Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"The Three Stooges" from the Farrelly bros.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 08:00 AM

MGM gets its 'Stooges' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

MGM gets its 'Stooges'
Penn, Carrey, Del Toro part of studio's plan
By MICHAEL FLEMING

MGM and the Farrelly brothers are closing in on their cast for "The Three Stooges."
Studio has set Sean Penn to play Larry, and negotiations are underway with Jim Carrey to play Curly, with the actor already making plans to gain 40 pounds to approximate the physical dimensions of Jerome "Curly" Howard.

The studio is zeroing in on Benicio Del Toro to play Moe.

The film is not a biopic, but rather a comedy built around the antics of the three characters that Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Howard played in the Columbia Pictures shorts.

The quest by the Peter and Bobby Farrelly to harness the project spans more than a decade and three studios. They first tried at Columbia, again at Warner Bros., and finally at MGM, where Worldwide Motion Picture Group chairman Mary Parent championed the cause and bought the WB-owned scripts and made a deal with Stooges rights holders C3.

Production will begin in early fall for a release sometime in 2010. The Farrellys, who wrote the script, are producing with their Conundrum partner Bradley Thomas, and Charlie Wessler.

C3 Entertainment principals Earl and Robert Benjamin will be executive producers.

Project will get underway after Penn completes the Asger Leth-directed Universal/Imagine Entertainment drama "Cartel." He hasn't done a comedy since the 1989 laffer "We're No Angels."

The Farrellys have long had their eyes on Del Toro to play Moe. Del Toro, who's coming off "Che," showed comic chops in the Guy Ritchie-directed "Snatch."

The surprise is the emergence of Carrey to play Curly. Howard established the character as a seminal physical comedian, from the first time he appeared in the first Stooges short in 1934 until he suffered a stroke on the set in 1946.
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 08:43 AM

Yeah, I don't believe a single word of any of that.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 09:15 AM

Worst. Casting. Ever.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,869 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 25 2009 - 09:32 AM

I suspect this story was supposed to be posted next Wednesday, April 1.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit

• 377 posts
  • LocationStar Lake, NY

Posted March 25 2009 - 09:40 AM

Sounds like a winner to me. Posted Image

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood
Worst. Casting. Ever.

agreed. but i will take them over Will "Over compensating" Farrell any day.......
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 11:02 AM

There's a previous thread already running on this:

http://www.hometheat....rely-bros.html

Regardless, it still stinks. You can remake characters (IE: Batman, Tarzan, James Bond, etc), but you can't remake people. That's why movies of the Honeymooners and the Little Rascals were such pieces of BS. Jackie Gleason was why you liked the Honeymooners, not Ralph Kramden.

The Three Stooges were people & included Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Shemp Howard & Curly Howard. Their mannerisms, their faces, their voices & their unique chemistry are what defined these characters.

Someone else aping those mannerisms and voices is better suited to a 5 minute skit on SNL or In Living Color, which is where Carry should do this schtick.

The Farrelly brothers might as well just make a movie about Jim Carry doing an impression of Sean Penn and vice versa. It would be the same thing as this silly movie will be.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,190 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 25 2009 - 11:44 AM

I think Penn and Del Toro are excellent actors and I like Carrey in the dramatic roles that I've seen him do. All three have succesfully played lead roles in biopics before. I would think that this movie would focus on the lives of the Stooges (rather than concentrating on recreating their shorts) so it's not like they have become the onscreen Three Stooges for 2 hours to be succesful in the roles.

All that being said, I don't believe one word about any of them being in the movie. Posted Image

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 03:05 PM

Del Toro showed his comic chops in "Snatch"? Where? His character in that film was peripheral at the most. He hardly had enough screen time to develop a character, let alone show "comic chops".

This thing sounds like a waste of time and film. Sean Penn as Larry? Good Grief! It has to be an early April fools joke.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 03:11 PM

What did they pick these names out of a hat???
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit

• 422 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted March 26 2009 - 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I think Penn and Del Toro are excellent actors and I like Carrey in the dramatic roles that I've seen him do. All three have succesfully played lead roles in biopics before. I would think that this movie would focus on the lives of the Stooges (rather than concentrating on recreating their shorts) so it's not like they have become the onscreen Three Stooges for 2 hours to be succesful in the roles.

All that being said, I don't believe one word about any of them being in the movie. Posted Image

From the article, "The film is not a biopic, but rather a comedy built around the antics of the three characters that Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Howard played in the Columbia Pictures shorts. "
Everybody relax, I'm here. -Jack Burton

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,190 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 26 2009 - 05:59 AM

I know what the article says but I can't see them making a movie where they get Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro as the leads (assuming that's true) and they spend more time recreating Three Stooges shorts rather than focusing on their lives and is a somewhat more dramatic movie.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,035 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted March 26 2009 - 06:06 AM

This would be a pretty interesting movie if it were a Biopic. But as a remake, Ill pass.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 08:25 AM

This ill-conceived project may very well be taking off. But...

The L.A. Times suggests an objective angle on the story.

Excerpt from the L. A. Times...
Quote:
The immediate reaction in Hollywood was, well, a big yawn. MGM keeps making big splashy announcements about upcoming projects, but it's hard to find anyone in town who believes that the studio has the money to make a credible number of movies. Most insiders suspect that this was yet another carefully crafted announcement story aimed at persuading Wall Street that MGM could somehow put together a slate of films with real movie stars.

The betting is that MGM is using Variety to tout the viability of the project, in the hopes that a studio with real money -- like 20th Century Fox, which already handles MGM's home video and international theatrical business and has a long relationship with the Farrellys -- will step in to provide most of the financing. As hokey as it seems, in Hollywood perception is reality, so these announcement stories help create the illusion that MGM is making movies, which could in turn attract more stars and more potential projects.

An unrelated coincidence (?)... the story broke in Variety, in a news item written by Michael Fleming. Fleming work-for-hire authored "The Three Stooges: From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons" book for C3 back in 1999.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted March 27 2009 - 09:41 AM

I'm also on the WTF! bandwagon in regards to the casting but I must say i'm almost thankful that Judd "can't do anything but crude frat humor" Apatow isn't doing it.

I have a friend who's OBSESSED with the Stooges and she would storm the studio with shotguns and grenades if she found out he was doing it.

Hell she still might lol.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 09:49 AM

The only good thing coming out of this project is the Three Stooges shorts coming out on DVD in proper order.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,973 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
I have a friend who's OBSESSED with the Stooges and she would storm the studio with shotguns and grenades if she found out he was doing it.

Hell she still might lol.

You have a female friend who likes the Stooges? Posted Image

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted March 27 2009 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell
You have a female friend who likes the Stooges? Posted Image

Yep, we're supposed to go to a Stooges convention in a couple of months. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 28 2009 - 06:27 AM

I'll eat an entire bowl of peas if this ever happens.
that LA times articles seems more like the truth then an actual film being made.

I was in a store yesterday and the guy in the dvd section calls
me over and says, "trivia quesion."
"where were the 3 stooges born?"
"Philly?"
so he starts telling me where the were orn and about a new movie
getting made with all the info that we see in this topic.
I tried to convince him it was an early april fool joke but he was
having none of it.
facebook.com/whotony

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 06:30 AM

From Business Insider...
Quote:
MGM Hunting For A Way To Stave Off Studio Debt Crisis
Hilary Lewis |May. 14, 2009, 4:21 PM|

For the past few months, all we've heard out of MGM was development news related to its FAME movie, THE THREE STOOGES and THE MATARESE CIRCLE. It seemed like the Lion was getting ready to roar back as an independent producer next year.

But that might not be soon enough for the studio's debt holders. Although MGM generates roughly $1 billion in annual revenue, its free cash flow is only believed to be $500 million a year, which isn't enough to repay its $3.5 billion in debt, due next April.

So, the studio's owners (a Sony-led private equity consortium including Providence Equity Partners, TPG and Comcast) have formed a creditors committee and hired investment bank Houlihan Lokey to explore restructuring options. MGM's been pursuing the same for months through its own financial advisor, Moelis & Co.

For years, the studio's been generating revenue from its extensive library, but as DVD sales have dwindled that source of income has been running low. The studio also has a number of high-profile movies in the works, but they keep getting pushed back and, with the exception of this fall's FAME, won't be released until next year.

In fact, The Hollywood Reporter suggests the situation may be so dire that the studio might not survive to put out those titles:

Cash-flow concerns have sparked talk of auditors' potentially issuing a "going concern" warning by the end of June. Process insiders said those working on restructuring options are on high alert that business as usual is over for the Century City-based studio. But concocting a palatable solution for MGM -- whose operations have swelled in recent years to an estimated $150 million in corporate overhead -- may or may not prove doable, even for the smartest of consultants.

However, THR adds, "a well-placed source stressed that the issuance of a going-concern warning is a theoretical possibility but is considered unlikely. Short-term debt payments are relatively nominal, and MGM's revolving credit facility through JPMorgan Chase won't expire until next April."

Options being pursued include attracting new capital, selling studio equity, reducing operations and even, as a last resort, liquidating the company. But these are tough times to be seeking movie money and although MGM has been on the hunt for new capital for months, it hasn't found any yet.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow