Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Will we ever see the offical beatles release of "let it be" on dvd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   bpaller617

bpaller617

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 08:16 AM

I'm an avid beatles collector and i'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see "let it be" on dvd. Granted it's not the beatles best film but i would think it could be a great seller for apple. There has been rumor that it would be released over the last couple of years but it seems to have been pushed back or not even being released at all. Has anyone heard anything on this? Apple could do a really great job with this by making it a 2-3 disk set with outtakes and director commentary. I also remember hearing that paul and ringo do not want this to be released at all. any thoughts?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 10:48 AM

I remember reading somewhere that it was remastered and ready to go right before Harrison fell ill. He apparently didn't like the idea of releasing it again as he thought it was all bad karma. I have a copy of the film from the original VHS release back in the early eighties. I am a huge Beatles fan and would always welcome a DVD release, but I do have to say that with the exception of the rooftop scene it is a slow, boring, bummer of a movie. If it ever appears on DVD I wonder what we will see in terms of out-takes? I bet there was some really interesting things left on the cutting room floor.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 01:27 PM

Didn't Paul say somewhere that it was a miserable time and he didn't want to be reminded of it so he wasn't going to put himself through watching the footage again. That's why it's not on DVD and probably won't be.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   danielmartin

danielmartin

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 03:37 PM

..."probably won't be."
Oh c'mon. Although neither McCartney nor Starkey are about to go broke anytime soon, this release would be instant ka-ching for all involved. It would not only generate money from its own release, but kick-start a flood of sales for their other available items. The Beatles can do no wrong, not even a film that breaks into a down-beat, straggly-haired impression of a bitter divorce. The music is still pretty special and I remember seeing it re-released in 1980 or abouts and the crowds were pretty good. If they were to tag on some of those extras found in a suitcase a few years ago, it would be top of the news stuff. It may take a handful of years and some intense pressure from a lot of people, but it will be released.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,255 posts

Posted March 16 2009 - 11:43 PM

This was supposed to be out 4 years ago.

I mean, there was official word from Apple about the restoration
and planned release.

I don't doubt, given the quirkiness of the surviving Beatles over
their material, that this project was shelved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 05:23 AM

By contract, any Beatles projects require all four (Paul, Ringo and the estates of George and John) to unanimously sign off. If one disagrees, the whole thing is shelved.

I have read that LIB was remastered and ready to go, but was short one signature (supposedly Yoko). But I also remember George Harrison being reluctant to discuss those sessions for the Anthology. I don't think it's anyone's favorite.

I'd sure like to see it released, though.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   bpaller617

bpaller617

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 06:34 AM

What a shame if it's never going to be released---yes i can pick up a copy on e-bay but the quality of these are quite poor. We're comming up on the 40th anniversery of this films release and i'm hoping that we'll see a release. Sure the film is boring in parts but as far as a documentary of the bands break up is quite intersesting. And of course the music is great. IMO magical mystery tour was a far worse film than let it be and it got a dvd release. And of course the rooftop sequence is classic. Sadly we may have to settle for a bootleg copy of this interesting documentary.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   buttmunker

buttmunker

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 01:58 PM

It'll be released eventually. Guess after the deaths of Ringo, Paul, Yoko, and all the wives. Of couse, we'll all be dead by then, but at least we'll die with that confidence. Posted Image
"The power of love will keep you home at night" -Huey Lewis & The News

"I give in to sin because you have to make this life liveable" -Depeche Mode

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 17 2009 - 02:05 PM

But then their kids will get the say-so.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,204 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 03:54 PM

I'd be happy with an anamorphic re-issue of YELLOW SUBMARINE.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,898 posts

Posted March 18 2009 - 11:40 PM

One of several other threads on this:
http://www.hometheat....aul-ringo.html

As recently as last summer, Apple said they do have plans to release Let It Be. Another pitch for the release of "Let It Be" on DVD

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,191 posts

Posted March 19 2009 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I'd be happy with an anamorphic re-issue of YELLOW SUBMARINE.

I Agree! Posted Image Posted Image
Joseph
---------------