Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Robert Harris on The Bits: The Alamo

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

#41 of 421 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstrup
Dear Robert,

We spoke on the phone many years ago (early 90´s) about the restoration of Lawrence (when I called you from Copenhagen, I will never forget that illuminating conversation, also since we got interrupted by a thunderstorm which knocked out the entire NYC powergrid).

I am really happy to see that this particular project will FINALLY go forward, not a moment to soon and hopefully not to late....

Are you in contact with the editor of in70mm.com about the current project?

I'm certain that Thomas is aware, or will be shortly.

Quote:
It would be fantastic at the end of this whole project if you could come to the International Copenhagen 70mm film festival next year and present the film.

Agreed, as well as Bradford and others.

Quote:
I wish you and your team all the best for the work ahead!

A question: why the decision to scan to Vistavision instead of 65mm?

Many thanks,

Ole ALstrup

Scanning the cut scenes in Vista, as we need to copy from the 70mm print, and the Eastman duping stock is not produced in 65mm. VVLA is the closest we can get.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#42 of 421 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,154 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 07:08 AM

Count me as someone who would be more than happy, thrilled even, to make a donation towards the funding of this restoration.

#43 of 421 johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi there.

I very rarely post here and - to be 100% honest - haven't even seen The Alamo, I am ashamed to say. However I am fully aware of its place in film history and would love to contribute something via PayPal. I'm sure with the combined generosity of many of us film fanatics out there a PayPal contribution system could actually generate quite a bit of funding for this restoration.

Cheers,

- John

#44 of 421 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 24 2009 - 04:47 PM

Wonderful, it's obvious how exciting this project is just looking at the number of new members posting right here.

I might not be able to donate much but I will send a few dollars
as soon as it is set up.

facebook.com/whotony

#45 of 421 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,415 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 29 2009 - 07:02 AM

I'll help any way I can; count me in too.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#46 of 421 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted April 02 2009 - 08:30 AM

Robert, Do you know at this time if you will be able to have the original studio opening logos attached or will they want the new version attached?

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#47 of 421 wpatterson

wpatterson

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 12:22 PM

Robert,

I, too, am very pleased to hear about your work on The Alamo. I have been very impressed with your work on restoring Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.

Would you by any chance have information regarding a possible 4K restoration of The Bridge on the River Kwai? It's my favorite David Lean film, and I always felt it could use a new restoration.

#48 of 421 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger
Robert, Do you know at this time if you will be able to have the original studio opening logos attached or will they want the new version attached?

There were no logos.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#49 of 421 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatterson

Would you by any chance have information regarding a possible 4K restoration of The Bridge on the River Kwai? It's my favorite David Lean film, and I always felt it could use a new restoration.

Kwai is in good hands at Columbia.

RAH

#50 of 421 Jo_C

Jo_C

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
There were no logos.

RAH

Hmmm...interesting, Robert. Considering UA logos up until at least the 1960s were scarcely used at all..I could be wrong. Of course, today, in 2009, we'd see the MGM logo followed by the new UA logo as seen in "Valkyrie" (minus the MGM byline, of course).

#51 of 421 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,994 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 04 2009 - 08:55 AM

Any UA films I've seen in repertory theaters made prior to the 1967 Transamerica acquisition have had no logos either. I've only seen 35mm prints of The Sweet Smell of Success, Some Like it Hot and West Side Story, but none of them had a logo.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#52 of 421 SFX

SFX

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 06:32 AM

Mr Harris,

I'm very excited to learn that you are involved in a new restoration project. I do appreciate all the work you did so far, and although by now I never had the chance to watch THE ALAMO - I'm just too young -, I'm sure this will be a new highlight, especially when there is a chance to do it in 70mm also for projection purpose. Berlin Festival's Retrospective earlier this year proved a deep interest in this format from a very young audience that, by now, did not have a chance of a regular 70mm-experience.

By the way, being not too familiar with restoration techniques, maybe you could explain to me why it is necessary first to print elements to Vistavision duping stock before scanning it (I'm aware of your remarks to Ole Alstrup earlier in this thread). Does this mean that available scanners are not able to handle 70mm release prints properly for a direct scan?

Yours very truly, all the best for your future work

Klaus

#53 of 421 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 05:00 AM

And yet another link:

Robert Siegel's Golden Hollywood - The Alamo

This one from the Bits, and care of Robert Siegel.

RAH

#54 of 421 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,415 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 06 2009 - 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
And yet another link:

Robert Siegel's Golden Hollywood - The Alamo

This one from the Bits, and care of Robert Siegel.

RAH

That's fine work by Robert; this, though it's seven years old now, is also worth a read: ‘Remember the Alamo!’- John Wayne's 'The Alamo'
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#55 of 421 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 08 2009 - 06:51 AM

Looks like good news! The original article has been updated:
Yellow Layer Failure, Vinegar Syndrome and Miscellaneous Musings by Robert A. Harris

Quote:
You Can Contribute to the Alamo Restoration Effort

We that hope everyone who reads this column will help support Robert Harris' official effort to return The Alamo to its full original glory. The project's charitable sponsor is now accepting contribution checks toward the restoration of the film. (Note that links for credit card and PayPal donations will be available soon - check back here shortly.) All contributions are tax deductible. Contribution checks should be made out payable to...

Jacob Burns Film Center, Inc.

...with the information: "f/b/o Alamo Restoration" in the memo field, normally lower left.

The mailing address is:

Jacob Burns Film Center
405 Manville Road
Pleasantville, NY 10570
Att: Dominick Balletta

count me in as soon as Paypal is a go!

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#56 of 421 marcuslaw

marcuslaw

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
That's fine work by Robert; this, though it's seven years old now, is also worth a read: ‘Remember the Alamo!’- John Wayne's 'The Alamo'

The article found with this link is dated 2002 and announces that, back then, you, Robert, and James Katz, had at least announced the intention to restore the Alamo. What, if anything, happened between then and the latest announcement towards its restoration? BTW, I mailed a check with my contribution the first day the Film Center information was announced! Good luck.

#57 of 421 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted April 08 2009 - 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw
The article found with this link is dated 2002 and announces that, back then, you, Robert, and James Katz, had at least announced the intention to restore the Alamo. What, if anything, happened between then and the latest announcement towards its restoration? BTW, I mailed a check with my contribution the first day the Film Center information was announced! Good luck.

First allow me to thank you for your contribution.

What has occurred, is that much like The Godfather(s), The Alamo could not be reconstructed or restored without high resolution (4k - 8k) digital tools. To attempt the restoration of a film in a resolution lower than that allowing the harvesting of all information gets you nowhere.

There are half a dozen shots in My Fair Lady, which was restored in 1994 that needed digital tools. Today those shots stand out as lower resolved and are best replaced and upgraded.

RAH

#58 of 421 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 659 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 16 2009 - 09:30 AM

I hope everything comes together for THE ALAMO. And my dream is to someday (in the not too distant future) we will have a similar thread for IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD.

#59 of 421 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted April 17 2009 - 12:25 AM

As an update, we're realigning our fundraising effort toward Corporate Sponsorships only. The Jacob Burns Film Center is acting as charitable sponsor, with all contributions tax deductible. A link will be available shortly.

RAH

#60 of 421 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,626 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 18 2009 - 08:18 AM

Does that mean that no individuals will be able to contribute? Booo if so! =)

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow