Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

just got a new tv...again

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   WilliamHg

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted March 12 2009 - 09:03 PM

after buying and returning more than one television i finally wound up with the new LG 37LH20 model.

it's a step up in size from the 32 inch i had but is 720 and not 1080. the picture is fine for me but my question is this:

it has a calibration program sort of like avia or video essentials but not as detailed. my concern is after i calibrate it the contrast setting is up around 90. the back light is at 50 and the others according to the calibration program are close to the middle.

as i said the picture is fine but i'm concerned about the contrast being set so high at 90. is that normal?

i have the avia calibration disk and will try it this weekend and do a comparison test.

thanks,

william

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHg
after buying and returning more than one television i finally wound up with the new LG 37LH20 model.

it's a step up in size from the 32 inch i had but is 720 and not 1080. the picture is fine for me but my question is this:

it has a calibration program sort of like avia or video essentials but not as detailed. my concern is after i calibrate it the contrast setting is up around 90. the back light is at 50 and the others according to the calibration program are close to the middle.

as i said the picture is fine but i'm concerned about the contrast being set so high at 90. is that normal?

i have the avia calibration disk and will try it this weekend and do a comparison test.

thanks,

william

Sounds fine to me. There are two ways of controlling the overall light output of the set--increasing or decreasing the backlight brightness and increasing or decreasing the contrast setting. A dimmer backlight setting of about 50 enhances the contrast ratio--less light for the pixels to block when they're supposed to be black. The high contrast setting is giving you truer whites, and on an lcd set will cause no burn-in or premature dimming as it might with a phosphor based (plasma or crt) display.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted March 19 2009 - 03:20 AM

The contrast should be up as high as possible without clipping of the white signal. At that point you can consider lowering a bit if eye fatigue develops.

Depending on the black light....leave the contrast up and adjust the backlight for eye fatigue and daytime vs night time viewing.

Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   WilliamHg

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 08:04 PM

thanks very much steve and gregg. that helps alot.

william