What's new

TITANIC: Jim Cameron's film in 3-D coming...eventually. (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this will translate to 3-D 'better' than movies actually made for 3-D. The movies that I've seen shot in 3-D understandably want to show off their 3-D effects a little and while that's fun, it also sticks out like a sore thumb. In other words, I wonder if something like Titanic converted to 3-D will work better than movies shot in 3-D because it was initially shot without any 3-D flourishes.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The only made-in-3-D movie I've seen, on television no-less, was one of those gawdawful "Friday The 13th" movies.

Every time some one picked up an object, I half-expected them to wink at the camera. It was so ridiculous on TV, I can't imagine what it would have looked like with the glasses on. :D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Saw Coraline in 3D twice and loved it, but I did get a little eye strain while doing so.
194 minutes of Titanic 3D would be too much for me, but I would like to catch Rose's modeling session.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'd be happy with a 2D IMAX version. But 3D would get me into a theater again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ For what it's worth, the new Real-D 3-D process is much easier on the eyes than the old red and blue glasses that you may be thinking of. I saw the My Bloody Valentine remake (using the Real-D) and I didn't have any problem. Around the same time, I watched the new Friday The 13th Part III in 3-D DVD (using the red and blue glasses) and after about twenty minutes, I thought my head was about to explode. That being said, even with the Real-D, 3 hours might be a whole different story.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
They preserved the 3-D effect on the DVD of that movie?

Interesting. Wouldn't convince me to sit through it again but it's interesting.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan

Actually the real 3D ones are what I was thinking of. I recentley saw Coraline (great movie) in real 3D and even then it still bothered my eyes. I don't think that 3D has that big of an effect in cinema anyway. It really doesn't help make a good story at all. People will go see a movie in 3D just because it's in 3D, not because they think it's a good movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that I had a stronger tolerance for the Real-D than others. Like I said in my other posts, the red and blue glasses hurt my head pretty quickly so I figured that I'd be pretty susceptible to headaches with the Real-D as well but that wasn't the case.

Yeah, on the latest re-release (which was released to coincide with the remake), they finally released a 3-D version of it. If you're not a F13 fan, don't bother checking it out.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Back in 2001 or so, when I still had 'premium' channels, I saw a marathon of parts 1 through...hell I don't even know how many there are, but I think the last one had a yacht or something.

Those movies are good for a laugh, but no I can't say I'm a fan.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I remember one of the movies had a scene outside, and this girl was on the grass with these huge fully exposed....well. That one wasn't ALL bad. ;)

Do these 3-D presentations look anything like those old Viewmaster toys? Those were pretty cool. That's what comes to mind when describing these things without the red/blue glasses.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I wonder if they would actually render all of Titanic in 3-D or just select scenes like they did with the IMAX versions of Superman Returns and the last Harry Potter movie? If they do this, I hope they'll render the entire movie in 3-D. 3-D is a distracting gimmick as it is but, when you actually have to put the glasses on your face in the middle of a dramatic scene, it really pulls you out of the story; the exact opposite of what the 3-D is supposed to do.

Also, FWIW, the new Real-D glasses don't bother me. The red/blue glasses leave me seeing red out of one eye and blue out of the other for about 1/2 hour after the movie is over.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

No, but I despise the movie. That said, even the original Star Wars trilogy in 3D probably won't get me into the theaters. I'm interested to see where 3D is now, but I rarely go to the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks