-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Robert Harris on The Bits: The Alamo

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

#401 of 421 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,786 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 06:36 PM

I saw the original uncut version of the ALAMO when it was originally released and have that version on dvd as well.The film was not only a flop at the box office but it was mostly fiction. The acting (?) of John Wayne was an embarrassment..

An embarrassment to whom? I wasn't embarrassed and I don't think many other peope were.
  • Richard V likes this

#402 of 421 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,627 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 15 2013 - 03:49 AM

I saw the original uncut version of the ALAMO when it was originally released and have that version on dvd as well.The film was not only a flop at the box office but it was mostly fiction. The acting (?) of John Wayne was an embarrassment.

Nothing about this film is an embarrassment, except the way MGM has treated it the last few years.
  • Richard V likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#403 of 421 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,443 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 04:12 AM

Nothing about this film is an embarrassment, except the way MGM has treated it the last few years.

True dat.
  • Richard V likes this

#404 of 421 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 02:48 PM

Don't know what it means, but on the Screen Archives/Film Score Monthly web site, they have a 3-CD set of the complete score to The Alamo (it's a re-recording of the original orchestrations). And in the bullet points on the page is this:

* New “Directors Cut” of the Complete Epic Film now in Preparation

Could it be true? Here's the link:

http://www.screenarc...COMPLETE-SCORE/

#405 of 421 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,627 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 09 2013 - 03:10 PM

Don't know what it means, but on the Screen Archives/Film Score Monthly web site, they have a 3-CD set of the complete score to The Alamo (it's a re-recording of the original orchestrations). And in the bullet points on the page is this:

* New “Directors Cut” of the Complete Epic Film now in Preparation

Could it be true? Here's the link:

http://www.screenarc...COMPLETE-SCORE/

This soundtrack came out in 2009 when it was thought that RAH was going to get the film restored.

Sure do wish it meant something but feel it is old news.

Edited by ahollis, April 09 2013 - 03:11 PM.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#406 of 421 JSul

JSul

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 06:06 AM

I also saw The Alamo when it premiered here in Fort Worth, TX.
I also have the vinyl LP soundtrack.
It saddens me that so much of our film history is lost...or in the process of being lost forever.

#407 of 421 AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 10:09 AM

Except perhaps the line at the end from Miss Wayne - "Where's daddy, mommy?"  Of all the lines in all the history of the cinema that's the one I would cut, along with "Truly this man was the Son of Gard."  Now wait a minute, isn't there some sort of of connection there?

#408 of 421 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,627 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 21 2013 - 10:16 AM

Except perhaps the line at the end from Miss Wayne - "Where's daddy, mommy?" Of all the lines in all the history of the cinema that's the one I would cut, along with "Truly this man was the Son of Gard." Now wait a minute, isn't there some sort of of connection there?

Still it's treatment over the years by MGM is THE embarrassment.

#409 of 421 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,361 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 21 2013 - 02:12 PM

Except perhaps the line at the end from Miss Wayne - "Where's daddy, mommy?"  Of all the lines in all the history of the cinema that's the one I would cut, along with "Truly this man was the Son of Gard."  Now wait a minute, isn't there some sort of of connection there?

I kind of like that line, I guess I'm just a sentimental fool.

• ahollis likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#410 of 421 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 482 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 03:12 PM

I kind of like that line, I guess I'm just a sentimental fool.

Me too...tears me up every time.

#411 of 421 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted August 04 2013 - 10:45 PM

This odd exchange regarding restoration of The Alamo surfaced over the weekend on, of all places, Twilight Time's Facebook wall:

Matthew Hartman @Phil Johnston They're doing a full restoration of it, been working on it for years, the film negative was badly damaged and is SLOWLY being brought back from the dead, the same process they did for African Queen, it takes years - hopefully late 2014 early 2015 it should be ready.

Paula Vitaris Alas, that is not true. There is no restoration being done on The Alamo. It's sitting on a shelf in storage crumbling away. Back in 2009 it looked like there might be a restoration, but MGM bailed. Read the whole sad story at this Home Theater Forum thread: http://www.hometheat...bits-the-alamo/

Who is Matthew Hartman, and what could possibly be the basis of his assertion that work on this restoration continues quietly in the background with a target release of late '14 or early '15? After finally catching up with this entire thread, I cannot comprehend how such a project could proceed without RAH's expertise, insight, and direct participation. 

So on the one hand this makes no sense at all; on another, it makes one wonder...could someone(s) actually be attempting a digital-realm recovery of this film without a true restoration of its distressed film elements?

Mr. Harris, any idea where all this is coming from?

Edited by ROclockCK, August 04 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#412 of 421 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,805 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted August 04 2013 - 10:55 PM

Who is Matthew Hartman, and what could possibly be the basis of his assertion that work on this restoration continues quietly in the background with a target release of late '14 or early '15?

He read something, somewhere, about hopes for a restoration. Add a bit of make-believe and wishful thinking and 4 + 4 equals 5.

#413 of 421 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted August 04 2013 - 10:59 PM

:B)  Well, that was my first reaction too Douglas, but it was just stated so matter-of-factly...

#414 of 421 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,502 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 05 2013 - 10:14 AM

RAH, if IAMMMMW sells well for Criterion, which I believe it will, is there any chance THEY could persuade Criterion to let them have it or are we just talking too astronomical a price tag for Criterion to tackle it?

#415 of 421 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,390 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 10:22 AM

RAH, if IAMMMMW sells well for Criterion, which I believe it will, is there any chance THEY could persuade Criterion to let them have it or are we just talking too astronomical a price tag for Criterion to tackle it?

Far to complex and expensive without outside support.

There is very little that isn't wrong with the picture elements.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#416 of 421 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,250 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 05 2013 - 10:45 AM

RAH

Dave Strohmaier, Image Trends and Cinerama Inc. did a wonderful job with the three-panel Cinerama travelouges that were in pretty bad shape.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#417 of 421 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,502 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 05 2013 - 10:52 AM

RAH

Such a shame.

(And thanks for overlooking my typo. Of course, I meant persuade MGM to let them have it, not persuade Criterion to let Criterion have it, which makes no sense and makes me dizzy).

#418 of 421 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 11:04 AM

MGM's obstinance borders on sheer hatred for their own property.  How else to explain not only their neglect, but refusal to let anyone else try to restore this deserved movie.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#419 of 421 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,390 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 06:23 PM

Dave Strohmaier, Image Trends and Cinerama Inc. did a wonderful job with the three-panel Cinerama travelouges that were in pretty bad shape.

Apples and elephants.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#420 of 421 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 09:21 PM

Elephants like peanuts.

Vincent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users