, not Men From Shiloh. It looks NOTHING like, or as good as, Seasons 1-7.

#208 of 208 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,476 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 11:13 AM

hmm. disappointing and curious as to why. Maybe this season isn't shown on TV either just like season 9. Makes you wonder if the reviewers actually watch what they review or just do a quick scan through.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users