What's new

Slumdog Millionaire DVD errors (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Hi,
I bought an early copy of Slumdog Millionaire on DVD but...
as stated in my review HERE:

Anyone know where my brain-cramp resides?
Also - I am correct that this single disc is the only DVD available in region 1? (there is no two disc package?)
I also own the Blu-ray and it appears to have all the extras...
Thanks,
Gary

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I think that if the cover art mentions it, and the Blu-Ray has all the supplements they are supposed to be there on the dvd as well. I guess it's an authoring mistake.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Updating myself: I received the final retail product today - my prior copy was one of those DVD-R "screeners" Fox sends. The "screener" has all the extras, the retail DVD does NOT.

Weird! The "screeners" represent final product - they just look like crap because they cram everything onto a single-layer DVD-R. I have no idea how the extras got lost from "screener" time to the authoring of the final DVD...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But it's SUPPOSED to have two commentaries, deleted scenes, and some other elements. It shouldn't just have some trailers.

Someone screwed up!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
the studios had better not be playing that game of "exclusive to BR!" crap-I think most people have had enough -after 15 New! improved! copies of a given movie continually rolling out-at some point people will say (are saying-enough!)-and will just drop out altogether-and in this economy-dont be fooled by the lull=a 30% drop in CRE (comm real estate) is on the horizon-with up to hundreds of thousands more layoffs-now is not the time to screw with peoples precious descresionary spending-if the have it at all-they could kill off BOTH formats

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I see angry reviews popping up on Amazon already...

Reading the links to the articles provided in Gary's review, I think it's pretty evident what's happened here. Fox stated they were removing extras from rental copies, in a presumed effort to push actual purchases. Now it appears these bare-bones discs have somehow flooded the market, justifiably angering those who actually DO purchase them. And the affected title is no less than last year's Best Picture-winner.

While I'm certain this situation is an accident, I do have to point and laugh a bit. Oh, and not buy this disc, which I was fully planning to do...

supes78

Agent
Real Name
Seby
I agree, I think that's exactly what went wrong. I found this article that pretty much predicted this disaster happening;

DVD News: 20th Century Fox — Disaster in the Making | Popdose

It states that FOX will no longer have special features for DVDs meant for rental purposes, thus forcing people to buy the DVDs instead of renting. The policy was to go into effect with Slumdog Millionaire but I think somebody messed up BIG TIME and issued the special features-less DVDs for the retail market DVDs as well! The studio better issue a fix for this! Such a shame this debacle had to befall such a great movie...

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Fox did a recall/exchange program when the first "Star Wars" trilogy box set was released. Some copies of "A New Hope" had an authoring error that caused the disc to hang up at the layer change.

I'm sure there will be one for "Slumdog".

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
You can get a replacement by calling 1-888-223-4FOX (4369).

They'll ask you a few questions involving the UPC and the disc artwork to verify that you have the disc in-hand.

The whole process is pretty painless, though hold times are sure to increase as word of the replacement program spreads.

supes78

Agent
Real Name
Seby
Painless maybe but the rep couldn't confirm for me how long it would take to get a replacement copy.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I really don't see how this extras-less rental policy is beneficial to anyone, including the studio. I guess Fox is banking on people buying instead of renting, but will the profits from that speculation offset the cost of having to press a separate version of the disc?

(This is the same question I have of all these special editions that have one whole disc devoted to a digital copy of the film, while Disc 1 is full of special features that aren't on the single-disc release.)

And of course, now with Fox mixing up the discs like this, is that going to make people that would buy the disc for the special features less likely to buy in the future?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I imagine it's not that expensive to press two different discs - I'm sure the costs are negligible.

I guess they think that the absence of extras on the rental copy will push people to buy - but I don't see how this will work if they don't ADVERTISE the differences. My contacts at FOX didn't even know what was up with this title - how is the average viewer going to be aware of the differences if the folks who made the stupid thing don't know about it?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

I guess not, but it is one extra thing to keep track of, and as we've seen...oops.

At least they're offering an exchange, though.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Damn, I feel like I won the lottery! My DVD was error-free! Got it at my local Best Buy, about 80 mi N of NYC.

Charlie Kaus

Agent
I got my replacement DVD today. Les than 24hrs after I ordered it so hopefully everyone should be getting theirs soon as well.

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks