What's new

*** Official 2009 Warner Chat and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will post most answers to questions asked during the chat in this thread. Members are welcome to post any questions or answers I might miss and to discuss the topics discussed in tonight's chat.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, we're getting ready to start.

The Warner Archive DVDs will be available worldwide. It will be coming in the near future as they work out the details. This will be for only the titles they have rights to worldwide which is most of them.

This discs are manufactured with high quality and are quite different than the home used DVDRs. Warner stands by the quality of these discs. Also, this Warner Archive program doesn't replace their retail initiatives.

Does Warner have any plans to follow Fox in preparing deluxe releases of silent and early talkies?

Warner: Indeed, The Big Parade, The Wind, The Crowd, etc. working with Kevin Brownlow to update some restorations on all those premeire silents. Also, 20 more silents will be release on-line besides the ones listed right now.

Can we get the old logos instead of the new ones on classic films when they come out on DVD and BRD?

Warner: We have noticed the comments about this issue and have talked with corporate about it, but with no resolution yet.

Will the rest of the Abbott/Costello (Captain Kidd, Beanstalk, Rio Rita) movies come out on dvd?

Warner: Yes, they will be coming out in the future, but dates are subject to change while your patience will be rewarded in time.

Will the rest of the Tarzan films from the 50s and 60s be coming out even if Warner didn't release them to the theaters back then?

Warner: Yes, we have the rights to all of the Tarzan films and they will be coming out in the near future.

Can we expect Joan Crawford Volume 3, Ginger Rogers/RKO comedies and a 4th volume of classic musicals from the Dream Factory?

Warner: There will be more Jane Powell thru Warner Archive also a selection of Ginger Roger comedies.

Which series of films besides Tarzan are coming in the next year and how will they be priced on Warner Archive?

Warner: In 2010, restored Charlie Chan Monogram films coming from the original nitrate negatives.

Will Warner continue to release better SD transfers/releases for titles that got bad transfers or barebone releases like The Last Boyscout and Ladyhawke?

Warner: We will be releasing double feature releases with anamorphic widescreen later this year for many titles.

Will we see Brewster McCloud, The Devils and The Power this year?

Warner: All three titles are under consideration.

How about a fifth film noir set? Such as Stranger on the Third Floor, I Died a Thousand Times, Born to be Bad, The Locket, The Armored Car Robbery, Riffraff, The Clay Pigeon.

Warner: A fifth box set is coming in the coming months, but not with any of those titles. Also, some those film noirs might be available with Warner Archive.

Anymore ultra resolution restorations making their way to DVD, Blu-ray & Warner Archive?

Warner: Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind are coming out on Blu-ray. We're still working on Show Boat (1951) to be a part of the Show Boat Collection. It will happen, trust us.

Last year you mentioned The Magnificent Ambersons and The Lost Squadron, are they still coming out?

Warner: The Magnificent Ambersons is still in the planning stages with bonus material requiring more time and money. The Lost Squadron is not in the planning stage at the moment.

Are The Gremlins coming out with bonus material?

Warner: Yes, The Gremlins on BRD is in the cards with supplemental material being discussed.

Will Nothing Last Forever, Spies Like Us and Over the Rainbow be available on Warner Archive?

Warner: All three titles are coming out, but not on Warner Archive.

What supplemental material for Ambersons and Journey into Fear?

Warner: There will be significant supplemental material and production history for Ambersons. Journey into Fear will come out the same time, but we can't lock in a date.

When are the Dark Shadow films coming out? Will it be when the new Johnny Depp film comes out?

Warner: We will be releasing the Dark Shadow films in conjunction with the new Johnny Depp film. More to come.

With the Archives program, any collections of shorts coming out like Joe McDokes?

Warner: Yes! There will be short collections and cartoons through Warner Archives like McDokes, Dogville, Pete Smith, etc. The first shorts are scheduled for 2010.

Anymore Smilebox versions for other cinerama films like Grand Prix, 2001 A Space Odyssey?

Warner: We're looking into other Smilebox opportunities.

How about No Time for Sergeants?

Warner: We finally found the heirs of the author of the play and we're in discussions with them. It's looking optimistic right now.

How about MacDonald/Eddy operattas and early Cagney films?

Warner: We are evaluating the film elements of those Nelson and Jeanette films. The Cagney films will be available through Warner Archive shortly.

How about THX-1138 and Josey Wales on Blu-ray?

Warner: Josey Wales coming out on BRD next year and 1138 about the same time.

Why the Bowery Boys taking so long?

Warner: We found the original negative of Mr. Hex and will hopefully have some of these ready in the not to distance future. We're putting a lot of effort into them and they will look great when released. Looks like 2010.

The pricing of the titles at 19.95 at Warner Archive is rather high, will the price be lowered?

Warner: The amount of purchases have been great and the issue of pricing has not been discussed.

Any plans for Barry Lyndon and Lolita?

Warner: If you mean new editions, no.

Are there any plans for a more elaborate release of The Dark Knight?

Warner: There maybe future BD Live events planned for TDK in the future.

Do you have any plans for retail releases with Beast with five fingers, Walking Dead. Or Warner Archive with Smiling Ghost, Mysterious Doctor.

Warner: Good news on both fronts. Frankenstein 1970, Walking Dead, Zombies on Broadway and You'll find out coming out on Holloween. Frankenstein 1970 will be anamorphic. Other titles will be available on Warner Archive.

I would like Little Shop of Horrors and Goonies on BRD?

Warner: We're planning a 25th anniversary for Goonies next year. Also, we plan to do a correct Shop of Horrors on BRD, but nothing solid yet.

Will there be a 5th Gangster Boxset?

Warner: No further boxsets are planned, but more Bogart/Cagney/Robinson/Raft titles on Warner Archive.

How about the Green Slime?

Warner: We had it on the schedule, but it got pulled. We hope to get it back on schedule soon.

Any news on New Line titles like the Jason films and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me on BRD?

Warner: The Jason movies will be coming out on BRD. At least one this year. No plans for Twin Peaks.

Any plans for Mary, Mary or The Chapman Report or Claudelle Inglish?

Warner: Mary, Mary will be out on Warner Archive in September. The others are likely to follow, but no date.

How about The Prize, Mission to Moscow, and Joel McCrea westerns?

Warner: The Prize is undergoing remastering at the moment. Mission to Moscow and Joel McCrea westerns will be made available on Warner Archive this year.

Any plans to issue Jean Simmons films? How about a 2nd Esther Williams collection?

Warner: A 2nd volume of Esther Williams coming this summer. Simmons films like Young Bess and Home Before Dark coming through Warner Archive in 2010. This could be the Night and Until they Sail require remastering with no set date.

How about The Maltese Falcon, Devil's Advocate and The Exorcist on BRD?

Warner: The Exorcist is currently being remastered for a BRD release by the director and cinematographer. The Maltese Falcon is a good candidate for it's 70 Anniversary in 2011. No plans for The Devil's Advocate.

Anymore Micky and Judy boxsets?

Warner: Yes, we're releasing five more Judy films and a now being restored A Star is Born SE for 2010.

How about the high pricing of GWTW and Wizard of Oz on BRD?

Warner: We've heard your comments and are discussing it with higher management.

How about Heat?

Warner: Heat is being remastered under the direction of Michael Mann. We hope to have it out on BRD shortly.

Any truth to the rumors of a marketing deal with Criterion? And how about releases for Zabriske Point and Badlands?

Warner: We've had some discussions with Criterion regarding a limited group of films at the behest of their respective directors. Zabriske Point is being released by WHV as part of our Directors Showcase at the end of May. A new anamorphic transfer.

Any chance for a SE of Demolition Man or a first time release of Treasure Island (1990)?

Warner: No plans for Demolition Man. Treasure Island is a TV movie and is under the control of the TV marketing group. We have made them aware of the interest in this title.

Does Warner have any silent or early talkies of Sherlock Holmes?

Warner: We do not own any Sherlock Holmes films.

Will you be releasing 20 titles a week through Warner Archive and how will they be chosen? Also, what westerns from the 50s, 60s and 70s in the near future?

Warner: There will be 20 titles per month. There will be westerns available, but mostly from the 40s and 50s. Some Randolph westerns including Trail Street available next month through Warner Archive. Look for new annoucements on April 1st and April 15th.

Any chance of Where Eagles Dare and Hammer films on BRD?

Warner: Where Eagles Dare is coming next year. No plans for Hammer films.

Any chance for Alex in Wonderland?

Warner: A perfect title for Warner Archive

Any chance for The Constant Nymph or The Glass Menagarie? And what about the Harlow/Garfield Collections.

Warner: Harlow coming in 2011. Garfield titles coming this summer on Warner Archive. The Constant Nymph has rights issues. Fox owns The Glass Menagarie.

Any chance of revisiting Superman: The Movie and Superman II

Warner: Been There, Done That.

How about When Time Ran Out extended version? Also, any chance or rereleasing full frame titles on Warner Archive?

Warner: When Time Ran Out is only available in it's current form. Full frame titles will be addressed through further retail and warner archive releases.

How about Contact and Branaugh's Hamlet?

Warner: Contact on BRD this Fall and Hamlet in 2010.

Is Greed coming out on dvd, brd?

Warner: Greed is coming out in conjunction with our Kevin Brownlow series of films.

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't see if I could reply to this, but I can't seem to connect to the chat.

If anyone could ask for me about Blu-ray releases of The Last Boy Scout, Cobra, and/or The Long Kiss Goodnight as well as Pretty Maids All in a Row, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

jim om

Auditioning
My requests: Could someone please ask if there are any plans to release "CABARET" (that great 8 Oscar Winning Musical that Warner's seems to have forgotten about) on Blu-ray/upgradeddvd.
Many thanks,
Jim

DanMel

Second Unit
I hope someone asked on the Hanging tree status in a regular release or the Warner Archieve.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I can't get in either. Bummer. I just want to know if/when they plan to finish off their Kubrick titles on Blu-ray with Barry Lyndon and Lolita.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Unable to connect, but I would love to know about a non-PD version of "Father's Little Dividend".

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm having a little trouble getting into the chat but the McDoakes set is mine and I'll promise to buy 2 copies. Hopefully the Crime Does Not Pay series will also be included at some point. I don't care what else they announce for the rest of the night because this news has certainly made my day. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Thank you to whomever asked about Barry Lyndon and Lolita, but was Blu-ray not clarified? WB seemed to think the question was regarding DVDs. :frowning:

Real Name
Anthony
Is THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING coming to Blu-ray? Any plans for OUTLAND?

And do they really mean they won't be releasing BARRY LYNDON or LOLITA on Blu-ray??!

Corey

Screenwriter
I'm bummed that I can't connect!!! :frowning: Can someone ask about the early Judy Garland films, Garbo's last film, Two Faced Woman and if there is still a Harlow set coming??

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The evasiveness and vagueness of many of Warner's responses is disconcerting.

Somone asked about a Joan Crawford vol. 3 and a Musicals From The Dream Factory vol. 4 and neither question was answered, just a "more Jane Powell movies coming to the archives".

Someone asked about a fifth film noir set and gave a list of titles. Warners responded yes there will be a fifth noir set but not with those titles. Uh, how about letting us know what titles ARE in the fifth noir set.

Corey

Screenwriter

What's the purpose of the chat if they're just gonna evade questions and just say yes and no?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm getting really tired of Blu-Ray release questions. I'm all for Blu-Ray, but I can't believe that re-releases are your biggest concerns, especially for major titles like Kubrick, etc... Certainly they're coming, you just might have to wait 1-2 years.

I'm going to check out and read the transcript in the morning.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Because on this board and around the web people give them a beating. If they gave us five titles tonight and it turned out one needed MAJOR restoration and had to be replaced with a different title, people across the net would bash them and say they are liars. It must better to play it safe so a wildfire doesn't break out by internet folks who don't know what they're talking about.

They don't have to waste their time with these chats at all so any news is good news no matter how vague it is. People still bring up stuff they've said in previous chats and use it against them so I personally can't blame them for not showing all their cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks