What's new

New to HT (2 Viewers)

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Hello all,

I am in the market for my first HT system. I've been reading about Onkyo's HTIB the 9100 series model 7.1 and it looks pretty good, even some of the reviews are inpressive. My question is, is there any others out there that come close to this one within that price range? Or is this the one to get? I'm in Canada so I'm wondering what website I can get this from?? I've looked on Amazon and they're out of stock for this product. I am also looking at getting a Samsung LCD Series 7 52". This is the actual model # LN52A750 Does anyone have any input at all?? Sorry for the vague post, I'm a newb so I'm here to learn. Thank you to whomever replies
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I've never heard of SVS to be honest. I was initially looking at Nuance, and found out that they're just a gimick. Then I was reading about the Onkyo HTIB systems and they sounded great.
Now, reading about SVS, it just makes this whole thing a little more confusing!!

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I can't find what receiver comes with the Onkyo 9100 HTIB. It's a THX certified system, and the only Onkyo receiver I see on their website that is THX certified, is the 806.
Also, if I do decide to go with the SVS system, what receiver would be best for SVS's 7.1 setup with the 12" sub???

Thanks again

dmurph112

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
I read that the difference between the Samsung A750 and A650 is the extra memory storage for use with a computer i think. Oknyo is coming out in april with a new reciever model the 607, with 7.2 surround. Watch what receiver you get cause you might want HDMI capabilities.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Kerry,

The 706 is THX Select certified. Not sure about the 606.

Based on the price of the 9100 in the US, an Onkyo 606 and the SVS package would be about $200 more. Of course I'm not in Canada, so the prices may vary. The reason I point this option out is the upgrade you will get over the Onkyo speakers.

You could go with an Onkyo 576 as well, but if you get Blu-Ray in the future, you will have to get one that decodes the new formats.

Also, check out Axiom speakers (axiomaudio.com). Their prices start higher than SVS, but since they are in Canada, it may be cheaper for you. I'm pretty sure SVS has a Canadian distributer as well.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Yes, I deff. want HDMI inputs on the receiver. I'm not worrying about a Blu Ray player b/c I have a PS3

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Still unsure about the HT setup I'm going to go with. All I know at the moment is, is that I'm probably going to get a Samsung Series 7 LCD in a couple of weeks. I think after that I done I will look more into HT setups.
The biggest issue I have is that I only have Futureshop to shop at really. It seems to me their HT selection is pretty limited. The SVS speakers look pretty good IMO but there's no way I would be able to hear them which is a drawback

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I've never read the manual for one of Onkyo's HTiBs, but I'll bet one advantage they have over a pieced-together system is that the owner doesn't need to guess at the crossover points and other important receiver/speaker integration issues.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Hi Lance, thanks for dropping in. I never even thought of that, all of this HT stuff is new to me. How does a person accomplish figuring out crossover points and such, with a "peiced together" setup? The more I think about it, the more I think I should go with the Onkyo 9100 since it is my first experience with HT. At least that way I have everything that I need as well as getting it from a respectable company. The other issue is that I wouldn't be able to hear the Onkyo system either........

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Kerry: choosing crossover points for an HT system's satellite speakers and subwoofer is sort of a gut instinct i.e. experience + science process. I'll admit right up front I am no expert on it but do know one thing: IMO the 80Hz crossover setting mentioned here so much is not applicable to all sat+sub systems. I regularly see blown out midwoofers on the tiny sats so preferred by A/V retailers for their demo systems, systems with 80Hz used as the crossover point (to make sure I pulled up the receiver's speaker setting menu) and see forum posts about fried sats that seem to involve the same issue.*

This is actually something I have wanted to start a thread about for awhile now, something along the lines of "My sat is rated to reach down to 50Hz - what is a safe but still good-sounding crossover setting for it?" But frequency response graphs are sometimes shall we say overly optimistic, so maybe the question should just include the size of the woofer(s) to make it easier to answer?

If it helps any, I have heard a couple of Onkyo's HTiB systems and liked the way they sounded, including the subwoofer (AFAIK Onkyo builds their own drivers, which helps with sound quality and pricing). They weren't audiophile quality but more importantly, didn't produce any *irritating* sound either, something that strange as it seems also requires engineering skill to design and build. This is just me, but if a system produces a sound that "jumps out at you", there's a good chance you'll tire of it quickly after just a few days.

* blown tweeters can also result: while a high system crossover point may save the midwoofer, the tweeter's crossover - which is built into the cabinet - is not changed, so if someone really cranks up their receiver there's a good chance the tweeter may be sent too much power....and tweeters usually blow with very little audible warning ----> usually in a system with no bass filters activated, when overloaded the woofers will generate audible noises (harshness or very obvious "clunks" that are produced by the cone banging against its frame) to indicate this condition, causing the owner to jump out of his La-Z-Boy beer in hand
and turn down the volume.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
If I can get it, I'm going to go with the Onkyo 9100 HTIB setup. I've read alot of reviews on it and they're very positive. This is my first one as you all know so, I think this would be the easiest way to get myself started with a good sounding system.
I just found this on the Futureshop website as well. It has the TV I want, but what do you all think of the HTIB it comes with?? I still like the Onkyo setup, just looking for opinions
Thanks again all

Future Shop: TV & Video: TV Packages: Samsung 52 inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV Home Theatre System

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
IMO you will be much happier with a good 5.1ch system vs a so-so 7.1ch system. Most people do NOT need 7.1 channels in their HT. Additionally, it is very difficult to accommodate so many speakers in a non dedicated space (due to windows, doorways, etc.,). Think very carefully about your decision... a receiver + speakers (vs a HTIB) will likely give you a lot more for your $$$.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I appreciate your input Greg, thanks for stopping in!
I never really thought about placement for 7 speakers all that much. I just assumed that 7.1 is the new standard and that everything in the future would be going to 7.1 instead of 5.1.
I'm still up in the air over a HT system as you can tell. I think I'll worry about just a TV for now, and I'll find out more on HTIB vs. receiver + speakers. I'm really suprised at how confusing this whole thing is!! I figured it would be MUCH easier!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks