-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Virginian

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 of 208 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 08:58 AM

Has anyone heard anything about this series being released? I'm just being a bit curious about it since Bonanza and Virginian have yet to be even partially released to DVD as season sets.

#2 of 208 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 11:29 PM

I have no hard knowledge about "The Virginian" being released on DVD and so this is just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was eventually released by Timeless Media for several reasons. First, and foremost, "The Virginian" was a Revue/Universal series and Timeless has licensing arrangements with NBC Universal for a number of the studio's vintage series. Second, Timeless has one of the largest catalogs of vintage TV Westerns released on DVD and "The Virginian" would certainly be a good "fit" for them and, more importantly, their customer base. Third, Timeless has released two shows that were produced for a 90 minute time slot, both "Wagon Train" (last year's color season release) and the crime drama "Arrest and Trial," so they are certainly open to releasing longer form television shows. Beyond that, it would be a matter of how "The Virginian" is released, i.e., would full seasons be released or would a compilation of episodes be released. I suspect the answer to that would depend on whether Universal has any "off the shelf" tape masters of the show (like "Laredo" -- a spinoff of "The Virginian," and "Wagon Train"), or whether Timeless would have to go the route of assembling 16 millimeter syndication prints (like "The Deputy" or "Riverboat," among others). I do feel fairly comfortable in saying that if "The Virginian" does ever get a DVD release, it'll come from an independent through license by Universal; I don't see Uni releasing this on their own.

With respect to "Bonanza," season 1 has been transferred to HD according to the CBS Paramount Syndication Bible. While not proof positive, when that happens, a DVD release often occurs and we very well may see an official release of "Bonanza" before year's end. In the meantime, there is an official (non public domain) "best of" compilation that was issued a number of years ago and is still available.

http://www.amazon.co....8068082&sr=1-3

#3 of 208 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 07:35 AM

I just refuse to buy any "best of" or "compilation" DVD releases. If I wanted those, I'd just download them from somewhere. I just want to be able to buy the full season sets ...

#4 of 208 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,256 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted March 26 2009 - 08:21 AM

Is this show playing on any cable network now? I remember it was on the Hallmark Channel a couple of years ago and I wish I had recorded my favorite episodes (Trampas takes off to hang with his outlaw buddies with tragic consequences).

I just discovered AmLife, which is playing Mission Impossible, Run for Your Life, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel and tons of other 60s' shows. And RTN has many (Hulk, Rockford, Magnum, etc.). Encore is playing Maverick. But where is this playing now?

#5 of 208 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 08:54 AM

Nope.

#6 of 208 Statskeeper

Statskeeper

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
Is this show playing on any cable network now? I remember it was on the Hallmark Channel a couple of years ago and I wish I had recorded my favorite episodes (Trampas takes off to hang with his outlaw buddies with tragic consequences).

I just discovered AmLife, which is playing Mission Impossible, Run for Your Life, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel and tons of other 60s' shows. And RTN has many (Hulk, Rockford, Magnum, etc.). Encore is playing Maverick. But where is this playing now?

Actually it's playing on Retro TV Network on Sundays, followed by "Laredo". RTN is mainly a digital subchannel station (a lot of NBC affiliates took it when Weather Plus went off the air), so you may have to pull out the rabbit ears and a digital converter box.

#7 of 208 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,256 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statskeeper
Actually it's playing on Retro TV Network on Sundays, followed by "Laredo". RTN is mainly a digital subchannel station (a lot of NBC affiliates took it when Weather Plus went off the air), so you may have to pull out the rabbit ears and a digital converter box.

Rats. My local RTN doesn't carry it. We've got Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and Rawhide on Sunday, but no Virginian.

http://www.wftv.com/...11/15856860.pdf

Thanks for the info, anyway.

#8 of 208 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,881 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 01:33 AM

It's surprising this title (like Bonanza and The High Chaparral) isn't out yet: all three shows were entirely filmed in color, and were ratings powerhouses for NBC in the 1960s and still have devoted followings today. Why the holdup?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#9 of 208 Statskeeper

Statskeeper

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
Rats. My local RTN doesn't carry it. We've got Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and Rawhide on Sunday, but no Virginian.

http://www.wftv.com/...11/15856860.pdf

Thanks for the info, anyway.

That's been the big problem with RTN - they allow the stations to pick the shows (to some extent) and there's no one main feed. That list is totally different from what WJAR Providence has for RTN. They aren't carrying The Monkees, Get Smart or Hogan's Heroes (which I would love!)

TV Listings | turnto10.com

#10 of 208 Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 10:26 AM

This is certainly an encouraging rumor:
http://www.tvshowson...an-Rumors/12630
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some decent Universal Studios-owned prints. 

#11 of 208 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 12:56 PM

Anyone want to bet it's TIMELESS that's going to release this :) 

#12 of 208 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 03:34 PM

Timeless would be my guess.

#13 of 208 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,230 posts

Posted September 05 2009 - 12:43 AM

No idea, but I'm buying it!!!!! 

#14 of 208 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,256 posts

Posted September 05 2009 - 05:31 AM

Count me in. A sentimental and ... timeless favorite. And that's going to be one fat box set if they manage to release all seasons of the 90-minute show.

#15 of 208 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted September 05 2009 - 08:49 AM

I just learned this show ran for nine seasons and 249 episodes.

The mind boggles at how big just a season set would be.  A dozen discs at least.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#16 of 208 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,230 posts

Posted September 06 2009 - 01:48 AM

Season boxsets shouldn't be a problem, if the price is reasonable.

#17 of 208 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,594 posts

Posted September 06 2009 - 03:02 AM

I can't wait to get this show.  I'm a sucker for classic westerns.  I'm really enjoying Laramie, and Gunsmoke.  I just checked IMDB, and someone in the forums stated special features are already being shot for the Virginian.  Apparently it is going to be a Timeless Media release.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#18 of 208 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted September 06 2009 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H View Post

...Apparently it is going to be a Timeless Media release....

No surprise there :) 

#19 of 208 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,881 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 10:05 AM

Pity that Doug McClure didn't live to see this, but at least we may get James Drury to provide something for extras.  Also: Roberta Shore, Sara Lane and Don Quine.  As it was in color from the beginning, the sales may do better with younger buyers who are put off by B/W (don't ask me why!).  I only hope that the shows are from good prints or remastered, complete, and will be in reasonably priced season sets.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#20 of 208 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,073 posts

Posted October 15 2009 - 06:36 PM

They are being remastered, both for Encore and for DVD release. Imagine that, Universal actually remastering something. Of course it's probably Encore footing the bill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow