Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount Press Release: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,247 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 05:07 AM

Groundbreaking Winner of Three Academy Awards® Makes Home Entertainment Debut

BRAD PITT STARS IN DIRECTOR DAVID FINCHER’S SWEEPING EPIC NAMED BY OVER 150 CRITICS AS ONE OF THE BEST FILMS OF THE YEAR

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
One of the Year’s Most Critically-Acclaimed Films Arrives May 5, 2009 On Two-Disc Special Edition DVD and Two-Disc Blu-ray Brimming with Over Three Hours of Fascinating Special Features

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – A thrilling adventure and captivating story of one man’s unusual and enchanted life, director David Fincher’s Academy Award®-winning film THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON debuts as a two-disc DVD and two-disc Blu-ray on May 5, 2009 from Paramount Home Entertainment. Called “a monumental achievement” that “must be experienced” (Rex Reed, New York Observer), the film stars Academy Award nominee Brad Pitt who “does his best work ever” (Lou Lumenick, New York Post) and Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett who “is simply dazzling” (Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal) in an exhilarating adventure that takes viewers on a breathtaking journey filled with romance and redemption. Nominated for 13 Academy Awards and winner for Best Visual Effects, Art Direction and Makeup, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON also stars Academy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson (Hustle & Flow), Academy Award winner Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton) and Julia Ormond (Legends of the Fall)) in a grand tale of a not-so-ordinary man and the people and places he discovers along the way, the loves he finds, the joys and romance of life and what lasts beyond time.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON two-disc DVD and two-disc Blu-ray boast over three hours of enthralling special features including interviews with stars Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett with behind-the-scenes footage of their astonishing on-screen transformations, an in-depth documentary revealing the unusual journey of the film itself including the secrets of its award-winning visual effects and an exploration of the groundbreaking computer wizardry that brought the magical world of Benjamin Button to life.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON DVD & Blu-ray

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON two-disc and single-disc DVD are presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The two-disc Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. The two-disc Criterion Edition DVD and two-disc Criterion Blu-ray include the following special features:

o The Curious Birth of Benjamin Button—four-part documentary:
o Academy Award-nominated director David Fincher introduces the surprising beginnings of what would become an epic masterpiece including the casting of Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, the decision to change the location of the story to New Orleans and more.
o Follow the production from day one including the challenges of aging Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, designing over five thousand costumes and creating the animatronic baby.
o Explore the incredible visual effects techniques created specifically for the film that allowed Brad Pitt to play the title character at virtually every age. Also includes a visit to the scoring stage with composer Alexandre Desplat.
o Walk the red carpet at the film’s premiere in New Orleans, with final thoughts from cast and crew.
o Audio Commentary by director David Fincher

There is also a single-disc DVD presentation that includes the feature film.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
Street Date: May 5, 2009
Pricing: $29.99 U.S./$36.99 Canada (Single-Disc DVD)
$39.99 U.S./$45.99 Canada (Two-Disc Criterion DVD)
$39.99 U.S./$45.99 Canada (Two-Disc Criterion Blu-ray)
Runtime: 165 minutes
U.S. Rating: PG-13 for brief war violence, sexual content, language and smoking
Canadian Rating: PG for mature theme and coarse language
--

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 05:19 AM

If I can find this for a decent price, I will blind-buy this one.

In semi-related news, Fox this is your queue to announce Fight Club on BD. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
The two-disc Criterion Edition DVD and two-disc Criterion Blu-ray
Did anybody else catch this? Here's more from HDRoom:
Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment has confirmed The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is coming to Blu-ray Disc on May 5. We've known that for weeks now. What we didn't know is Paramount is releasing Benjamin Button as a "Criterion Collection" title complete with co-branded packaging sporting that familiar Criterion logo as well as the Paramount logo.
With the Criterion designation comes 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio instead of the typical 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio Paramount uses. Video will be in the form of 2.35:1 1080p.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Blu-ray is "Criterion" | HDR TheHDRoom
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted March 19 2009 - 07:13 AM

The Criterion release is a head scratcher. It just comes out of left field.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H
The Criterion release is a head scratcher. It just comes out of left field.
Yeah, but anything that gets Criterion releases more visibility while upping the quality of a studio's picture, audio and/or extras for a title is a good thing in my book. If this is true, it means they're actually working with at least one studio instead of essentially just licensing titles. Imagine a Paramount-Criterion release of, say, Apocalypse Now (hopefully with non-Storaroized AR) with the with all the Redux goodies and then some.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 07:23 AM

Well maybe the publicity will also help spur sales of their other Blu-ray releases? I'm hoping so.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 07:45 AM

A Paramount/Criterion joint bodes well for a Blu-ray release of Robinson Crusoe on Mars sooner rather than later.

(Paramount owns the film, but Criterion has released the only decent video versions.)

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,170 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 19 2009 - 07:55 AM

DVD Active has what I assume is the 2 disc DVD with the Criterion logos and spine number on it.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (US - DVD R1 | BD RA) in News > Releases at DVDActive

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 08:40 AM

Uh oh, I can already hear the people at the Criterion forum complain about how this should never be a Criterion film.
I haven't seen the film yet, but Fincher guarantees a must-buy on Blu. But if it's released by Criterion, does it mean it will be region-coded? I assume the other Blu-Ray releases for this will be the same, comparing the supplements?
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 19 2009 - 08:49 AM

A Criterion release with co-operation from a major studio has done before, most notably with Disney (Armageddon, The Rock, The Life Aquatic, etc.)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,047 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 19 2009 - 08:53 AM

I suspect Criterion's involvement here will be similar to its involvement with The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic i.e. Criterion does the legwork on supplements, encoding, etc., while Paramount handles duplication and distribution. As for whether it qualifies as a Criterion release, Criterion describes what it releases as "important classic and contemporary films" in its mission statement. That's a subjective standard by any measure, but I don't doubt that Benjamin Button will be considered an important film by some in the film community for many years to come.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,247 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 09:09 AM

Yes, it is a Criterion co-project.

Noticed this on the artwork. I was very short of time today to
include it in this thread but the artwork looks very elegant.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 21 ONLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 19 2009 - 12:01 PM

A day-and-date blind buy for THIS Forum member! Whoo-hoo!!!Posted Image

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 01:51 PM

I'm sure Criterion will do a great job, and the film is of course technically impeccable--it's Fincher, after all. It should be a great blu-ray, for fans of the film.

That said, I don't necessarily recommend a blind buy of this one, even if you're a Fincher fan. I'm a huge fan of Seven, Fight Club, and Zodiac, but after seeing this theatrically I don't have too much interest in owning the disc. Not that it's a bad movie--I just recommend a rental first.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   ccfixx

ccfixx

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 06:48 AM

Here ya go! "Benjamin Button" is now up at Criterion's website!

CC
Blu-Rays Owned:
245 Films
5 TV Seasons
5 Music

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,387 posts

Posted March 25 2009 - 09:52 AM

The most curious feature of this BluRay is that the first time you watch it, the film is grainy, scratched and faded. Every subsequent time you view it the picture, color and sound will improve.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted March 26 2009 - 03:08 AM

To me, this should have won Best Picture over Slumdog. Not taking anything away from Slumdog which I thought was a fabulous film, but Button resonated more and impacted me on a really deep level. I actually have a different outlook on my life and things in general solely based on how I interpreted certain parts of Button and his life.
I can't wait to add this to my collection. I'm especially looking forward to Fincher's commentary as he is one of the best at giving them.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   ccfixx

ccfixx

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 05:52 AM

Here's the blu-ray packaging for "Benjamin Button" as posted by cndchris over at CriterionForum.org.

CC
Blu-Rays Owned:
245 Films
5 TV Seasons
5 Music

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 01 2009 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfixx
Here's the blu-ray packaging for "Benjamin Button" as posted by cndchris over at CriterionForum.org.

CC

I wish Criterion would standardize their packaging. I realize this release is a bit of a 'special case'. Personally, I like the packaging for Wages of Fear the best.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,582 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 01 2009 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
The most curious feature of this BluRay is that the first time you watch it, the film is grainy, scratched and faded. Every subsequent time you view it the picture, color and sound will improve.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I'm a big fan of Fincher's work, but I think I'll give this a rental first owing to its unusual story structure.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow