Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Better Off Ted

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 OFFLINE   Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 04:32 AM

We watched Better Off Ted last night. I liked the show but the dialogue seemed to come fast and furious almost like they were trying to set up everything in 30 minutes that could have been done over a couple of shows.
"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#2 of 61 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 19 2009 - 05:41 AM

I enjoyed it and plan to keep watching.

#3 of 61 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted March 19 2009 - 06:16 AM

The show is doomed because I actually liked it. Posted Image

I liked the over the top products. This is set in my world which probably makes it funnier to me than others.

Favorite lines from last night:

"We need a mouse that can survive at 190 degrees"
"Computer mouse or live mouse?"
"I'll have to get back to you"
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#4 of 61 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,387 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 19 2009 - 06:21 AM

Sort of like General Electric meets the company from Dilbert. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, especially the rapid-fire pace. The only thing I'd change would be to get rid of Ted's home life.

#5 of 61 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,843 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted March 19 2009 - 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
The only thing I'd change would be to get rid of Ted's home life.
Yeah, that didn't really add anything to the mix. Maybe it will work better in future episodes. Overall though, this is funny pilot and I hope ABC sticks by it until it can find an audience. I'm not sure how much it is going to benefit from having Scrubs as a lead-in. I'd be tempted to flip their respective positions and have Better Off Ted lead off the hour at 8:00 p.m.
Gary

#6 of 61 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 01:23 PM

I watched about the first 10 minutes and decided it wasn't for me. Sort of an unfunny version of 'The Loop'.

#7 of 61 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 08:54 PM

I was really looking forward to this and enjoyed it.

Portia DeRossi's character was a real treat. Corrupt but very nice about it. Posted Image

#8 of 61 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted March 21 2009 - 06:23 AM

I watch a lot of television - probably way too much.

Well, I'm probably in the minority here but I thought the show was absolutely dreadful. It tried to take the theme from several other shows (The Office, Mad Men and Testes come to mind immediately and I'm sure there are many others) and put it together in a format that appeared to me as trying to be cutting edge and trying too hard. To me it was derivative drivel. As I mentioned in another ABC thread, this is the first time I ever remember cancelling my DVR "Season Pass" while watching the premiere episode. The very capable cast (the reason I was enthusiastic about its debut in the first place) deserves a lot better than this.

But what can we expect from ABC? Remember, this is the network that has killed Life on Mars, Eli Stone and Pushing Up Daisies only to substitute this garbage?!?

Posted Image Posted Image

Big time.

RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#9 of 61 OFFLINE   Joe S

Joe S

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted March 22 2009 - 11:30 AM

I kinda liked the premiere, but have a feeling that it is doomed.
It just didn't feel quite right.

It was nice to see Andrea Anders again, and I noticed that the guy who played Phil (Jonathan Slavin) had been Andy Richter's cubicle-mate on Andy Richter Controls The Universe.

#10 of 61 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 06:18 AM

I thought the episode got off to a fantastic start and I was really looking forward to watching the next several episodes. But as it continued I found myself less and less interested in it. The breaking the wall dialog ultimately seemed more contrived than clever and I agree that using his daughter as the "moral voice" felt even more contrived and out of place.

I'm going to give the show another episode before I drop it from the DVR - especially as you really can only tell where a show is going when you see a post-pilot episode where the notes, retoolings, etc have been implemented.

-greg

#11 of 61 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 07:13 AM

Due to its pedigree, I so wanted to like this that I gave it a lot of leeway. In the end, it was just okay (I didn't snort or guffaw even once) but I'll try it again next week. Sometimes it takes shows like this a few episodes to really find itself.

And for the record, I didn't mind the precocious daughter at all. Perhaps because I have one myself.

#12 of 61 OFFLINE   Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 11:10 AM

I enjoyed last nights episode. I hope this show does well enough to at least stay for a full season.
"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#13 of 61 OFFLINE   Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted March 27 2009 - 11:35 AM

I absolutely LOVED the first two episodes of this show. I hope it will catch on enough to stick around. The Office has been the only sitcom I've truly enjoyed for the past few years, but this had me laughing out loud very hard throughout. I'm a sucker for that Howard Hawks-style rapid fire dialogue, and the delivery from everyone in the cast is just unbelievable. This is first-rate in my book.

#14 of 61 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,387 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 27 2009 - 01:13 PM

I didn't like the second episode as much as the first, mainly because it recycled way too many jokes from the pilot. That being said, the new stuff was a very funny and I'm loving the Dilbert-esque vibe.

#15 of 61 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 05:27 PM

Eagle cry!

I loved it. Didn't know there was a second episode airing so soon, I just saw the premiere episode the other day,
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#16 of 61 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 07:48 AM

i'm kinda liking this show even though it's not very original. as much as i like Portia de Rossi (especially in Arrested Development), i find her acting/character the weakest on the show. it's the most unnatural. hopefully she develops it, or her lines get better.
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#17 of 61 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,612 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 08:29 AM

I've really enjoyed the first two episodes of this show and plan to continue watching. I for one hope it sticks.

#18 of 61 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted March 28 2009 - 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW
i'm kinda liking this show even though it's not very original. as much as i like Portia de Rossi (especially in Arrested Development), i find her acting/character the weakest on the show. it's the most unnatural. hopefully she develops it, or her lines get better.

Her character is supposed to be odd though -- unable to do small talk, amazing at having no sense of morality in business, unparalleled vanity, etc. I think she will indeed grow on us as her character starts to have other known traits.

But these sorts of humor shows are ALWAYS canceled very soon after they start. Andy Richter Controls the Universe was like this too. Pushing Daisies was a bit like this (except Daisies was more of a drama). Networks executives always get scared that this kind of humor isn't what they vaguely remember having watched on tv back when they still watched tv, and they axe them.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#19 of 61 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted March 29 2009 - 03:26 AM

I just loved that Blobby tasted like despair. That sounds exactly like what lab grown meat would taste like.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#20 of 61 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted March 30 2009 - 10:13 AM

Veronica's unnatural personality is what makes her fun to watch. She was the reason I tuned in. I find this show more interesting than flat-out funny.

Company website:

http://veridiandynamics.com/

Forum Nav Content I Follow