Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Milli Vanilli

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   NeilTHI

NeilTHI

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 10:33 AM

So, did you get your money back?

From This Day in Music.com

1992, a Chicago court settled the Milli Vanilli class action suit by approving cash rebates of up to $3 (£1.76) to anyone proving they bought the group’s music before November 27 1990, the date the lip synching scandal broke.

Milli Vanilli won the 1989 best new artist Grammy after hits like "Blame it on the Rain" and "Girl, You Know It's True," selling 30 million singles and 14 million albums. But in late 1990, the performers were stripped of the award after it was revealed that neither actually sang on the Milli Vanilli album.
"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 12:25 PM

Honestly, I want to get a few of their songs but the album is OOP and goes for more than most used CDs and I read that the "Greatest Hits" CD isn't all original recordings...maybe it has the actual guys singing on it or something. Posted Image

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,981 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 24 2009 - 12:35 PM

It never bothered me that much. Certainly not enough to have joined a class action suit had I bought the album back then. The songs are the same even if the credits are lies. Note: I'm not questioning the merit of any of those cases, because I certainly haven't followed the proceedings. I just wouldn't have gotten in on it.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   member666

member666

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 02:04 PM

Are there any shows or documentary's on this group and the whole story? I would be interested in watching it, interesting really.
Party People

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,074 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 06:19 AM

I heard someone's doing a movie about the story. I had that idea a few years ago; I should sue. Meanwhile, the Grammys haven't learned a thing from that fiasco.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 09:56 AM

VH-1 did one of those behind the scenes type stories about them. Funny thing about this is that now studio technology has taken the place of having stand-in singers, and nobody seems to care. So then you had Milli and Vanilli who couldn't sing, and were given stand-in singers to record the music while they were the face and image of the act. Today, you have dozens of so called "musicians" who can't sing, and have their voices completely engineered in the studio to sound decent, while they are the face and image of the act. What's the difference?
Carl

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted April 04 2009 - 04:06 AM

I have their 2 US releases (Girl You Know It's True & The Remix Album) and several of their imports and singles. The music is what it is. I never understood the outrage and today don't even think it would grab a headline.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 03:20 AM

Agreed. I think it's funny that once the front guys were exposed, suddenly the music "got bad" and everyone stopped playing/listening to it. I still listen to it, the music was good then, it's good now.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted April 09 2009 - 10:05 AM

Neil, Do you post on the message boards at promoonly.com? Its a DJ musicpool website. Theres a thread about them over there right now. Just wondering.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...