What's new

Sci-Fi becomes Syfy (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
SyFy stands for NOTHING. What a bunch of idiots. SciFi at least told you exactly what kind of programming you were getting. What kind of morons are these? And to blast their own core audience with this:

Idiots.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Which is precisely what makes the change attractive to the network. "Sci-Fi" is a generic term generally disliked even by fans of the genre itself. "SyFy" is a unique term, easy to copyright and trademark and to turn into a specific "brand". Why do you think cars have stupid names like "Altima", which also mean nothing. Because they avoid the twin problems of overlapping with existing trademarks and copyrights and because they aren't so generic that it become easy to confuse them with offerings from other car makers.

Regards,

Joe

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They think the name is the problem? How about all the lame made-for-TV garbage they crank out like "Alien Vs. Hunter" or the sure-to-be-in-production "CHIMP!".

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Talk about pissing on Forrest Ackerman's grave...

Turns out that "syfy" actually does mean something not very nice in Polish! :laugh:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

From what I've read it is a sort of all-purpose cuss word, the plural of a word originally derived from the Polish for "syphillis" and which can mean - depending on context - anything from "pimple" to "scum" to "crap". So the new name could be considered a form of truth in advertising. :D

Regards,

Joe

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can understand why they want to get from the sci-fi nerd stereotype but they just changed it from Sci-Fi to SyFy. That's like if my name was Chris and I changed it to Khris- what's the point of the name change when it's still said the same way and in the case of the channel, it still brings up the same stereotype that they want to get away from?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This makes me so angry, that I now need to go watch an episode of my favorite sci-fi series, Star Track. Yeah!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Worst marketing decision I've ever seen by network.

Time to start calling it "Siffy".

Roger_R

Second Unit
"Imagine Greater".... what? It's not even a sentence. :S

If they wanted a channel without science fiction, why not make a new one instead of turning the existing science fiction channel into something else? Executives make no sense to me.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
After Galactica is done, i wont have a reason to watch, at all.
They also stopped being Sci-Fi when you could watch the movie Always on USA, and Sci-Fi...at the same time! Cause as you know Always, is pure Sci-Fi...rrrriigghht.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Hehe, that's right up there with trying to market the Chevy Nova in spanish speaking countries.

For those that don't know any spanish "no va" pretty much translates to "no go", which doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in potential car-buying customers.

And now we have the Pimple Network starting in July. And here I thought they were trying to get away from the pimply geek image.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Dumbest. Move. Ever.

Why didn't they do the intelligent thing and rename it something like ImagineTV or the Imagine Network? It still covers all the points that they want the name change to make, it's spelled correctly AND it doesn't look ridiculous.

Mary_P

Second Unit
It sounds like something badly translated from the original Japanese.

And, um, "Syfy" is seen as less geeky than Sci-Fi? Er, um, okaaaayyyyy....

(Well, it is less geeky in that most geeks I know -- and I'm including myself here -- can spell.)

Arild

Supporting Actor
Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe producer Joseph Mallozzi (doesn't) comment on the name change in his blog.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks