What's new

Sony BDP S550 no LFE (1 Viewer)

cashman

Auditioning
Real Name
SEan Cashin
I am totally ticked off.

I just purchased the Sony BPD S550 solely for the purpose of the analog outputs to my Onkyo TX S575. This reviever does not have HDMI nor does it decode Dolby True HD. Nonetheless I learned that I reap the benefits of the advanced decoding in the BR-DVD player to get superior quality audio out of the multi-channel outputs. I even went the extra step to purchase monster cables for the analog jacks.

The reveiver has 5.1 input so I had to shut off the rear surrounds in the player.

The fronts and surround sounds awesome but I'm getting noting out of the sub. My paradigm AT12 litterally shuts off after a period of time because I don't think it's receiving a signal.

I have the sub turned on in the BRDVD player.
I have the sub level cranked at +12Ddb in the BR-DVD player.
I have the distance in the room max'd at 24 ft in the BR-DVD player.
I have the sub level cranked in the multi-channel output of the receiver at +12 db.

still Nothing

Is ther anything I can do with the sub controls that can help?

Can I temporariily hook another channel source through the receivers multichannel sub connection to confirm the problem is not with the reciever?

I googled this issue and was blown away with the forum threads, but still did not see a solution for this.

Can this not be fixed with simple upgrade from Sony

Does anyone have any ideas?

I really want to get that dedeicated LFE output working.

As an alternative option, can I wire the sub from two sources at the same time, from the reciever and the front speakers?

I was thinking I could set the front speakers to large in the BR-DVD and let the sub handle the frequencies below the crossover. The speakers are set up as small in the reciever so when I listen to other sources, the dedicated LFE output to the sub should also work.

Any ideas?

Totally ticked

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What source are you using to test this? (Or, have you tried it using the test tones? If you're using a DVD it's quite possible that the DVD doesn't have an LFE track.)

Have you tried it using an optical cable?

And yes, I'd be ticked too if I spent good money on Monster cables.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
List all the audio settings you have for the Sony player. Does the test tone from the player work with the sub?

I assume you have audio priority "multich analog" and all speakers set to small on the Sony. Double check that level control on the player, are you sure it's "+12dB"? My reading of the manual suggests that it is actually "-12dB", only offering level trims not level boosts. It may be that you are supposed to set it to 0dB and cut the other channels instead.

cashman

Auditioning
Real Name
SEan Cashin
Excellent cooments

To anser some of you comments:

There was no sound coming from the sub during the tone test.

I will try the coax on the dvd player tonight to see if the sub works in that arrangement.

I will also temporarily switch the center channel into and out of the sub woofer channer to rule out a reciever problem

I think you are right about the -12db on the sub bot I may have misled you on that one. As you change the levels of the speakers in the DVD, the speaker icons indicate whether you are incresing or decreasing level. Idefinately increased the sub level (probably to 0 db) but I didn't change the other spekers. I will try that tonight as well

Lastly, one of the brainstormers in my office suggested that I try a phono preamp in sub line between the DVD and the receiver. I am borrowing one tonight and will try that as well.

I hope this works

cashman

Auditioning
Real Name
SEan Cashin
EUREKA!

I thought I would recheck the connections again and I'll be darn.

The line input to the reciever was a liitle out

Now I have to turn the bass levels down

It sound great

If I can get a decibel meter from the office. I would try to calibrate the levels better.

Is there a standard process for doing this?

NOT TICKED OFF ANYMORE

tlr

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You still should be a little since you bought Monster. Pledge your allegiance to Monoprice and all will be forgiven.

-Robert

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
You probably could have bought the AQ Sidewinder interconnects I have for sale for the price you paid for the Monster Cables.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

Because you pay a premium price for an average product.

If you can return them, you should save yourself money and do so. If not, in the future use monoprice or bluejeanscable (both online retailers).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
To calibrate your system until you use a more accurate method, you can use your ears. But do it carefully i.e. take your time, don't have any other noise-producing equipment in the room turned on etc. Unfortunately, some dvds and TV shows just aren't mixed all that well, so occasionally you'll still end up getting blasted from behind or straining to hear dialog from the center channel.

Users who are viewing this thread