-

Photo
- - - - -

PSB Image series - Opinions for my listening ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Ferns

Richard Ferns

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 02:52 AM

I have seen a 5 speaker PSB package for sale. I am looking for fronts and rears for my Denon 2808. I also have a Samsung 6 Series LCD tv (LN46A650). I have an older upconverting Sony DVD player which I dont use much. I also have my digital HD box feeding into my Denon. I also have my PC sound card output connected to the Denon just through right/left audio (composite?).

My uses are 25% movies, 25% cable tv, 50% music (70% of which are mp3s from PC and 30% radio or CDs). My music selection is mainly Latin (lots of percussion), Jazz, Reggae, classical, some rock.

Can I please your opinions on these speakers for my use and the prices being asked for the pairs/set. Secondly, how do PSBs compare to say Paradigm monitor 7s and 9s, B&Ws, Energy or Klipsch. <--- are the only other brands I have access to locally in Atlantic Canada.

The PSBs for sale are :
2 front towers, 2 surrounds with stand and a center channel.
"This was rated best speaker under $1000 when I purchased it for $999. All are matching, from the same series and capable of preforming at a very high level. The model numbers are as followed, and the price I paid:
Image 2B - $399
Image 5T - $999
Image 8C - $300 I will sell for 200, 475, 150 or together for $750."

Are the statements about the speakers true ? Are they worth the prices being asked ? Appreciate opinions and time from you experienced users and experts.

Regards,
Rich

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Ferns

Richard Ferns

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 02:39 AM

Can someone please comment ? Sorry, I just dont want to lose out on these PSBs if they are considered a good deal and are comparable to B&Ws or Paradigms 7s or 9s. Thanks for your time.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Ennsio

Ennsio

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 05:11 AM

Sorry, I have not listened to PSBs to comment on how they compare to the Paradigms or B&W. Can you listen to the speakers that you found the deal for, or listen to other PSBs to see how you like them? Speaker selection is a really subjective thing so it's hard for one person to say what someone else will like.

If you can go demo some speakers, take along some of your favourite Latin music to see how it sounds since that is what you will listen to the most.

Have you read any online reviews of the speakers? I found a few:
Stereophile review of PSB image series (B25 in particular):
Stereophile: PSB Image B25 loudspeaker

Customer reviews of Image 5t on Audioreview:
PSB Speakers Image 5T Reviews

Home theater hifi review of Image 5t:
Product Review

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted March 24 2009 - 05:12 AM

Speaker ratings are like movie ratings. They only apply to those who like the speaker (movie type) in question (not everyone likes romance movies, but they are still rated highly). You should listen to them yourself.

I can't comment on the speakers in question, but I can tell you that the ones you want to compare are very different from each other. You have to hear them yourself to know what I mean.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Ferns

Richard Ferns

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I agree speaker selection is subjective. However, can you please comment on the price for those PSBs. How old are they, how many generations back ? Is the price reasonable ? I will take my amp down to the guy's house and audition them. Appreciate it if I can get some comments on whether they are worth the price being asked.

-R