-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Slumdog Millionaire DVD errors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze

Producer

• 3,060 posts

Posted March 21 2009 - 04:05 AM

Hi,
I bought an early copy of Slumdog Millionaire on DVD but...
as stated in my review HERE:
Quote:
...despite the listing on the back of the box - this has NO viable extras (Menus do not support the supplements listed on the package as well - ie. commentary, making of..., deleted scenes etc.) So there is an error somewhere. We will review this disc anticipating the mistake is on the box - NOT the DVD authoring. If it proves otherwise - we will alter our coverage. It is also possible that my copy, alone, is faulty - but due to the accuracy of the menus (specifically the Special Features Menu) I find this remote. Lastly - it could be the rare 'Canadian' edition rearing its head - again unlikely IMO.

Anyone know where my brain-cramp resides?
Also - I am correct that this single disc is the only DVD available in region 1? (there is no two disc package?)
I also own the Blu-ray and it appears to have all the extras...
Thanks,
Gary

#2 of 22 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,689 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 21 2009 - 06:28 AM

I thought that I read that Fox was dropping extras from their rental copies but I don't know why that would effect a disc you bought. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read it.

#3 of 22 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 21 2009 - 07:14 AM

I think that if the cover art mentions it, and the Blu-Ray has all the supplements they are supposed to be there on the dvd as well. I guess it's an authoring mistake.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#4 of 22 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 05:19 AM

I've only received the non-retail screener, but it has a bunch of extras...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#5 of 22 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 01:56 AM

Updating myself: I received the final retail product today - my prior copy was one of those DVD-R "screeners" Fox sends. The "screener" has all the extras, the retail DVD does NOT.

Weird! The "screeners" represent final product - they just look like crap because they cram everything onto a single-layer DVD-R. I have no idea how the extras got lost from "screener" time to the authoring of the final DVD...
Colin Jacobson

#6 of 22 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted March 29 2009 - 11:12 AM

It has trailers...

#7 of 22 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo
It has trailers...

But it's SUPPOSED to have two commentaries, deleted scenes, and some other elements. It shouldn't just have some trailers.

Someone screwed up!
Colin Jacobson

#8 of 22 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 09:05 PM

the studios had better not be playing that game of "exclusive to BR!" crap-I think most people have had enough -after 15 New! improved! copies of a given movie continually rolling out-at some point people will say (are saying-enough!)-and will just drop out altogether-and in this economy-dont be fooled by the lull=a 30% drop in CRE (comm real estate) is on the horizon-with up to hundreds of thousands more layoffs-now is not the time to screw with peoples precious descresionary spending-if the have it at all-they could kill off BOTH formats
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#9 of 22 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 01:34 AM

So - does the Blu-ray have the extras?

#10 of 22 Patrick H.

Patrick H.

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 05:41 AM

I see angry reviews popping up on Amazon already...

Reading the links to the articles provided in Gary's review, I think it's pretty evident what's happened here. Fox stated they were removing extras from rental copies, in a presumed effort to push actual purchases. Now it appears these bare-bones discs have somehow flooded the market, justifiably angering those who actually DO purchase them. And the affected title is no less than last year's Best Picture-winner.

While I'm certain this situation is an accident, I do have to point and laugh a bit. Oh, and not buy this disc, which I was fully planning to do...

#11 of 22 supes78

supes78

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 06:01 AM

I agree, I think that's exactly what went wrong. I found this article that pretty much predicted this disaster happening;

DVD News: 20th Century Fox — Disaster in the Making | Popdose

It states that FOX will no longer have special features for DVDs meant for rental purposes, thus forcing people to buy the DVDs instead of renting. The policy was to go into effect with Slumdog Millionaire but I think somebody messed up BIG TIME and issued the special features-less DVDs for the retail market DVDs as well! The studio better issue a fix for this! Such a shame this debacle had to befall such a great movie...

#12 of 22 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 06:05 AM

Fox did a recall/exchange program when the first "Star Wars" trilogy box set was released. Some copies of "A New Hope" had an authoring error that caused the disc to hang up at the layer change.

I'm sure there will be one for "Slumdog".
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#13 of 22 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 10:27 AM

You can get a replacement by calling 1-888-223-4FOX (4369).

They'll ask you a few questions involving the UPC and the disc artwork to verify that you have the disc in-hand.

The whole process is pretty painless, though hold times are sure to increase as word of the replacement program spreads.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#14 of 22 supes78

supes78

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted March 31 2009 - 11:00 AM

Painless maybe but the rep couldn't confirm for me how long it would take to get a replacement copy.

#15 of 22 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts

Posted April 01 2009 - 09:17 AM

I really don't see how this extras-less rental policy is beneficial to anyone, including the studio. I guess Fox is banking on people buying instead of renting, but will the profits from that speculation offset the cost of having to press a separate version of the disc?

(This is the same question I have of all these special editions that have one whole disc devoted to a digital copy of the film, while Disc 1 is full of special features that aren't on the single-disc release.)

And of course, now with Fox mixing up the discs like this, is that going to make people that would buy the disc for the special features less likely to buy in the future?
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#16 of 22 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted April 01 2009 - 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck
I really don't see how this extras-less rental policy is beneficial to anyone, including the studio. I guess Fox is banking on people buying instead of renting, but will the profits from that speculation offset the cost of having to press a separate version of the disc?

I imagine it's not that expensive to press two different discs - I'm sure the costs are negligible.

I guess they think that the absence of extras on the rental copy will push people to buy - but I don't see how this will work if they don't ADVERTISE the differences. My contacts at FOX didn't even know what was up with this title - how is the average viewer going to be aware of the differences if the folks who made the stupid thing don't know about it?
Colin Jacobson

#17 of 22 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts

Posted April 01 2009 - 10:59 AM

Quote:
I imagine it's not that expensive to press two different discs - I'm sure the costs are negligible.

I guess not, but it is one extra thing to keep track of, and as we've seen...oops.

At least they're offering an exchange, though.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#18 of 22 TommyT

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 243 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 07:37 AM

Damn, I feel like I won the lottery! My DVD was error-free! Got it at my local Best Buy, about 80 mi N of NYC.
It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime,
What better place than here? What better time than now?

-Rage Against the Machine

#19 of 22 Charlie Kaus

Charlie Kaus

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 08:21 AM

I just called the studio and the rep told me that my replacement would arrive in 2-3 days. I hope that helps.

Charlie

#20 of 22 Charlie Kaus

Charlie Kaus

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 07:01 AM

I got my replacement DVD today. Les than 24hrs after I ordered it so hopefully everyone should be getting theirs soon as well.

Charlie

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow