Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: Licence to Kill and The Man With The Golden Gun (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 of 65 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,653 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 07:12 AM

I've got the first 2 box set and plan to get this third box set. And QoS separately. That Best Buy deal is interesting to get those 2 titles earlier. I'll hold out and see if the deals are good at Costco too. Later on, one can always buy separate cases and place each film in it's own box which I may do. Or I make my own custom box that's easier to access.

#22 of 65 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 896 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 09:36 AM

Which retailer has the steelbooks for these two?

#23 of 65 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 23 2009 - 10:15 AM

I'd exercise some caution, folks. The Blu-ray of MOONRAKER is pretty awful and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH isn't much better. I've posted on this in the relevant thread - basically, way overcompressed with bit rate dropping to nearly 17 mbps. Something's gone badly wrong, imo.
I've been going to bed early . . .

#24 of 65 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 01:48 PM

I went to my local BB today to confirm this was actually coming out after a post in the Weekly Round Up thread saying that it was not. Good news is it's coming exactly as BB reported. Better news for you and others is that these are, in fact, individual Blu-rays packed in a slip case. I got to look at this set today, but, couldn't buy it yet. Just to give you an idea, the packaging is the same as what was done with the Spiderman blu-ray set.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#25 of 65 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 01:29 AM

I was wondering that myself. No one's announced any yet.

#26 of 65 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 03:12 AM

Can you provide a scene or timestamp of where you are seeing compression problems? Although I have not watched the entire movie, I have sampled this new transfer (Moonraker) and what I saw looked quite good. BTW, a low end bit rate of 17 mb/s for AVC is not low.

#27 of 65 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 05:22 AM

. That should be about 35-40 minutes in I would guess. I realize it's not high on most peoples lists, but it's still a nostalgic favorite of mine and probably the title I was most looking forward to of the rest left. It should have been one of the best looking too, as it was one of the only post Connerys to be given a new 4K transfer. I've also seen chatter of noticeable (intrusive?) EE on LTK. Has anyone checked that one here?

#28 of 65 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 06:13 AM

Hmm. I have also sampled this one and found it to be a very noticeable improvement over the older transfer (forgetting the resolution increase). Now that I think about it, the new transfer of LTK is quite sharp and has a high degree of contrast with very deep black levels. I would not be surprised if some displays may have the look of edge enhancement, but again, I'll take a closer look this evening.

#29 of 65 OFFLINE   Danny_N

Danny_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 06:40 AM

I watched Moonraker (region B release) on my projector a couple of days ago and I thought it looked excellent overall. I just double checked the scene in question on the BD drive in my laptop and I do not see any blurry faces or motion-trailing so it might be Anthony's display that is causing these issues.

#30 of 65 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 24 2009 - 08:29 AM

OK, you'll be glad to hear that I'm an a**hole. I rechecked and I had the dreaded noise reduction on full on my TV. I'd forgotten because I never usually go near it but the night before I'd been watching a horrible quality DVD-R and I was trying anything to make it watchable. So it's a FALSE ALARM - MOONRAKER looks fine. I presume the same will go for THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. I am both ashamed and relieved. The up-side is that even with that function on, NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN looked great, so it must be a really good transfer! Humblest apologies.
I've been going to bed early . . .

#31 of 65 OFFLINE   martymc80s

martymc80s

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 09:19 AM

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, (Anthony I know you've already mentioned this was a mistake on your TV in another post) but just to clarify, the Blu-Ray of Moonraker is a beautiful transfer, and well well worth it if you are a fan of this movie.

#32 of 65 ONLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 12:58 PM

Anybody actually I have the Best Buy boxset in hand? I'm interesting in hearing how Licence to Kill is, as it's one of my fav Bond pictures, and we won't have it here in the UK for a while.

#33 of 65 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,823 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 24 2009 - 01:53 PM

I just picked this up today, and we watched Licence to Kill tonight. The transfer looked wonderful, IMO. The DTS HD Master audio was quite good, except the center channel appeared a little muffled at times.

#34 of 65 ONLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 02:04 PM

Excellent news. Thanks for that Scott. Posted Image

Hopefully DVDBeaver will have some screenshots up soon.

#35 of 65 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,226 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 02:43 PM

I know this is another site, but some great screen caps from LTK and TMWTGG here:

License To Kill + Man With The Golden Gun Coming To BD in May Posted Image - Page 3 - AVS Forum

Has anyone seen screen caps for Moonraker and The World Is Not Enough?

Thanks!

#36 of 65 ONLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 01:31 AM

Cheers Tim, but the link doesn't work. I'll head over there 'manually'! Posted Image

Both the Moonraker and The World Is Not Enough BDs look unbelievably good, not seen any screen shots online yet though.

#37 of 65 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,226 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 02:12 PM

Sorry about the link Dale. I didn't know that HTF no longer allows links to AVS.

Here is another site with pictures of the Best Buy box art for the new Quantum, LTK and TMWTGG blu ray set:

Confirmed: Best Buy Exclusive Bond Giftset Is Here! | HighDefDiscNews

#38 of 65 OFFLINE   HighDefDiscNews

HighDefDiscNews

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 09:29 PM

thanks for the link! Posted Image
Justin Sluss of HighDefDiscNews.com

#39 of 65 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,653 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 04:29 AM

So this is kind of confusing. Is there going to be a fourth box set in May then that contains TMWTGG and LTK? I just bought the 3rd box set. And I was willing to wait till May for these 2 titles. But after reading the last few posts, I'm wavering! And the deal at Best Buy sunds pretty good, if they let me use the credit of having bought the third box towards this set.

#40 of 65 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 07:01 AM

Nelson - it appears that the May box set will actually be the one that is exclusive at BB right now - TMwtGG, LtK and QoS. I don't see why they would put out a 2 movie box set but I guess it's possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users